Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Break It To Me Gently)

 December 5, 2023- Brenda Lee is at the top of the Billboard Top 100 with "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"! It is 65 years since it was first released.  Just last month, Brenda did her first music video ever, lip syncing the song with her friends Tanya Tucker and another Georgia Girl, Trish Yearwood. (Yes, Trish Yearwood is from just down the road from me, Monticello, Georgia!)   I saw the clip on TV where Brenda Lee was given the news that her song was at number one!  Of course, that reminds me of a song....

Recently, when our son visited us at Thanksgiving, I asked him if he knew a certain song. The answer was in the negative, so I was happy to share it with him.  After hearing it, he looked at me and said, "That was perfect".  Now, instead of good news, think of being given bad news. You would want it broken gently, wouldn't you?


The lyrics to "Break It To Me Gently" were written by a woman, Diane Lambert. (Of course, they were!) I think that Brenda Lee is not only a great singer but a great actress as well to portray the kind of heartache in this song. She married at the age of 18 and is still married to the same man.

 "Little Miss Dynamite" indeed!


Just in case you haven't seen the music video that she did of "Rockin", here it is!  (It was the first one she had ever done.) Brenda Lee has also spoken recently about the SONGWRITER of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", Johnny Marks! Brenda is a woman after my heart reminding us of songwriters!) Johnny Marks deserves a post of his own, stay tuned!




Happy December, everyone!



20 comments:

  1. She certainly had a wonderful voice and I loved the song! Hope you have a wonderful December too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked Brenda Lee's vocal style too. Love that video! How many people at 78 get the chance to lip-sync a song they recorded at 13 years old and have it be a big hit again! I'm thrilled for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am thrilled for her too! What a voice!

      Delete
  3. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" puts me in a Christmas mood. She's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video is fun! I must admit I don't really the wig Brenda Lee is wearing, but she's good sport, and my favourite bit is where everyone has a brief moment of dancing in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda Lee is only 4 foot 9 inches tall, I think the wig makes her 4'11" so I would wear that wig too! Also, as women age, I think it must really be easier to wear wigs, especially in show business. Ask Dolly Parton! :-) Yes, I love it when they all dance! JOY!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, don't you just love Dolly Parton!
      My Mum's hair has changed quite a lot with age, too. She'll be 80 next year but so far has not resorted to wearing a wig - but then of course she is not in show business (although she could be!).

      Delete
    3. Yes, I do love Dolly Parton! I love her not just for her songwriting skills but also for her wisdom and her philanthropy. Your Mom has gorgeous hair! Not everyone is so lucky!! x

      Delete
  5. Brenda Lee is a tremendous person, and this video was just what I needed to see tonight, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda Lee was a great performer. She left to raise her family. This is a must-listen-to Christmas song. No Sweet Nothins' about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I see what you did there! Clever girl! :-)

      Delete
  7. Loved this! I always love listening to this song and it wouldn't be Christmas without it! Merry Christmas and Happy December to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't it great? It is at top of the charts for 2nd week in a row! Merry Christmas and Happy December to you too, my dear!!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful voice and still living at 79!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda Lee is a great woman, although so tiny! Hugs to you! xx

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours, Kay. Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gigi, the same to you and David. Please let him know I am thinking of him! Hugs from Georgia. xx

      Delete