Monday, August 21, 2017

August 21...My Blog Anniversary - "A World Of Peace"- All Souls

"May the shadow of the moon fall upon a world of peace".


Besides being the day of the eclipse today, it is also the anniversary of my blog!  Six years ago today, I began my blog.  Have I ever told any of you that I am working on a post and then, you have never seen the post that I have told you about? Looking at my stats, I have published 940 posts but I have 67 drafts.  So, I have written 1007 posts...that somehow seems like a lucky number to me.  I will have to work on those 67 and get them finished...

I have told you before that my most visited post is about the Monastery which is only a few miles from my home.  It now has almost 75,000 views.  It is a place of great peacefulness and serenity and that will be the place that my husband and I have chosen to visit today and view the eclipse. You may see the post that I wrote years ago just here.  There is much hoopla about the eclipse on television.  In 1979, the last time that there was a total eclipse in the USA, the TV announcer told the country that the next one would be in 38 years and he ended the broadcast with those words that I gave you at the beginning of this post... "May the shadow of the moon fall upon a world of peace".   If only it could be so.

I would like to thank all of you who read and comment on this blog. I appreciate you all more than you could ever know.  A special thanks goes out to Meike in Germany, who will always have a special place in my heart for convincing me to start my blog! Here are a few of my followers: The Liverpool lads and their special friend on the Isle of Lewis, Nan from Maine, Mimi-my cat-loving friend in Louisiana, Sue-Mrs. M.-Crochets AND bikes, not at the same time!, Debra and Martha from Canada, Lee and Red Cardinal from Australia, Louise from Colorado, Diana from Green Bay, Emma, MA-always looking on the Bright Side!, Susie, YaYa, and Kristi from Ohio, Mike (A Bit About Britain) and Mark from England, Jenny Woolf and Blue Sky Scotland and now, I have a new follower from...wait for it...Eastbourne! Thanks, Hilary! How nice it is to see photos of such a beloved spot! Not forgetting Mac & Janet, Lynn and also Silke, who are right here in Georgia! Dennis Evans...a preacher who publishes his sermons is also a follower of mine.  Hard to believe that these gifted people take the time to read my words.  How wonderful it is to come to know these friends from my blog.  Wish I could meet every one of you!  (I only jotted down a few of my friends here...but I honestly appreciate every single person who has ever read my blog and took the time to comment. THANK YOU.)  I am also thinking of those who no longer blog...I miss them.

Now, a thank you to my blog:  If not for you, I would never have known what a wonderful photographer I have in my husband.  There are some photos that I have taken for my blog...but for the most part, they are Richard's, so it has been a source of pleasure for him (and for me!) to share his talent with the camera here with you.
Someone contacted us from England when they saw the photos that he had taken of their church and they asked if they could use them on their website! You know he said yes! It is a wonderful church and one that we like to visit when we are in Eastbourne....it is All Souls Church and you may find their website just here. "Loving the Lord Jesus and Making Him Known."  (Click on "Our Building" to see the photos.)



Hoping that the clouds will stay away for all those who wish to view the eclipse!







                   "Light and life and peace."







37 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts and congratulations on your blog achievement. I hope you have a nice eclipse event. Lovely photos too. Warm greetings to you and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. Lovely to see your comment here. You have a great blog!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kay - thanks for the mention ... All Souls has tremendous history and is beautiful inside. Glad your hubby is helping with the photos. Here's to many more anniversaries ... and enjoy that eclipse - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that you would know All Souls! So happy that you are do. I appreciate your well wishes for my little blog, and the eclipse was great, very nice to just look at the sky without any kind of agenda. (We took the day off!)

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't it indeed be wonderful if the words the presenter ended with had come to pass. Sadly they have not - and, sadly, probably never will, come to pass. I can see two faces in the first cloud picture. Now I can't recall what the name for that is. It's nice to know that I'm still a 'lad' by the way! Keep on blogging Kay - you bring warmth and light into Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words from 1979...the thought of an announcer being so poetic makes me feel a little nostalgic for the way our TV news used to be. Alas, peace is hard won these days but if each one of us...Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!
      Oh yes, that is why Richard took the cloud photos because he saw a face (there is a really better one but I put this one on here by mistake) and I did a post about seeing faces in things once...the word is pareidolia, spelling might be wrong!
      Warmth and light, you are sweet!

      Delete
  4. Happy Blogaversity. I always enjoy reading your posts. It's easy to see we both share a love of England.
    Enjoy the eclipse, they're predicting rain for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it did look like you got rain! Never mind, you are near the beach, I would rather have that any day! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Happy Blogaversary, Kay!What a gift you have given to all of us with all the beautiful and interesting things you have shared. Thank you so much! And thanks to Meike for encouraging you to this creative work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful and interesting things, you are too kind!
      Thank YOU for your blog and for your kind comments on mine!
      Meike teases me that she "pestered" me to to do this blog, but it was really a strong encouragement, just as you say!

