Thursday, March 22, 2018

And More Music News...Music For Posterity!



Thank you, BBC! If not for you I would not know that some of my favorite songs will now be preserved in the US National Recording Registry!  They are being preserved because they have been deemed "records of great cultural significance." (They must be at least ten years old and must be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important.")  At last! Someone appreciates my tastes in music!  Now, I will have a link to all of those that will be added this year but I wanted to tell you about some of them...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If I Didn't Care" by The Ink Spots (1939)

I hope you know The Ink Spots and Bill Kenny from my blog! If not, let me know, I will do about 12 more posts to make sure that you all know their music!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soundtrack from "The Sound of Music"  (1965)
Rogers and Hammerstein.    

What wonderful music and lyrics!  You do know I know every song by heart, right?  Doesn't everyone?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"My Girl"   The Temptations  (1964) 

 "My Girl" was written by the great Smokey Robinson.  He said that when he performs this song in concert, no matter what country that he is in, the crowds will sing along. They know every word.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folk Songs of The Hills  -  Merle Travis  (1946)

You might know the other songs that I have mentioned here but you might not know this record.  One of the songs on this album was a big hit for "Tennesee" Ernie Ford,  "Sixteen Tons".   (I have read that "Sixteen Tons" was a big hit for Frankie Laine in the UK.)





Okay then, do you know all these records?  You may read more of those that were selected by reading about them here.

Hope you are all doing well, my friends.
As for me, I am "another day older and deeper in debt!"



Oh! And let's not forget the other big music news this week!
Ringo Starr was knighted!  He is Sir Richard Starkey! (You do all know that is his name, right?)  Peace!


23 comments:

  1. I do know the songs, with My Girl being my most favorite. I used to sing it to Margaret when she was little, and even now! And I am delighted about Mr Starkey. He seems like the sweetest natured man. I love Ringo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan for your sweet comment! I love that you sung "My Girl" to your little girl and now! RINGO! I love him, not just because he was one of the Beatles but because he IS the sweetest natured of men! (He always, always says "Peace" and that is why I ended my post with that word!)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, yeah, yeah! (You know I had to say it.)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Mr. Starkey! After all, there is no one on earth right now so cool as Ringo Starr.

    Yes, another day older and deeper in debt — one of my paychecks bounced this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What! I hope you were able to get THAT straightened out! Gee, you can't trust a paycheck these days...

      Delete
  4. It would appear we are in a musical frame of mind, Kay....so often we are, I know.

    Ringo's knighthood was a long time coming...he must have felt left out seeing Paul got his gong 25 years ago!! Rise Sir Ringo! (And yes...I did know his real name...but it's not as much fun as "Ringo Starr") :)

    I love your choice of songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, I am always about the music!
      Funny thing, I saw the announcers on TV and they were saying, "And he accepted his honor under the name of RICHARD STARKEY." Later, they added that was his real name. How hard would have been for them to look it up and know before someone had to tell them? I am always talking back to the TV!!

      Delete
    2. Hahahahaha! You and me both, Kay!!! Just as well my TV can't hear! Just as well I don't have any neighbours nearby!! :)

      Delete
  5. "Sixteen Tons" is a song I can't stop myself singing along to, no matter who is singing!
    When I do the ironing, I usually put on BBC Radio York on the internet. This week, I happened to be listening just as the news about Ringo being knigthed came up. He was interviewed on the radio and it was fun listening to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, to hear Ringo being interviewed!
      I hope I made you sing "Sixteen Tons' this week!

      Delete
  6. I think music is a big part of all our lives and should be honored. Much of it reflects the times it was written in and is a big part of our history. Did not know about Sir Richard Starkey, but who could forget Ringo Starr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if they didn't know, the TV announcers could have found out his legal name, rather than make it as if he was accepting this under some strange name! HA!
      I am afraid that I know a great deal about all of the Beatles, have read a fair number of books and articles about them, I have always loved them!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. If you go to the BBC, you will see the photo of him being knighted by Prince William, and both of them are all smiles.

      Delete
  8. You know that of course I know all of them. I was also happy to read that these songs are being preserved. I wish they could simply save every piece of music ever recorded. Until then "Saint Peter don't you call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, me and you both! Even if not, I think every song I have ever heard is carefully recorded in my brain. Bad thing, it it leaves hardly any room for anything else! LOL!

      Delete
  9. Yes, heard the songs and about Ringo. No idea why it took so long with him but typical in an entertainment industry where folk doing a similar job can have a huge difference in wages, that doesn't always equate with popularity but apparently some internal secret code. The knighthood awards will also always be a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate that you have the knighthood awards. We have the Kennedy Center Honors, but hey, it doesn't come with a TITLE, does it? No matter how long it took, I am glad it came to Sir Ringo! :-)

      Delete
  10. I did know all the albums except for the Merle Travis...I certainly know Sixteen Tons, though. When my husband arrived in the US *with all his family) as an eleven year old he began listening to the radio and learned quite a number of songs before he could really understand them. And he sang some of them for the rest of his life! Sixteen Tons was one of those. And he sang, "You are My Sunshine," to me, to my great joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much for leaving me this comment! Learning songs before he actually understood them, that somehow just warms my heart. I LOVE the song "You Are My Sunshine"! And to know that your husband sang this to you, that is such a wonderful thing to share. Thank you.

      Delete
  11. Hi Kay - I know a couple of the songs, but not the others ... and good for Ringo - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Hilary! Hope you are doing well these days!

      Delete