Saturday, April 18, 2020

You'll Never Walk Alone - Capt. Tom Moore



Inspiring and hopeful! That's the news for me!  The song, "You'll Never Walk Alone" is at the very top of the charts in Britain this week of April, 2020.

Captain Tom Moore in Yorkshire, England is a World War II veteran. He wanted to raise money for the NHS.   His plan was to raise 1000 pounds by walking 100 laps in his garden before his 100th birthday. Capt. Moore started this walk on April 13th.  Happily, he has far exceeded that amount! The fundraiser has exceeded 23 million pounds! How could that amount be raised in such a short time?  It is from the downloads of the wonderful song, "You'll Never Walk Alone".   Recorded with Michael Ball and a background of NHS singers (the NHS Voices for Care Choir)  the single just edged out the duet of "We'll Meet Again" by Dame Vera Lynn and Katherine Jenkins on the charts. (It is a close second, I believe!)

Capt. Tom Moore will turn 100 on April 30th.  What will be the final total of money raised from this record by that date? I will have to let you know!  


What photo with this post? An English garden, of course! (From my inlaws from Eastbourne.) I know I should show you this lovely garden without our washing on the line but I was so darn proud of hanging our shirts up on the line...and see the pole that pushes the line up higher to catch the wind? Clever Brits!


Also, thinking of Oscar Hammerstein, who wrote the words to the song, "You'll Never Walk Alone".  (Music by Richard Rodgers, from their musical "Carousel".)  The above plaque is from Southwark Cathedral in London. I can't help but think of these two men and their song- a perfect blend of music and words being such a great representation of hope.

14 comments:

  1. Every time I see Captain Tom on the news it brings lump to my throat. What an inspirational man and what a wonderful legacy he will leave behind. Love the garden and the 'washing pole'. I use mine every time I hang laundry on the line. It's worth its weight in gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe that Captain Tom Moore! I kept reading about him on the BBC, and like so many, found his story extremely inspirational! And as for hanging out laundry, I only do this when I am in England and have to be instructed on how to do it, every single time! LOL!! Still, I get there in the end and that pole making the clothes higher, that just impresses me no end. x

      Delete
  2. My husband's favorite song is You'll Never Walk Alone. We both love Carousel, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! Then, I bet DAVID adores this story, am I right? :-) I'm sure you both do! xx

      Delete
  3. Captain Tom Moore has been all over Canadian newscasts since he started his epic walk around the garden! People just LOVE him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I had been reading about him on the BBC and seeing how much folks were cheering him on and donating money. It's just a great story, I love it.

      Delete
  4. Also the club anthem sung by Liverpool and Celtic fans at matches. Even if you are not a supporter of those teams it's a song that really works well with 60 thousands fans singing it as it rises and falls to great effect. Makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up with the noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they even have those words over the gates into the stadium in Liverpool, don't they? "You'll Never Walk Alone"? How great would it be to hear all those voices in unison. Spine tingling, I am sure!

      Delete
  5. I have just told O.K. about Cpt. Tom, he'd not heard of him but that's not surprising as he reads news and social media only in German. I've known of this astonishing man first through my friends in England and then some articles on UK news sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This has been all over the news in England, but I doubt any of my friends here in the USA knew anything about it. Of course, I am being very selective about my news these days anyway, much of it has been just too distressing for me to take. I need good news!

      Delete
  6. Isn't Captain Tom an amazing story? One of the special happy outcomes of our present strange way of living. I love You'll Never Walk Alone too, always beautiful to hear it. We hang our washing on the line all the time here in Queensland - I remember we had a house guest once from San Francisco and he seemed a little surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend from San Fran would be just like me from Georgia! I didn't have a clue how to hang out the clothes on a line. We had a clothes line when I was a kid, but that was in the 1960's and I did housework as a kid but I couldn't reach the clothes line!
      I love Captain Tom's story, even if most people knew it, I just had to have a post about him.

      Delete
  7. Captain Tom is such a wonderful man to have thought of this mission and then to have fulfilled it so astonishingly well. He shares a birthday with my oldest daughter which makes it even more special to me.

    ReplyDelete