Friday, April 5, 2024

Glossolalia (Not Just Gibberish)


Guess what, our son has just written a piece about music on a site called "Audio Phix!  Yes!  Now, I'm I being terrible if I ask you to look at it and read it? Pretty please, will you?

Here is the link-  Revisiting Cocteau Twins' 'Heaven or Las Vegas' (audiophix.com)

"Glossolalia", you should know that word now if you read the article!

(I think of it as from the Bible, meaning "talking in tongues". Perhaps you do too?)

It would make me so happy if you clicked on that link! (It would also please Christopher very much also!)  Oh yes and share it with your friends! 


The following song is "Half Gifts" by the Cocteau Twins.  It is a live performance and very often, I love to share a video of something that has been performed in front of a live audience. I love her angelic voice and the beautiful instruments.






Can you think of a song that uses unusual sounds that somehow makes the song even better than just using words? You know what I am thinking of....






  "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"!  If you are not singing yet, what is stopping you? (Lots to say about the history of this song, perhaps that will be C's next article!)

Let me know if you were able to read Christopher's online article!

You guys are the BEST!  I thank you sincerely.






Maybe you can't buy
HAPPINESS
but you can listen to 
MUSIC
and that's almost the
SAME THING

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, mom! Her voice is truly angelic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article! I never thought of nonsense lyrics, gibberish or scat singing as examples of glossolalia before. Like you, I only thought of that term as the Biblical "speaking in tongues."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading his piece! I'm glad I worded my post in that way, since I think sometimes there is great meaning behind sounds that we just can't comprehend since we think of words only as a means to communicate.

      Delete
  3. I did read his interesting article and look forward to reading more. Inna Gooda Da Vida came to mind almost immediately. It is actually made of slurred sounds of real words. No wonder we enjoy music so muxh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That took me back. Been a fan of the Cocteau Twins for decades, since the 1980s. Also This Mortal Coil and Dead Can Dance, all three sing in glossolalia. My favourite C.T album is Treasure. Soaring vocals at their very best. Dead can Dance also do incredible stuff in their online videos. Complete works of art in five minute chunks. Bob. BSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! Happy to bring back music memories for you too!

      Delete
  5. I think Chris is terrific, and, yes, I did read his article. I don't know if I'll add Glossolalia to my daily vocabulary, but it's good to know. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for reading his article! I tend not to use words that I can stumble over as I say them. I had to have speech class as a child to help my lisp and anything with the letter "s" I still have to watch out for! LOL!!

      Delete
  6. Interesting name - Cocteau Twins. Why that name I wonder?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered the same thing! It was due to two gentlemen who admired the work of Jean Cocteau. The two gentlemen being film snobs, apparently! And God bless you and thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. I wondered if there was a connection to Jean Cocteau.

      Thanx Kay. God bless.

      Delete
    3. I drive myself crazy looking things up- and reading it all out loud to my husband! LOL.

      Delete
    4. You should read your husband some of my humourous books. Download them FREE from www.holyvisions.co.uk

      God bless.

      Delete
    5. I just read about your books on your last blog post. You are an author! That's wonderful. I have birthday coming up, might have to drop some hints. :-)

      Delete
  7. I read his article and it was very interesting to see how this method is used in music and I really enjoy learning something new! Both videos were fun to listen too. Her voice is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, YAYA!! Glad you listened to the videos!! xx

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've ever heard of the Cocteau Twins - but I do remember The Lion sleeps tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely do we know The Lion Sleeps Tonight!! Of course, I have fond memories of it from "The Lion King" movie also!

      Delete