Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Tis The Season (For Music!)

 Just in case you missed my last post, I told you that our friends had treated us to "A Christmas Cabaret" here in our small town which was put on by The New Depot Players.  Lots of songs!  One of them was sung by a petite young woman but like Brenda Lee, she really belted it out! (She sang and then, went around the little theater imploring the gentlemen to "please come home". After all, they are actors!)   This song is being played a lot and by many singers but listen...the one we heard right here in Conyers, GA was wonderful! Can you guess which song it is? If I say I "love" it, can you guess?  "Baby, Please Come Home for Christmas"! (Big hit for the wonderful Darlene Love!)  



Another song that I keep singing/humming (and I really might be driving even myself nuts with it) is a song by someone from....England!  Oh yes, it has been covered by many artists now but the original was a great vocal and I am happy to say that he is also the songwriter! Sadly, George Michael is no longer with us but this song will remain, "Last Christmas".   In the show that we saw, the young women singers combined their voices to sing this song and it was most effective. 






As much as I love Christmas songs, I also love the anticipation of Christmas, the quiet season of Advent.  The two CD's that I listen to leading up to Christmas are the ones that I have shown you above! The music from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "The Nutcracker Suite" by the London Philharmonic Orchestra are my favorites! (It is interesting to read about Charles Schulz and how he had to not only work on letting the network agree to this music from a jazz artist but also to allow him to quote from the King James Bible.)









 

Let's see, I have given you four videos here! Now, go wrap some presents as you listen to these tunes!  Take care, everyone! And remember music is for all! Tis the season! 




26 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a fine collection! I especially like Last Christmas. It reminds me of the girl I was dating just before I met my wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John! So nice to see your comment here! I am happy you like these songs too! Happy Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. Two classic pop songs! And I love Vince Guaraldi and Tchaikovsky too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very festive my presents are wrapped the parties are over and Christmas is on the way. I will truly feel sad to see this one go.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is on the way! I just wish we celebrated it longer. It is so sad to see folks take down the tree, sometimes on Christmas day itself!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for these wonderful videos. I just came by to wish you a Very Merry Christmas :) Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am wishing the very same to you and yours! Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  5. All Christmas classics that most of us know and love. Over here, people have a love-hate relationship with Wham's Last Christmas, meaning they either hate it or love it. My late husband loved it, my sister hates it - I seem to be one of the few people who don't care much either way :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish George Michael was still around so he could know how many singers do covers of that song that he wrote when he was still a teenager! It is such a catchy tune! You know how songwriting fascinates me. You have no idea how long I listen t videos before I put them on here. It must have the best sound possible! There was some great videos of Darlene Love but the sound quality wasn't great. (No reflection on Darlene Love, it was just the recording.) Imagine me hearing all these songs live and you will know why I had to have them here! LOL!! Take care and keep up with your long walks and think of me! x

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas Kay! I love your songs here and the Charlie Brown video is a classic fun trip back in time. I should say I love all the songs but I'm just not into "Last Christmas". It's not my favorite and my hubby really doesn't like it at all. But that's OK. He loves all other Christmas songs! My favorite CD I play each year is John Denver and the Muppets! Ha! Love it. Anyway, have a wonderful holiday season with your family and I hope it's a blessed New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of John Denver AND the Muppets! No love for "Last Christmas"? Oh gee, I had no idea! I wonder if you might have liked the live version that we heard at our concert with all the women's voices blended together. I think so!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! x

      Delete
  7. My shopping has been done and I'm ready for everyone to open gifts, I have so much Christmas music saved and so many movies to watch. I'll be busy until next year. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy the festive music this time of year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlie Brown and Tchkov er, Tchaic er,...music excellent. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, surely you can spell "Nutcracker"! Merry Christmas to you, you filthy animal! LOL!! Please tell me you have seen "Home Alone".

      Delete
  10. Hi Kay, tomorrow as I wrap the presents, I will play all your Christmas music. What a treat! I do love the Nutcracker Suite, at Christmas or any time. Wishing you and your family all the Blessings of Christmas and a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the Nutcracker Suite all year round, also! Honestly, I do, it is my favorite alongside a CD of Waltzes! As much as I love to sing along to a CD, my heart soars at all those lovely tunes.
      Bless you, my friend! I will be thinking of you in Australia with your season exactly opposite from here but the love is always the same! Merry Christmas and happy new year!!

      Delete
  11. Have a wonderful Christmas and a peaceful 2024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wishing you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in your lovely Yorkshire. Cheers!

      Delete
  12. It's Christmas Eve, and the last of the presents are wrapped!
    Stopping by to wish you and yours a Happy Christmas.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy new year, Kay. Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you and your dear David! Take care, both of you! xx

      Delete