      Delete
  6. Congratulation on your blog anniversary. You really do cover some interesting topics and I love to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MA! You are too kind! Your blog is amazing, I never read one of your posts that I am not intrigued or inspired or both!

      Delete
  7. Kay, many congratulations on your blog anniversary, and to Richard too, for his wonderful photography. I visited both links you posted here - that's a lovely monastery close to your home and I hope the eclipse today will be fantastic for you there in Georgia. And what a beautiful church in Eastbourne. I saw their credit to Richard for the photos too. Thank you both for the years of good reading and viewing on your blog! And may there be many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! You are so kind! I am so glad that you visited the links that I gave you here! The Monastery is truly an amazing, incredible place! The monks built it all themselves, the building, the stained glass, and all the plantings of trees and shrubs...it is beautiful.
      The church in Eastbourne is most unusual, not like any other I have seen in England but most beautiful.
      Thanks again for your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Kay!! As glad as you are for having started your blog, maybe I am even more glad that my gentle nudging (read "bullying") you into blogging was successful - and keeps bringing you and your readers such pleasure, new ideas, information and entertainment, not to speak of friendships that have formed thanks to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meike! See my comment to Kristi above! It was not bullying but a most persistent persuasion and I thank you for it! And I do love all my blogging buddies! :-)

      Delete
  9. Happy Blog Anniversary, and i hope the next eclipse does see us closer to peace than we are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi. Peace is within our grasp, as long as we have hands to clasp. (Sorry, that might be Dr. Seuss, but it came to mind, and I like it.)

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary. You have so many friends all over. It is because you infuse your blog with your spirit. I hope you enjoyed the eclipse as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a teacher who told me that I had "spunk"! Your comment reminded me of that! (Not sure if he meant that in a good way! LOL)
      I very much enjoyed the eclipse...let's go to Texas in 2024! :-)

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday to your beautiful blog my friend!
    how sweet of your hubby to bring you such outstanding snaps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it is nice to have a personal photographer at my beck and call!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on 6 years! That's dedication. Thank you also for visiting and commenting on my blog. Here's to many more years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 years and almost 1000 posts...dedication or insanity, I am not sure!
      Thanks for writing your blog! I now know that the US flag once had 16 stars! I hug little facts like that to myself with the utmost happiness!

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you're still blogging, Kay. I always enjoy visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I have been so busy at work that when I write my posts in the evenings, they might not have made much sense lately. Don't know what my excuse would be for my earlier ones! LOL.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on reaching such a milestone. It's always good to reflect on where you started, where you are now, and how you got there. It is a shame that the shadow of the moon didn't fall on a world in peace. Maybe by the next eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. Yes, maybe next time, we can say the shadow of moon fell upon a world of peace. Let me be so.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on your Blog Birthday! I think that is a wonderful quotation about the moon's shadow. It's a bit ironic at this very moment, but does remind us that time swings on and our present day concerns will surely fade away. I don't know if I have ever seen a total eclipse, there was a pretty dark one in England a few years ago - it just became like twilight, although it seemed rather eerie. How nice that you've now got a follower from Eastbourne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! And I am remembering that YOU were one of my first followers, I am grateful.
      I am so pleased to see your comment here and happy that you are blogging again.
      I will never forget you telling me that Lewis Carroll loved the walk up to Beachy Head...that is something that I will treasure for always. x

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on six years of blogging, Kay! It's always a joy to read your posts and hear about your passions! I hope you continue blogging a long time. You've been on my mind a lot, because the Stone Mountain carving keeps coming up on newscasts on my tv. I don't think that the statue carved into the mountain should be destroyed. Perhaps an additional plaque or exhibit could be added to put the carving into historical perspective. Perhaps you've discussed this in a recent blog and I haven't hit it yet because I am working backwards. I feel a special connection to Stone Mountain because of all the posts you have done on it, and because it was the first cross-section that I made of a surface feature in my first lab in Geology 100. I have thoroughly enjoyed Richard's photos over the years, so thank him for me!!! Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had your writing skills, Louise! You know of my love for Stone Mountain. I remember you telling me that it was the subject of your first lab! As you know, Stone Mountain has been there for MILLIONS of years...not really caring about us humans, whatever we do.
      I am very pleased that you like Richard's photos, I will tell him you said so! Hugs right back to you! xx

      Delete
  17. Your blogiversary took place on an auspicious day. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Did you know that Aug. 21st is always on the same day of the week as Dec. 25th? Now, you know! