Sunday, March 1, 2020

John Kay ( Steppenwolf "Born To Be Wild") and Maue Kay Foundation



Hey! You will never guess what I learned today! John Kay was the lead singer behind the band "Steppenwolf" from the late 1960's and early 1970's. Their hits are well known.  "Born To Be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride are the ones I remember. It was interesting for me to find out that John Kay was born in 1944 in East Prussia (his name at birth was Joachim Fritz Krauledat).  His father died before he was born and he and mother were trapped behind the Iron Curtain. His earliest memory is that of fleeing to West Germany with his mother when he was only four years old.  Then, he fell in love with American music, listening to the radio. (Even though he could not speak English!)  John Kay emigrated to Canada with his Mother and Step-Dad in the 1958. Five years later, they moved to Buffalo, New York. John Kay first became involved with a group called The Sparrows, which after moving to California changed the band's name to Steppenwolf.   Also, nice to find out that he met and married a young woman also from Germany and they have been married since 1968.

There is more to the story!  John Kay and his wife, Jutta Maue founded the Maue-Kay Foundation which supports human rights and wildlife and the environment! I just spent a good deal of time on his website. You may find it just here!  John Kay has a video on there, "A Word from John Kay". Please listen to it!  And if you are like me, read all about the foundation. Sounds like they do really great work.  

I was so pleased to find this out today! What caused me to do this? I heard "Magic Carpet Ride" on a Goodyear TV commercial. And can I just say...it was so nice to hear that music!




  


We have had some beautiful sunrises lately...in between some very rainy days. Hello, March...so nice to see you.
 How are you all doing my friends? Spending time researching whatever strikes your fancy, like me? No? Why not? Insert smiley face here!

22 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. What a great guy! I remember both those songs but to learn his background, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! I thought it was interesting. I would like to meet John Kay and his wife too. I am sure he would also like to meet two MORE Kays, like me and you!! xx

      Delete
  2. I wonder whether Jutta calls her husband Joachim, or Achim, as most Joachims I know call themselves :-)
    You mention that he fell in love with American music even though he did not speak English. Well, I'd dare say 90 % of those who listen mainly to songs in the English language here in Germany haven't got a clue of the lyrics! After WWII, the popular culture of my country became totally focused on all things American (in the 1950s) and then, in the 1960s, the Beatles came along; if you were young, you would not want to be caught listening to German music, which was considered outdated and stuffy. To an extent, this is still true today, although you can now hear many (modern) German songs on the radio as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read more about Jutta, his wife and she is from Hamburg! She saw the BEATLES perform there in the early 1960's. Lucky!!
      Most of the music on the radio now is in English but I can't say that I know any of the lyrics, I can't understand them! :-)
      But then, I am old!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating stuff, none of which I knew before. I had a girlfriend once whose personal theme song for her life was "Born to be Wild."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if she knew of the background of John Kay? She would if she read my blog!

      Delete
  4. You always have some new and interesting facts to share. It is fun learning new things. He lived an amazing life. Little do we know what some people go through. It's so nice to have the longer days of March with more daylight. I'v enticed waking up to light out side instead of darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love to learn something and share it on my blog. I find the world endlessly fascinating! Hope you are looking forward to Spring! x

      Delete
  5. That's great to know about his philanthropic work. Happy March to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see the word "philanthropy", am I the only one who is reminded of "The Wizard of Oz"? Remember, when the Wizard tries to say "philanthropist" and keeps stumbling and finally says "do-gooder"? As a kid, I remember thinking, I will know what that word he is trying to say one day!! Happy March to you!

      Delete
  6. How very interesting! I did not know that about John Kay...or his wife. Thanks for the head's up, Kay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! He and his wife just sound like my kind of people!!

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of John Kay, but I do know Born to be Wild. What an interesting story, and good for them, supporting human rights. We are busy getting ready for the imminent arrival of our daughter from Canada - Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is wonderful, that you will have your daughter with you from Canada! Hope you all have a smashing time. xx

      Delete
  8. That is a very beautiful picture of the sky. Just love it. Never heard of John Kay until now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful sky, lovely photograph.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! One of my husband's, he is so good.

      Delete
  10. Another very interesting post...Of course, I remember the music of Steppenwolf, but knew nothing of this foundation. I have contributed to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust for quite a time now and you might enjoy their many videos on YouTube about orphan elephant rescues. Beautiful photograph, Kay. I am so excited for March and the beginning of Daylight Savings Time this Sunday! I love it being light so much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I am happy to share this on my blog. I was pleasantly surprised when I found this out. "Light so much longer", that sounds lovely. xx

      Delete
  11. How interesting. I had no idea of his background but remember the music well. Beautiful photo at the end...great sky shot! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell Richard you said so! And don't know if you will see this, but I had something about Wisconsin on a recent post!!

      Delete