Thursday, November 30, 2023

Georgia Girl With a Heart for The World

 




The memorial service for Rosalynn Carter, former First Lady was shown on live TV here in Georgia, her home state. Did you see it too? I found it to be very moving. I loved the hymns (''Blessed Assurance", "Great Is Thy Faithfulness", "What Wondrous Love" and one that we had when Richard and I married -"Morning Has Broken".)  I loved it when the grandson welcomed all the First Ladies who attended the service and especially the two of them with "their lovely husbands"! (This was referring to Bill Clinton and President Biden who were also there.)  I noticed that Bill Clinton didn't hear that remark at first and had to ask Hillary to repeat it but then he chuckled wholeheartedly! 

  When I was thinking of a title for this post, I couldn't help but think that Rosalynn was a woman from a small town in South Georgia but that she truly did have a heart for the whole world. I am also thinking of another "Georgia Girl" with a heart for the world who also died this month of November- Jimi Bowen Forward.  You may read her obituary just here.   

I worked for Jimi for almost twenty years at Bowen's Travel, the travel agency owned by Jimi. (At a time when not too many companies were women-owned).   I have so many memories! Back in the 1980's, you could just jump on a plane and Jimi certainly did that.  She liked to take groups to New York City from Atlanta, just for one day! We would leave on the first flight of the day and then come back on the very last flight returning. She would do this on the first week of December and we would be able to see the Christmas lights and do a bit of shopping. Very exciting for Conyers folks! She met up with me when I was in London and we had tea at the Ritz. (She insisted on paying, you know she did, that was Jimi.) When our son was almost 4 years old, she made sure that we were able to go on a Disney cruise! (Wish you could have seen Christopher's face when he first saw Mickey Mouse round the corner! He ran into his arms!)  Jimi was once married to a man from Wales, so that is something that we had in common, both married to Brits! Jimi remarried and the gentleman was one of those who always asked for Jimi to book his trips.  Sadly, he died a few years ago and I think it is recognized how much that can affect the health of the remaining spouse.

I am in awe of those who can write so well and give such a great tribute to someone who has died.  I find it very difficult. Jimi's daughter, Allie might read this blog and if she does, I hope she knows that I am sincere in comparing her to Rosalynn Carter.  I think it is fitting.

Both of them such strong, kind, beautiful, intelligent women! May they both rest in peace. They make me proud to be from Georgia.

------------------------------------------------


Statue from The Monastery here in Rockdale County with 
Fothergilla bush -In the spring, it has lovely white flowers but, in the autumn, lovely colorful leaves.




 

Not sure if this will stay on my blog for long, but I have the part of the service where her grandson spoke....





22 comments:

  1. This was so beautifully written and a wonderful tribute to both women. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. I have great respect for them both. So difficult to write about someone who has been such a big part of my life.

      Delete
  2. May they both rest in peace, and I hope we take up their mantle and have a heart for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world lost a great woman. She was gracious, humble, giving, and capable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish there were more couples like the Carters.

      Delete
  4. Jimi was born the day after my Mum (Aug. 12, 1944), but their lives couldn't have been more different! Still, they have in common that they were/are wonderful women, strong and beautiful, with big hearts.

    I didn't even know that Mrs Carter had died. Our news are all about Gaza, Ukraine, cost of living and other such gloomy topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but think how much your Mum would have loved meeting Jimi! (And Rosalynn Carter too, for that matter.) It said in Jimi's obituary that she "never met a stranger". That was very true.
      I wasn't sure how much the news of Mrs. Carter's death would be on the news. Of course, it was big news here in Georgia.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. You know Jimi loved Canada too!

      Delete
  6. That was a very good tribute! May they both rest in peace!
    Love,
    ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Ma. Take care and stay warm. x

      Delete
  7. Your Blog title captured the spirit of Roselynn Carter perfectly and many women. The Carters were global citizens but our own too, born and raised of the Georgia soil with an eye to the future, hands not afraid of hard work with servants' hearts - and she was a perfect First Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment! You have perfectly expressed what I have tried to say here. Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. That is a lovely tribute. Heartfelt and true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob! Thanks very much! I wish you could have met Jimi. She truly never met a stranger. I forgot to mention one of her trips was to New Guinea in the early 1980's. Her photos from there surrounded by the natives were amazing. Like Rosalynn, a heart for the world.

      Delete
  9. I was sad when I heard Mrs. Carter had died. She was a woman who truly made her mark in the world. I was surprised she passed before Pres. Carter. I wonder how long he will last with losing her. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and former employer. She also sounded like a remarkable person. It's so sad to lose such great women but then how wonderful it would be to be honored and remember for having left a legacy of kindness, humbleness, and giving. We should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughtful comment, Yaya. I wasn't surprised when Jimmy Carter insisted on being at his wife's service despite his poor health. They were a truly special couple. All for service to others.

      Delete
  10. A lovely post, Kay....and a wonderful woman who stood firmly beside her man....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I Absolutely! Not behind her man but BESIDE her man!

      Delete