Friday, March 20, 2020

Dame Vera Lynn, 103 Today! (With A Positive Message.)



"There'll be blue birds over the White Cliffs of Dover".

All along the southeast coast of England, you will find these chalky white cliffs. (The above photo is from 2009 from Eastbourne.  Look at this photo where I managed to miss the gorgeous red and white lighthouse...yes, this is one of my pictures, not Richard's!)

Today is the 103rd birthday of Dame Vera Lynn! She was called the Forces Sweetheart in Britain during World War II. (I mentioned her on my post about the lady in white in South Africa, another woman who sang to the troops.)  I was so very pleased to read on the BBC that Dame Vera Lynn made a video encouraging the Brits during these difficult times that we must find moments of joy and reminding us that music is good for the soul. You all know that I agree with that! You may read more just here!

If you listen to this video of "We'll Meet Again", you will hear her voice at the very end saying "Keep Smiling and Keep Singing."  She made this just this week, during her birthday week!  (And she sounds so very much like Joan, my mother-in-law, who passed away two years ago. I know she would have loved this too.) Dame Vera also posted a second video specifically addressing the concerns of the day with a frank but positive message. 

Now, I have to tell you that I mailed Dame Vera Lynn a birthday card!  The one that I sent had bluebirds on it and I signed it, "Sincerely Yours", which was the name of her wartime radio program from London. I am sure she got lots of cards but I truly hope she got the one I sent her!  Okay, I found the video...enjoy!


Anybody else celebrating a birthday? Happy birthday to my friend , Meike in Germany!  And also to my Uncle John on Sunday, 22 March. He will be 95! My friend in Germany and my Daddy's brother share a birthday. My Dad would have loved knowing that!  God bless them. God bless us all!

30 comments:

  1. That's a marvelous video! If anyone knew how to get through tough times, it was "the greatest generation." We need to learn from them and just do our duty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hardy Generation is what Mr. Zamperini preferred to say...I wish I could be as hardy as that generation!

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is a better and more accurate term! I'm going to start using that from now on.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this Kay. I am a real Vera Lynn fan and loved hearing her voice at the end. Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, dear Kay! Yes, your Dad would have loved that; didn't he know? You may have mentioned it to him at some stage; you two did talk lots, didn't you. William Shatner's birthday is also on the 22nd :-)
    To reach 103 years is amazing! There is no merit in being young (even though sometimes young people seem to think so), but ageing with grace and dignity is something I lift my glass to! (At the moment, it contains tap water... no alcohol for me when I am on my own, there's still plenty of time for something bubbly tomorrow and on Sunday, when O.K. will be with me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, of course, I am sure I DID tell him. I can just hear him say, "Is that right"? in that amused and endearing way that he could speak! (My memory was never as good as his was, I was often asking him for dates and names of people!) I do miss him so much.
      I will be tickled to remind my Uncle John that he is not the oldest person that I have heard of, and that this wonderful lady did this great video with her marvelous message at the age of 103! Aging with grace and dignity, that sounds like Dame Vera Lynn alright!
      Happy birthday on the 22nd! And say hello to your first mate...Captain Spock...no no, I mean OK!! :-) Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I meant MISTER Spock!! See what I mean about NAMES???!! SAme thing with titles too!!!!

      Delete
  4. Dear Kay, thanks so much for posting about Dame Vera Lynn and providing the video of her singing. I was 5 years old when the United States entered the war t hat Britain had been fighting for three years. During the war years, I remember hearing her sing about the white cliffs of dover and about meeting again. Her songs were broadcast in the United States. Her voice and smile and temperament and encouragement was so important to the British RAF and the soldiers at Dunkirk and later. She is a national treasure for Britain. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that she is a national treasure for Britain. I am grateful that the Brits have the good sense to know good when they see it! Stay safe.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Kay. Needed a beautiful song to make me smile today. My uncle had his 100th birthday this month but we'll have to celebrate later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too! Bless your uncle on his 100th birthday. xx

      Delete
  6. I shared your post with my DEStevenson group and I think several will be coming over to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet she was really touched that so many people sent her cards, including yours.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she got cards and letter from all over the world. One of them was from the state of Georgia, USA!!

      Delete
  8. Dorothy, the mother of a friend of mine here will be turning 103 this coming June. She is in an aged care facility nearby...and still keeps us all amused with her good spirits.

    Vera Lynn...and all our elderly folk are inspirational...and worthy of our care and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a study in Time magazine once about those who had lived to a great age. All of them had two things in common: there wasn't a fat one in the bunch and there wasn't a grouchy one! (Uh oh for ME!!)
      We need to have more respect for the elderly. Period.

      Delete
  9. Such a nice post to offset such strange times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. These are strange times indeed.

      Delete
  10. Smiling always makes us feel better. I think it's wonderful that anywne can be so positive in these hard days especially at 103. Happy Birthday to all those dear people you mentioned. It's always great to celebrate another year of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANother year of life...I will drink to that!

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful woman! Thanks for sharing this, it brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHe is a wonderful woman. I was proud to shine a light upon her. I wish more knew her name here in the States!

      Delete
  12. That truly is a beautiful song, I hope you don't mind my dropping in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are welcome to drop in anytime.

      Delete
  13. It was sweet of you to send Dame Vera Lynn a birthday card. My husband and daughter celebrated their March birthdays too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday to the March babies! God bless them. xx

      Delete
  14. Such an uplifting post. We need to step up and be the next great generation -- i hope we can.

    ReplyDelete