Thursday, April 18, 2019

Mountain Laurel: Pollen Dispersal by Catapult (Lyman Briggs)



Catapult?  Lyman Briggs?  Keep reading...


On Monday, I took the day off and went to Stone Mountain with my husband.  I know I have shown you photos of us clambering over the rocks to get to the top but did you know that there are miles of trails around the mountain? It was a  nice day so we walked under the newly green trees. One of the trails is beside a stream and the mountain laurel was blooming!

(A shout out to Ranger Robby ...last year in May, he gave me a tour on Mother's Day and we enjoyed the mountain laurel in bloom at Arabia Mountain.  Since you call yourself a science geek, I hope you like this post, Robby!)




Now, the flowers were really just beginning to flower but when they are fully opened, the filaments of the stamens will be bent towards the edges (think of the way the metal bits are like on the underside of an umbrella).  When an insect lands on the flower, it breaks the tension of those bits and the pollen then catapults the pollen on the insect!  The pollen can be flung up to 6 inches! 

The amazing thing... a man named Lyman Briggs first observed this in the 1950's after he had retired from an almost unbelievable accomplished career. You might recognize his name, he has a college named after him! You may read more about him here.  Lyman James Briggs,  I wish I could write a book about him! The Manhattan Project? Yes! He was involved in that too! Promise me you will read his story, he simply did too much for me to write in this post.  And his wife and daughter, you might know their names too from the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (the MBTI) that many companies ask you to take.  (His wife was Katherine Cook Briggs and his daughter was Isabel Briggs Myers.) 


Reading a bit further, the reasoning behind the pollen dispersal was not what Mr. Briggs thought that it was, but by studying this flower and noticing the pollen, he brought attention to it.  I just saw a video by researchers at Harvard that shows the science behind it all.
I find it interesting...but honestly, you all know that I only see the beauty of the blooms on this mountain laurel!

And not to throw you a curve ball...but can you believe it, Lyman Briggs also proved the science of the curve ball in baseball!
I am not kidding! 

Let me leave you with this quote about him..."He was remembered for his range of interests...was almost universally liked and had a reputation of even headedness and serenity."  My kind of guy!  Why, I bet he also admired the beauty of the mountain laurel too, just as I am certain he enjoyed American baseball.  Just like me!  





35 comments:

  1. I loved this post, Kay - it is so very "you", showing part of the wide range of things you are fascinated with and interested in. Yes, Mr Briggs and you would have gotten along like a house on fire, I have no doubt!
    So glad you and Richard were able to have the day off and go hiking together. This time of year is especially wonderful, isn't it, with its new tender green and blossoms everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Thank you for the lovely card I found in my mail this week! It now sits proudly on the sideboard next to a bouquet of daffodils.

      Delete
    2. Oh boy, wish I could be around someone as intelligent at Mr. Briggs...is there anyone like that around anymore?
      So glad you liked the little card, those sunflowers...I know you love them too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kay - delightful to read about Lyman Briggs and to see the gorgeous Mountain Laurel - stunning blossom. I didn't know about Briggs - now I do ... have a peaceful Easter - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a scientist, but I do love flowers of all kinds. That mountain laurel is just beautiful!

    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for any math or science teacher I ever had!
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful blossoms! Sounds like the whole family was well educated and accomplished. I'm a big fan of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like I remember taking that test, I was a little bit of everything...sounds about right, I thought, I have never been one to fit into boxes!

      Delete
  5. Fascinating. I will be looking up this family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His is a fascinating story, I promise you will want to write a book about him too!

      Delete
  6. Nature is wondrously marvellous and Man should be rightfully humble...

    I hope you have a relaxed and happy Easter weekend, Kay spent with your loved ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mountain laurel are quite beautiful. What an interesting post, thanks for sharing about Mr. Briggs! It's always a treat to get out and enjoy nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God made or man made? God made is better every time!
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  8. Such nice photographs and fascinating read.
    Happy Easter Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Thanks for the heads up! I will be on the look out for mountain laurel as I hike around. It is one of my favorites. I had no idea all that about the pollen. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain Laurel is beautiful, be sure to look out for that pollen though, it is flying all over the place!
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  10. I have never seen the mountain laurel in bloom nor Stone Mountain. but I think I would enjoy seeing both with you. We would have such a lovely hike. I'm an INFJ according to Myers-Briggs (and off the charts on I and F). Terry is an ISTP. That explained a lot about our marriage ~ LOL! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told Debra above, it seems I remember being all over the place on those charts! Just like me!
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
    2. Happy Easter, Kay, to you and Richard and Chris!

      Delete
    3. Blessings to you, dear Louise.

      Delete
  11. How fascinating nature is, and how wonderful that some people are blessed with the gifts of observation and analyzation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the observation part down...if only I could analyze it, I could either save mankind or make a fortune or BOTH!
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  12. How beautiful these mountain laurel are, and how extremely interesting. My whole family is interested in Myers-Briggs test. We all begin IN though the degree of difference varies. We all end in P. Three are F and one is T. I used to be T but years ago began testing F. INFP.(This was beginning to sound like one of those matrix problems!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you find people fascinating? I do! I know you do too!
      Happy EAster!

      Delete
  13. Very interesting bio of a smart man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you looked up the info on him, just simply blooming fascinating!

      Delete
  14. Well I'd heard of Stone Mountain and Ranger Bobby but nothing else in your post. So every day is a school day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Graham, I thank you for being such a good student! :-)
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful post. I have never seen a Mountain Laurel it has the most beautiful flowers. Plus you mentioned Catapult a favorite of mine.
    What an amazing man and family. I would love to know more about him.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say catapult, I mean it in the sense like a slingshot. Not sure what that word might mean in modern terms,I am old! Look him up, you will see why I would like to write a book about him. Thanks for your comment!😊

      Delete
  16. Just checking in, Kay! I hope that all is well with you and Richard! Sending you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Louise! Today was a such a lovely day...one of those rare days in Georgia, warm but with a cool breeze and big fluffy white clouds on a blue sky. Wishing you lovely days like that too! xx

      Delete