Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Hands of Man (SOS)- Flowers Blooming








Chris de Burgh did a wonderful thing on his Facebook page. He said that in these troubling times he wanted to keep spirits up by posting and singing a different song every day this week, recorded on his iphone.  Isn't that great! He asked for people to send in requests and within an hour, he was on there sitting at a keyboard with his song "The Hands of Man".  If you do Facebook, you should find it. It is an amazing song, I think you will agree and I believe that it is most fitting that he chose this one to share.




Richard and I both liked this video of Chris de Burgh performing a cover of "SOS" by Abba. (It made me dance all around the room, you know it did.)  I was curious as to where this video was filmed. After some research, I found that it was made in Liverpool, England!  Yes, Liverpool...the birthplace of the BEATLES!! 



Okay, now...after a bit more research , I found a great video about the making of the "Hands of Man" album.  It is just over nine minutes long but I MUST share it here with you!  You all know how fascinated I am by songwriting and this is just...well, wonderful!


Oh! I do hope you loved that as much as I did!  I have never been to Liverpool, you know I want to see it!  (Remember my post about the Rodgers and Hammerstein song,  "You'll Never Walk Alone" and it is inscribed on the gate for the Liverpool football club? You will see it on this video!)

These are troubling times.  On Feb. 2nd, I wrote this on my blog..."We need to try and outdo each other in giving hope and encouragement."  Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson are in Australia and have the virus and are in quarantine.  Their posts on Facebook and Instagram are positive and most encouraging! Rita is a singer and she asked for folks to name the playlist of the songs that she would post. "Quarantunes" is the result!  And Tom Hanks had this to say..." Remember despite all the current events, there is no crying in baseball".  (Referencing his great role from "A League of Their Own".)  And this was just from today..."Thanks to all the Helpers. Let's take care of ourselves and each other."  (Once again, from his wonderful portrayal of the inspirational Mr. Rogers.)


   Tiny wildflowers blooming just now.  "Bluets", they are called.







23 comments:

  1. A true talent, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John! You're welcome! So nice to see your comment here. Hope you stay well.

      Delete
  2. A very encouraging post, Kay, and I love the music! Love those bluets, which are Houstonia,I think. We had them when we lived in Breckville in the late '70s. Now I don't see them, but the tiny wild Veronica in the grass have a similar delicate appearance. Love the idea of Quarantunes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houstonia, I think that is right but that common name, Bluets is so sweet! Glad you like the music too!

      Delete
  3. For some reason I've not listened to Chris De Burgh for quite some time.
    Rectifying that!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure and listen to Chris de Burgh sing "Africa". When I told my son to read this post, he said that he really enjoyed that video also!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the encouragement, we need to keep lifting each other up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take heart...Mr. and Mrs. Hanks are being well cared for here Down Under. For the present, Forrest won't be running anywhere...but I'm sure he's allowed a box or two of chocolates! :)

    I've not heard Chris de Burgh's music for some time...so thanks for the head's up, Kay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked hearing the music of Chris de Burgh also!
      And you know that Tom Hanks and his wife are grateful for the good people of Australia! Why, it even showed Tom Hanks enjoying a huge amount of Vegemite on his toast!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for introducing me to this talented singer. I don’t think I’ve heard of him but he’s wonderful. Tom and Rita were lucky to be in Australia where they could be diagnosed quickly and quarantined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, back in the 90s...."Lady in Red" was his big No. 1 hit. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, you are right, Kay...Tom and his wife were tested for FREE in Australia!! And yes, Lee, the sad thing, most folks only know "Lady In Red" by Chris de Burgh and nothing else!

      Delete
  7. The bluets are so sweet!
    I am sure I have mentioned this before; my sister and I incidentally met Chris de Burgh and his family aboard a river cruise ship in the south of France 10 years ago, we were taking a day trip with my Aunt and Uncle for my Aunt's 70th birthday (they live there). Mr. de Burgh and his family joined us on the upper deck; everybody else prefered to stay inside as it was a hot summer's day. They politely asked us whether they could sit on the same bench, and of course we said yes. A most pleasant conversation followed, and it turned out he knew our hometown as he had been playing concerts there a few times. I was never a fan of his music back in the 80s, but ever since that encounter and knowing what a pleasant man he is, I think differently when I happen to hear one of his songs.
    What impressed my sister and I was also how much love and kindness the family had for each other; it wasn't in any way artificial (there were no cameras or journalists!). His wife and daughter are beautiful ladies but not at all haughty.
    Mr. de Burgh said something very kind and very personal to me when we said good-bye at the end of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I most certainly do remember your story of meeting Chris de Burgh!! I wanted to tell folks on my post but was hoping that you would mention it, so I am so tickled that you wrote of meeting him on this comment! You see, he is not only an extremely talented songwriter, singer and musician but he is also a really nice guy!! As you know, that means more to me than anything else! And YOU met him! Lucky!!

      Delete
  8. Troubling times ahead... so true. The wildflowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chin up and keep singing! And looking at flowers!

      Delete
  9. We need all the positive thoughts we can get. Encoueratment and inspiration are appreciated. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's try to get through this! Positive vibes coming your way!

      Delete
  10. I just had time to come back and listen to that last interview. Wow! I love this. It gives me some sense of who Chris de Burgh is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi! Thank you so much for taking the time to look at the video! Did you read the comment from Meike above? See, you can tell from that video what kind of man he is, not only super gifted with his music but someone who I believe has a beautiful soul. You should look him up on Wikipedia, you will be astounded to see how disrespected he is. My son says that the world just cannot appreciate someone who is that talented in different areas...songwriting, singing and playing musical instruments. I suppose he is right.
      Once again, happy you took the time to listen.

      Delete
  11. I think music is going to play a very big role in a lot of our lives over the next few months. Music and flowers particularly for those of us hoping that our gardens will be the relaxation and exercise we need. Hopefully the weather will oblige us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham! I hope you get the chance to see that video of the making of Hands of Man! It has some great scenes from Liverpool!!

      Delete