Saturday, March 28, 2020

It's About Time (Here Comes A Story!) Don't Miss The Wedding At The End!

When I called my father-in-law in England this past week, I wasn't able to reach him. Later, I remembered it was because the time in England was only four hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time rather than FIVE hours. (They will change their clocks this weekend in Britain, so the 5 hour difference will be correct after that...until it is time to change again in the Autumn.)

Time...on my last post, I showed you a photo of the clock at St. Pancras Station in London.  Look, I will show it to you again...


If you are thinking that there is a story behind this clock, you are correct and you know I am going to tell it...

The Definition of Time Acts of 1880. It is the act which standardized Greenwich Mean Time for Great Britain.  The railways were the reason behind this.  First adopted by the Great Western Railway in 1840 with other railways following suit. In the early days, it was called "Railway time". Up to that point, time was based on the 24 hour rotation of the earth which meant that East Anglia was about 5 minutes ahead of London and Bristol would be 12 minutes behind!  Okay, I am talking about Britain here but if you are American like me you may be thinking...."I wonder if that is how our time zones in the USA began? Correct!
We have Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones...they were introduced on Nov. 18, 1883 and this was also due to the US railroads! (In 1884, an International Prime Meridian Conference was held in Washington D.C. and Greenwich, England was selected as zero degrees longitude and established the 24 time zones based on the prime meridian.)

Back to the train stations in England with their giant clocks-  St. Pancras Station in London had a doozy...it was said to be the largest at any railway station in England. With a clock dial made of slate,  it was 16 feet and 9 inches in diameter with the hour hand at 4 feet, 5 inches and the minute hand at 7 feet, 3 inches.  The clock was there for nearly 100 years until it was decided that the train station needed modernization and it was decided to sell the clock. Supposedly the clock was to be sold to a wealthy American but that never happened. Upon removal, the clock was dropped and was broken into pieces!  Now, enter our hero of the story, a Midland train guard named Roland Hoggard. He offered to take the pieces of the clock away and he did so. It took him a week, transporting the broken bits on the Midland line to his farm in Nottinghamshire. Here is his quote at the time, "I couldn't bear the thought of it being broken up". Roland Hoggard rebuilt the clock on the end of his barn using as much as the original as possible but recreating pieces that were beyond repair. In the early 2000's,  St. Pancras station was transformed into St. Pancras International Station, taking passengers to Europe. British Railway was able to use Roland's clock as a template for the new clock, with metal plate, slate diamond shaped hour markers and roman numerals.( If you notice it says "Dent" on the clock, the Dent Company also made the clock at the Royal Observatory Greenwich as well as Big Ben!)

If you look at the website for St. Pancras International Station, you will see this: "Our clock continues to keep time and ensure our passengers catch their train."  
What they didn't say but I will say for them, "Thank you, Roland Hoggard!".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wedding at St. Pancras Station!  If you click on that, that is just a very sweet story...a couple getting married at the station in March of 2020. They knew their April wedding would be cancelled due to Covid-19. Instead of a kiss, they give each other elbow bumps with just the few witnesses laughing in the background.  Then, at the end, you see the couple looking up at the clock and the words, "I want my time with you."  I hope you are able to read that and see the photos!
Joy!


20 comments:

  1. What great stories and information you have for us. I wonder how many Americans think it's St. Pancreas. It drives me crazy when people says prostrate instead of prostate, and I've heard plenty of nurses do it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mind goes to the familiar or easy. You have made me think of Wimbledon now (and very often folks will say WimbleTON). I am thinking that Wimbledon won't happen. They will most likely show it from past years, that is what they are doing with other sports. Take care in Florida. x

      Delete
  2. Another fascinating bit of British trivia! And yes, Roland Hoggard deserves major kudos for his historical preservation effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking up the history of things, I find everything connected and fascinating. Take care of yourself and your rare one in Canada. x

      Delete
  3. Gosh! I’ve never heard of Pancras Station. We always learn such fun things from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we are ever able to travel again and you get to London, it is St Pancras International Station where you will catch the train that will take you to the Channel Tunnel and then, over to France! My son took this a few years ago, so he did it for me.
      Stay safe in Hawaii, dear Kay. My love to Art and your lovely Mom. x

      Delete
    2. I’m sending you and your family ALL my aloha as well, Kay. We will get over this.

      Delete
  4. You know how much I love these posts of yours, where I can learn interesting facts!
    A wedding at the station? Impossible here in Germany, as only specific townhall offices and a select few other venues have the license to marry a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping one day that you will thank me for one of my interesting facts and that you win one of your contests because of it! One day when we might be able to gather again, that is...
      That is what it used to be like in England, only could be married at churches and registry offices. That changed a few years back (can't remember what year) and now, they have beautiful wedding venues at castles, hotels, gardens and stately homes! Can't imagine how many weddings had to be cancelled.

      Delete
  5. A lovely post. I very much appreciate Roland Hoggard who did not want something of historical importance to just fade into nothingness! And that wedding is so touching. I've read some sharp words about the architecture of the old St. Pancras Station but I think I would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SIZE of St. Pancras station is so amazing! Now, I do wonder what you would think of the statue of the kissing couple, I am not sure that I like it, it is so very large and they are turned away and...can't put my finger on it, it is somehow unsettling. Other than that, I love it! There is a statue of John Betjeman there which I really like...he is very instrumental in saving St. Pancras. (He was a huge advocate of Victorian architecture and I am so glad that he was! It meant that a lot of buildings were saved that were otherwise would have been demolished!) You should see the hotel next to this station, it will stop you in your tracks.

      Delete
  6. To create a clock like that on his barn, that's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great story and even though that St Pancras station didn't say that at the end, they DID tell this story on their website. I read it there along with other articles from British newspapers!

      Delete
  7. Very good. St Pancras Is a very interesting station and the clock noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could be there now and that people were walking around the way they did when I was there in October of last year.

      Delete
  8. Love your post, Kay.

    Bindi Irwin...daughter of the late Steve Irwin...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin

    Bindi and her beau married under similar circumstances at Australia Zoo a couple of days before the ban came down. A private celebration with only a couple of immediate family members present.

    Take good care, Kay...I wish you and your loved ones well...stay safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee! Guess what, "Lee", my lemon tree has grown a lot and has lots of flowers! Fingers crossed for lemons!!

      I saw that Bindi had married at that zoo in Australia! She won "Dancing With The Stars" several years ago and I loved her so much in that! "Never has there been a star more joyous to watch"...I just read that about her and I cannot agree more! I wish her much happiness in her marriage.
      Take care of yourself, Lee. Much love to you in Australia. x

      Delete
  9. The giant clock in the famous film Close encounters is on the station just 5 miles from me! What a sweet wedding story too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I can't remember a giant clock from that film (I do know a lot of films but I am old lady now so can't remember everything, I guess! ha ha) Glad you like the wedding story too, I thought it was really sweet. In need of sweetness these days. Stay safe. x

      Delete
  10. What a fun story, Kay - thank you for that bit of cheer! That's a very handsome clock too.

    When I was visiting England with my nephew we always called it St. Pancreas station. 😀

    ReplyDelete