Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Our Funny Dad





Daddy had to have eye surgery on Monday in downtown Atlanta.  When I told him that I  planned on taking the day off and offered to have a home-cooked meal waiting for him when he got home, he said that he would need to eat in Atlanta, as soon as he finished the surgery. (Hmm...funny how everyone always wants to eat out when I mention to them I will cook for them...I wonder why that is?) My sister, Jan, offered to drive Daddy and Dale (our wonderful step-mother) and I offered to come along with them and that we would make a party out of it. Without missing a beat, Daddy said, "I'll bring the beer and wine".  Now, he will turn 85 at the end of this month, and I only wish that I could be as quick and as funny as he is!
I hope you will like these photos! That first one was from his birthday party last year, and that was a birthday card that someone had given him and when I asked him to pose with it, that was his idea to pose just like the monkey.  It really captures his playful nature.
 Daddy has had some wonderful dogs in his life.  The dog pictured with him is Hershey and she became very ill and had to be put to sleep a few weeks ago. Can you tell how devoted she was to Daddy? I miss Hershey.  ( I am glad for every pat on the head I gave her and every little piece of meat that I would sneak to her!)  The next photo is from the family reunion in September and that is his nephew, Edward with him and Daddy is joking about the big bottle of Diet Coke and pretending that they will get drunk on that!
What happened at the surgery?  When we got there, he kept saying, "When we get out of here, we are going the the Varsity to get a chili-dog!"  (The Varsity in Atlanta is well-known in Atlanta, it has been there since 1928 and when we were kids, Daddy would take us there and got a kick out of the antics of the young men who would wait on you in your car...sometimes on roller skates!)  After his surgery, we were allowed to go back to see him, and then we all walked out together.  As we came  through the lobby (where the others were waiting for their surgery) he walked slowly past them, solemnly shaking his head, saying quietly..."Don't do it, don't do it".  I saw a man's eyes widen at this and then Daddy breaks out into a big smile and claps his hands and points at the man, saying the same thing but then, the man knows he is "kidding" and you can feel his tension ease.  That is what laughter is all about, isn't it? 
I have written about Daddy before.  If you look in my search engine at the upper right of my blog, you can find and read some of my earlier posts about him.  I think he is the funniest man that I know, even though my husband comes very close!  Time magazine, a few years ago, did a story on aging and studied people from around the world who had lived to a great age and they had two things in common: There wasn't a fat one in the group or a GROUCHY one! (I turned to my husband and said, "Oh no, that counts me out!)


 One other thing, besides being very funny...Daddy will just drop everything to help people and since he loves country music , I have chosen this song for you since it could have been written with him in mind. 

28 comments:

  1. Glad your dad's surgery went well. I know you cherish those time with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay,
      Thanks for your comment! He is one cherished Dad, I can tell you.

      Delete
  2. What a great outlook he has on life. He must be fun to be around. I am glad his surgery went well.
    Hershey was very sweet, I'm sorry she had to be put to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tracey,
      My Dad is the best! And Hershey was a sweetheart of a dog, it was very sad to lose her. I didn't say, but last May, my Dad & Step-Mom lost their little Boston Terrier, Brandi and that was very upsetting for them.

      Delete
  3. I've said it before, but I am not afraid of being a bit repetitive sometimes: your Dad is a great guy, and how much you love him shines through every time you mention him!
    Good to know the surgery went well.
    I am sure he misses Hershey a lot, it is always so sad when we lose a beloved pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meike,
      He has lost several pets over the last few years and it is very sad. Brandi, their Boston Terrier, was a big loss for them just last Spring.
      And I had to do this post on Daddy, since he made me laugh so much on Monday!

      Delete
  4. Your Dad looks like a joy to have around - he likes to have fun and that's part of what keeps him so young :) Have you been to Martha's blog today? She did a post on people who make the 'Duck Face' and that's the first thing I thought of when I saw that first pic!! Glad to hear his surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane,
      Thanks for telling me, I hadn't seen her post yet and it looks as if we posted at the exact same time. Funny isn't it, great minds think alike!
      Daddy is a "mess", as we say in the South...such a funny, funny guy and he truly enjoys life.

