Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones and Elvis




Just saw on the news that Davy Jones from the Monkees died today.  Now, I always liked the Monkees but I'll be honest with you, it was Davy Jones that I loved!  My cousin and I used to imitate our aunts (whe were not that much older than we were) and pretend that we were going out on dates.  My cousin, Glenda, always had Elvis as her date.  My date was Davy Jones, always, every time!  When Glenda came to my wedding shower, just before I married my husband from England, she hugged me and said, "You finally got your Davy Jones!"


"Oh, I could hide neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings"

Now, this is not to say that I don't love Elvis.  I do, but I always felt as if Elvis was like a relative to me, he reminded me very much of one of my favorite uncles, Jake.  I grew up watching the really silly movies Elvis made, but I loved them.  Hey, he was Elvis!  When he did that special that they now call the "Comeback Special" in 1968,  I can still remember how really special that TV show was...one of the songs that he did on that show was especially written for his show and I thought of it today because one of the lines from the song is "there must be birds flying higher in a sky more blue". (I suppose I was thinking of my blue sky photos from Stone Mountain.)  After Elvis was given this song to sing...he said he was never going to sing another song he didn't believe in, or make a movie he didn't believe in.  If you watch him sing this song, there is such emotion in his voice and in his movements.  I wish the singers of today had just half as much heart and soul...
 Davy Jones and Elvis Presley, I love them both.  They may now both be gone, but I will always love them.

14 comments:

  1. Having read another tribute to Davy Jones I realise he was quite a heart-throb. Prior to that I had always thought of him as the funny one! I loved the Monkees because they weren't afraid to be different -
    We're just trying to be friendly,
    So come and Hey, hey, we're the Monkees
    And people say we monkey around,
    But we're too busy singing
    To put anybody down.

    A great philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Scriptor (John!),
      Ha! I always like funny men the best! You can keep Brad Pitt, I love Jim Carrey and Michael J. Fox!

      And yes, that was a good philosophy...the USA was going through such turmoil in the 60's, that little show was a welcome relief from it and I recognized that even though I was only 10 years old!

      Delete
  2. Davy Jones was my favorite too and I used to watch the Monkees all the time. He was too young to leave us so soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay,
      Way too young, and such a shock for his family and friends...we have had some sudden deaths in our community recently and it just seems like their are so many heart attacks these days.

      Delete
  3. I ran across this news yesterday. He was still quite young. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha,
      Such a shame to read of his passing, a part of my childhood that I remember with fondness.

      Delete
  4. Another childhood crush gone! I loved Davy too, he was so cute! And Elvis - my brother was obsessed with him, so we had his music 24/7 and I loved it.I loved hearing those songs again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sulky Kitten,
      So charming and cute! My little sister was born in 1966 and we bombarded her night and day with the Monkees! (My older sister and I).
      And Elvis! One of those aunts that I talked about was crazy about Elvis, my sister and I had promised her we would take her to see Elvis but then he died just a few months after we made that promise...
      So glad that you liked the songs that I picked! I waded through a lot of them (bad quality) before I chose these videos. I don't know why I do, someone told me that hardly anybody ever clicks on them to listen!

      Delete
  5. I had a crush on Davy Jones too. I love that clip you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tracey,
    You look as if you are too young to remember Davy Jones! You even look like my baby sister born in 1966, if you go back to my August posts from 2011, you can see my pretty blonde sisters.
    Pam is the youngest, and you look more like her than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought Davy Jones was cute, too, and watched the Monkees on TV when my Southern Baptist preacher daddy would let me (he was pretty strict about what we watched, which of course meant I didn't see much of Elvis until I left home).

    I love your story about you and your cousin Glenda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Beth,
      Oh, I am so happy to see your comment here! If your Daddy was a strict preacher, does that mean you were like the wild girl from "Footloose"?
      That Glenda was a hoot, still is actually! She used to HIDE her Betty & Veronica comic books from me, otherwise, I would never play with her, just read all her comics!

      Delete
  8. I was saddened to hear of Davy Jones - he was way too young to go.

    I've seen this Comeback Special many times and am always transfixed by Elvis. What a magnetic presence and I have to admit that every time I watch or listen to him I get choked up - for me there is no bigger talent or star in this lifetime. He was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jane,
    I never saw him live but they say that if you had seen him in concert, you would never forget it. What a singer, and as you say, a magnetic presence! Even though he is gone, we still have his wonderful voice that we can listen to...

    ReplyDelete