Tuesday, April 2, 2019

London- Green Bridge/Red Bridge




Don't you just love to read the blogs of these brilliant writers who tell you all kinds of interesting things? Me? I suppose it is my job to look at colors and inform you of my findings. (My last post was about the clock hands being painted blue instead of black.)
So for this post, I will tell you about two of the bridges in London:   Westminster Bridge and  Lambeth Bridge.

Below, you will see a photo that Richard took in 2014 when we visited London.  The bridge pictured is Westminster bridge and it is painted green.  Why green?  It is the color of the leather benches in the House of Commons!  (You might have noticed the leather benches when you have seen them arguing debating on the TV news. You must have seen all the news about Brexit!)   This bridge is at the northern end of the Houses of Parliament and is the closest to the House of Commons.

Lambeth Bridge is predominately red and RED is the color of the leather benches in the House of Lords!  It is at the southern end and of course, is closest to the House of Lords.


(Sorry, I don't have a photo of Lambeth Bridge but you can easily look it up.  And hey, guess what? Remember from the film "National Lampoon's European Vacation" when Clark Griswald got stuck on that roundabout and couldn't get off?  That was the Lambeth roundabout which is just after when you cross this bridge, just don't ask me which side...hey, I can't know everything! Ha! I am guessing the south side.)

Another thing that I just learned today...and it is amazing to think about...there will be a swimming pool that will be installed BETWEEN two very tall buildings, that is, it will be installed IN THE SKY. It will be called a Sky Pool and it will be near the U.S. Embassy in London. (Uh, the U.S. Embassy will cost $1 billion...the most expensive embassy in history. Gulp.) 

Anyway, can you picture that pool in the sky?  
(Hopefully, the pool will be safe...apparently, they have one in Houston, Texas which was built in 2017.)


Leaving you with a hymn "Praise My Soul, The King of Heaven" from the Choir of Westminster Abbey.







Thank you, Bob! For telling me about the Sky Pool!  Not only do I not like heights, I am not overly fond of swimming either.  Let alone having those two put together! Not that I could afford to go even near the place.

30 comments:

  1. Interesting! In Canada, too, the colour scheme of our House of Commons is green and of our Senate (our upper chamber) is red. I guess it's a tradition in any country within the British parliamentary tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious if it is the same in Australia!
      Maybe someone from there will tell us!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting and I did learn something new. You always have something to share that increases my knowledge! I love learning new things. Like you I'd not be interested in a pool in the sky. Heights and I don't get along well at all.

    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am always tickled to learn something new but I am always afraid that people will tell me , "Oh Kay, everyone knows that!"

      Delete
  3. The sky pool, well, I don't know what I think of that. Sounds like an expensive white elephant to me, it will probably be only open to the rich... and the rest of us will have to look at it. Which is a real grouchy comment I know, so let's hope that it is open to ordinary folk and then I will happily eat my words! :) I will keep an eye open for it. :) I enjoyed the hymn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to let us know from your blog what that Sky Pool will look like and what people think about it.
      Glad you liked the hymn, I love the words and the music both.

      Delete
  4. i always love learning new things and the colors of these bridges is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am pleased that you think so too!

      Delete
  5. A sky pool? And I thought infinity pools were new!
    By the way, your job as a blogger is not only to tell us about colours. You also tell us about flowers, butterflies, birds, mountains, music, films and books and the real life stories behind them, and so much more, such as your English Connection and of course your wonderful Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just tickled me that I realized that I had just done a post about blue clock hands and then...I tell you about a red bridge and a green bridge! I do enjoy writing on my blog very much but I have been so tired lately that I have had little energy to put my thoughts together. I am missing my Dad very much, the Braves started their new season this week and it is strange not to "watch" the games with him.

      Delete
  6. Pool in the sky? Me swim there? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, i wouldn't be swimming there, either. That is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to tell you...if you look at the photos of the Millennium Bridge, the sides of it are very transparent...so I try to walk right in the middle of it! Water and heights, both scare me!

      Delete
  8. Did not know that about the bridge colours. All I can say about Westminster/the House of Commons is that they are managing to make Donald Trump look like a sensible, honest, reliable man at the helm guiding the USA to greater glory. Our lot at the moment are in complete meltdown :) Latest London skyscraper is The Tulip, to be built next to the Gerkin, one of the worst proposed skyscrapers I've seen. The Gerkin was unusual and classy in design... see what you think of the Tulip photos online... London has gone mad for crazy tall buildings that look like things you would have in a kitchen. Can of Ham, Cheesegrater etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I am so happy to tell a Brit this info! Being from the USA, I can't criticize any other government, our Congress can't agree on anything either.
      The Tulip...I looked it up and and I can't say I like the look of it either. I know people love these buildings for the views but you know something? The London Eye is high enough for me.

      Delete
  9. Well, I'll be! Yesterday I sang that very hymn with my choir, at a special Women's Service at St John's Cathedral here in Brisbane. First time I have sung in choir stalls like that, and as I said to another singer, it felt like being in Westminster Abbey :)
    As for the sky pool - not for me, I don't want to swim in the Heavens just yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny? And then you come home and read my post with that very song being sung in Westminster Abbey! :-)

      Delete
  10. Interesting tidbits about London. A pool in the sky would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, you and David can swim in that pool and I will wave at you from the street below!

      Delete
  11. I hope you got to do the "Lambeth Walk", Kay! :)

    Your posts are always colourful and interesting, my dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee! Guess what?! My lemon tree "Lee" has blossoms! I don't know if it will produce fruit but the blossoms smell heavenly.

      I was going to put a song on here about the Lambeth Walk but...this lovely hymn is one that I really love. Did you know that it was...oh never mind, I will just have to do a post about it!
      And thank you, Lee...my blog thanks you too! :-)

      Delete
  12. Red and Green Bridges, very cool to know it's meaning. Once a person knows that, would imagine it's helpful in knowing where you are. The idea of the pool gives me the willies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! Very cool...I don't think that anyone has ever written that to me in comment before!
      It gives YOU the willies? Me too!

      Delete
  13. All those years there and I never noticed the paint colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, I am happy to tell you about it.☺

      Delete
  14. Beautiful share. I am new following you here. I was deleted some very naughty comment sat my blog and came across a kind comment from you. Had to stop by and say hello. Thank you for sharing all the photos. HUGS to you this beautiful day. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Anne! I am just today seeing your comment. Thank you! A kind comment, thank you for very much for saying that! Hugs to you! xx

      Delete
  15. You wouldn't get me in a sky pool, Kay. I have enough trouble with an infinity pool close to the ground. I love London and its bridges. I'd go back tomorrow. Nobody can see hymns like the English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also would go back tomorrow, even today! I love your photos when you travel. Wouldn't it be great if we could meet up one day? If I ever get back to Colorado, I will let you know! :-)

      Delete