      Delete
  5. This was lovely to read - your dad sounds like a total sweetheart! He looks great as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks and thanks too from my Dad! If you can think of Clark Gable would have looked like if he had lived to be in his 80's, that would be my Dad.

      Delete
  6. I like your Dad. Hershey story made me sad. Song made me happy again. Thanks for this nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John!
      Thank you. I have written about my Dad before, if you would like to read about him. His memories of Germany just after the war are pretty amazing...

      Delete
  7. Oh Kay, your dad sounds like a sweetheart and he reminds me of my own father who left this world a few years ago. He also had a very playful side and a wonderful sense of humour. He was a terrific father, husband, grandfather and friend. Everyone just loved him, and I have the most beautiful memories all the way back to my childhood. You are very fortunate to have a father like that in your life, and I am so happy for you. I'm sorry about Hershey (what a cute name!). I'm sure your dad misses him. By the way, your father looks amazing! 85, you say? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha,
      I am grateful that I am close to my Dad, since I know many adults who are not close to their parents. And yes, he will be 85 this month and I just hope I can have his energy if I make it to my 80's!

      Delete
  8. When my dad died 3 years ago he had not lost his sense of humor, he was 81, had leg braces up to his hips, and fell off the neighbors' roof helping to do some work for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pastor Dennis,
      I am so sorry for your loss, what a wonderful father he must have been! I just read this quote and I really like it..."Recall a happy memory as often as you like, you can NEVER wear it out."

      Delete
  9. Hi Kay, Your Dad sounds lovely. I lost my Dad last year and still miss him greatly. He too had a great sense of humour and was as bright as a button at 91. It was our first trip back down to Sussex without him being down there. A very strange break indeed. As promised we went to the hotel in Eastbourne and had a cup of tea; leastways David did, I hate the stuff and stick to coffee. We said "Hi Kay" as we drank. We then went up to Beachy Head and got lost in the fog. It was a dreadful day - but we still enjoyed it!

    I must say, I love the picture at the top of this Blog. This is the first view I ever had of Stone Mountain. Amazing. So enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat!
      I am sorry for the loss of your father. As you say, it does make it so different when you don't have that familar face...
      I am so pleased you made it to the Hydro Hotel! I am trying to find out if Lewis Carroll visited there, it was built just a few years before he died, so I am not sure...but I had a very strong sense of him when I was there. And you remembered me when you drank! I am tickled! Fog at Beachy Head! Oh yes, I have seen that too...I am sorry, because it is much better when it is clearer, isn't it?
      Oh, I am glad you like the Stone Mountain photo...that was taken by Richard, of course. Having said that, all the photos on this post was taken by me...I take more photos of people!
      Thank you! It was so nice to see this from you! :-)
      Love,
      Kay

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful man your dad sounds! The photo cracked me up. He must be so much fun to have around!

    And, seems like I'm counted out of the great age gang on TWO counts then... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny,
      My Dad is a hoot! I laugh until I cry when I am around him.
      HA HA on the great age gang...with neither of us included! :-)

      Delete
  11. Great post about a great man! Glad all went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John!
      Thank you! I just wish I could write a better post about him, he deserves it, but this is the best writing I can do!

      Delete
  12. Glad it all went well; he sounds like a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that your dad's surgery went well. Your dad is a a sweetheart and your love for him comes thru the lines. What a sweetheart, one can see his impish eyes through the pictures. Hershey looks adorable in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, you can see from his eyes the mischief, can't you?
      Hershey was a wonderful sweet dog, and yes, I think you can tell that from the photo.

      Delete
  14. You are blessed to have such a happy and well 85 year old Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Barbara,
    You better believe it and I am grateful!
    Hope YOU are well and happy these days! :-)

    ReplyDelete