Sunday, March 3, 2013

Richard Street, The Temptations


Did you hear that Richard Street from the Temptations just passed away?  This happened just after the death 10 days earlier of another one of his bandmates, Damon Harris.  My son and I were discussing movies that we had seen and one that we both enjoyed was the TV movie, "The Temptations" which was based on a book written by one of the band's members, Otis Williams. What a wonderful story behind this group! What an incredibly bunch of talented men! My son got me the DVD of the movie "The Temptations" as a present this past Christmas.  If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend it.  Of course, it tells you the whole story of Motown with Berry Gordy and Smoky Robinson and all of the Motown names that I hope that you all know  and love. 
The video that I found for you is from a concert in Stockholm and it is not the best quality but just listen to the sound of Richard Street's voice! My stars, what an incredible singing voice that he had, those high notes just blow me away!  I love that song "My Girl"...just those opening notes, you can tell that you are in for a treat, don't you?  I know that often folks don't bother to click on the Youtube videos, but I promise you that if you listen to this one, you will enjoy it!  And remember, if you can, make sure you watch that movie, I think it was really a mini-series on TV and the DVD said that it won an Emmy.  Good, it deserved one.
 Rest in peace- Richard Street, Damon Harris, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin, David Ruffin, Melvin Franklin and Eddie Kendricks.  The joy of your music will last forever.
 
We just had a cold weekend in Georgia, the coldest this winter.  Saturday was cloudy and cold but today (Sunday) was sunny.  
 
"I've got sunshine on a cloudy day,
when it's cold outside, I've got the month of May".
 
Hope you all have a wonderful week ahead.  Take care.
 

 

16 comments:

  1. It's a great way to start Monday morning, listening to this!
    And after the weekend I've just had, I really "'ve got sunshine" - after four dull weeks (weather-wise), we finally saw the sun again on Saturday and Sunday! Everybody was out, enjoying the light, and it made one feel just so much more active and "alive"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying the light, I like the sound of that!
      Glad you liked the song too, Meike! :-)

      Delete
  2. No, I hadn't heard. I guess I just knew them as the Temptations and not individually. This is sad and he will be missed. They provided us with such beautiful music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. I hardly ever knew the names of most of the bands from the 60's and 70's myself, but I just watched that DVD at Christmas about the Temptations so all their names are fresh in my mind. All of them were very talented.

      Delete
  3. Lovely song; I like the Temptations music very much.
    Our weather is similar to yours at the moment. It is so good seeing the sun again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Here Comes The Sun", written by George Harrison, an Englishman, of course!!
      Lovely to see you comment here, Tracey, so happy to hear from you! :-)

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a wonderful Monday! The sun is shinning here but it's only 15 degrees. Hopefully this week we are to warm up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 degrees. YIKES! I hope you have some long johns!

      Delete
  5. I saw the article on him passing too. Always have enjoyed the Motown sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and we had so much on the radio in the 60's and 70's, didn't we? I think we were the lucky ones.
      Oh, that's what old people say, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
  6. Most of the time, i have to pass on the video when i read your blog, because video overheats Ol' Bessy, my aging, ailing laptop. Instead, when the kids are at school later i go look up the video (i write down the name the old fashioned way, pencil and paper, what a dinosaur i am!) and go look it up on the better computer that they use for school work.

    Yes, i am a fan of Motown. Those songs were brilliant, and continue to sound fresh and fun, the mark of great music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh and fun, the mark of great music...yes, that is it exactly! Notice how good music doesn't age, it is always good, forever!

      Yes, I remember that you have computer issues and I have the same ones myself! Sometimes, my Youtube videos will play, but not always. Hope you are able to hear this one! xx

      Delete
  7. You are right- the joy of their music will long outlive them. It is sad to think that the musicians of my youth are passing away- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I just heard today that a member of the Miracles,Bobby Rogers just passed away! Poor Smokey Robinson, that must be a lot of funerals for him to attend, a lot of his friends all at the same time...

      Delete
  8. The Motown sound has always been my favorite. Weather here today was in the 80's , but is supposed to turn cooler tomorrow. Crazy weather. Thanks for sharing the video.
    I love your photos of Stone Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie!
      You are right about our crazy weather this year. We never know what to expect.
      Glad you like the talent from Motown, I loved that movie that I mentioned here. If you see it is coming on TV, don't miss it!
      Stone Mountain and Arabia Mountain are outstandingly beautiful and my husband takes some good photos, thank you!!

      Delete