Friday, December 11, 2020

Gustav Holst and Christina Rosetti- "In The Bleak Midwinter" (Their Finest)

 


Do you notice the background music during films? You know that I do! Recently, Richard and I watched a movie called "Their Finest".  It was set during World War II and was about the writing of propaganda films meant to influence America to enter the war. Rachel Portman is the genius behind much of the music in this film and many others!  She has written over 100 scores for films and television, winning an Oscar for the film "Emma" in 1996. 

Not to take anything away from Rachel Portman but in this movie, I was most thrilled to hear the beautiful beginning notes of the song "In The Bleak Midwinter". (And it was played on a trumpet and it was lovely.  If you know anyone who plays the trumpet, ask them to play this for you.) I knew that the song was first a poem by Christina Rosetti and was set to music by Gustav Holst. He also was asked to write music for "I Vow To Thee My Country".   At the time that this was presented to Gustav Holst, apparently he was quite busy so he was grateful that one of his songs that he had written for "The Planets" could be changed.

("Jupiter- the Bringer of Jollity")


Would you like to hear both songs?  I find this kind of thing very interesting...  Okay, here is "In The Bleak Midwinter".




"I Vow To Thee My Country" which was adapted from "Jupiter- the Bringer of Jollity".





Gustav Holst (1874-1934) and Christina Rosetti (1830-1894) are both fascinating to me. If you don't know their life stories, they are well worth looking up, I promise you!  How I would love to do a film about each of them! Gustav Holst was a fan of English folk songs, praising them by saying they had "no sham, no got-up glitter, no vulgarity".  This is a man after my heart! 

Christina Rosetti wrote this: "I know my aims in writing to be pure and directed to that which is true and right".   And she also said that her writing method was "a distinct aim at conciseness." I love that!

Both of them seemed to be very similar in temperament, rather shy and withdrawn and not very at ease with other people but they both had very close friends who brought out the best in them..."their finest".  

Friends really do help us get by in life, don't you all agree? 

Thanks to all who took the time to listen to C.'s songs in my last post. Music is very important in our household and Christopher seems very serious in using his God-given talents.  So, I thank you for your encouragement!




 

 

                                    "Water like a stone"

26 comments:

  1. I did not know about Holst's admiration for English folk songs, I used to play the guitar and sing many of them. I know a bit more about Christina Rosetti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find both of them fascinating, really I do...if only I had more time to get my thoughts together these days, I might have been able to write more about them!

      Delete
  2. I knew the music for In The Bleak Midwinter but didn't know the lyrics or that they're a poem by Christina Rosetti, an excellent poet.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of songs and hymns started out as poems and music was added later. Stick with me Janie Junebug and you will hear about most of them! LOL! Take care!

      Delete
    2. I have every intention of sticking with you, my dear.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful music, written and performed by beautiful people, Kay! You know that I know someone who plays the trumpet... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Your header photo is heart-tuggingly beautiful.
      Now I have used the word "beautiful" three times in my comments... no, four!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I was hoping you would see that about having someone play that on the trumpet! Richard plays it on guitar and so I know it is a beautiful melody on any instrument! That photo was taken by Richard in Eastbourne in the winter. x

      Delete
  4. At first, I misread your post and thought that the music for "In the Bleak Midwinter" was derived from Holst's "Jupiter" -- d'oh! I couldn't see how the two tunes could possibly be related, LOL! We watched "Their Finest" last year and enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get things so mixed up these days, my brain scrambling facts and figures at work and then, I come home and try to write a post! I thought that film was very well done. Did you know it was written by a woman besides having the musical score by a woman? I research films as if I am being paid to do so! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the words of that song. Hear we are in bleakness and winter hasn't happened yet. Dark and dreary days that we must brighten anyway we can. I'm already thinking about Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Fauci predicted a bleak winter. Soon as I heard that, I started humming this song! There really is a song for everything!

      Delete
  6. Those were lovely moving songs - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked them too! Happy to share music!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful! I loved them both and I loved seeing the flash mob bring people to a halt and be taken away in the moment with the music. I would find that so soothing on a busy day in a shopping center! Again, thanks for the wonderful, peaceful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that flash mob wonderful? Oh, how I wish I could experience something like that, just once!!
      I like music like this during Advent, soft peaceful...waiting for Christmas kind of music!

      Delete
  8. Music is very important in my household too (even though now I'm the only one in it). Holst produced quite a lot of music in his lifetime but little of it is very well known apart from The Planets. I have Various other pieces including his Cotswold Symphony. I rarely play it so you have at least spurred me on to do that - probably this afternoon when I'm ironing (I can concentrate on music when I'm ironing).

    The Rossetti family was exceptionally talented. Dante Gabriel Rossetti was one of the Pre-raphaelite Brotherhood with William Holman Hunt and John Everett Millais. I fell in love with their art at an exhibition in 1969 and I've never fallen out of love. The Rossettis were all multi disciplined though. Most people know Christina Rossetti for her poem 'Remember'. It was one of the first I learned. An artist friend who lived next door wrote it in my autograph book when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comment, Graham. I should have taken more time to write this post and written more about each of them. I meant to say that we are all influenced by not only our parents and siblings but also our friends. Christina was the youngest in her family and I do wonder what it must be like to have been born into such a brilliant family.

      Delete
  9. Always enjoy learning more about music origins. Bleak Midwinter is a favorite of mine. Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello there! Thanks very much, the happiest of times to you too!
      Glad you liked this very quick post that I did, I drive myself crazy looking up background for songs! :-)

      Delete
  10. I have to admit I never noticed the music at all in that film but was engrossed in the film itself which is one of the better UK films of recent times. I do normally notice music in films and have even bought the soundtracks to around 20 or so I liked but we have very different tastes, like most people. It's one art that can be split into infinity is peoples musical tastes and the range of genres in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that a great film? Did you notice it was written by a woman, besides having the musical score by a woman? And also, the writer played one of the characters in the "carrot" film at the beginning! Yes, I do go crazy looking things up!! We might have different tastes in music, but I like you anyway, Bob! LOL! Take care!!

      Delete
  11. In The Bleak Midwinter is one of my favourite carols but I prefer Harold Darke's tune to Holst's. Is that sacrilege? I have fond memories of singing it at a carol service with a friend, she sang the soprano and I the alto parts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will have to look up that tune now! Thanks for telling me! They use a different tune to "Away In A Manger" in England than the tune that is used in America. I like both tunes!
      Lucky you, to sing at a carol service! I bet it was beautiful.
      Thanks for you comment! Take care! x

      Delete
  12. I loved the music of that flash mob. It made me tear up. I guess it's because I just talked to my friend's husband. She'll soon be in hospice care and is so very brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you liked that video that I found and that it moved it you so. Prayers for your friend, Kay. x

      Delete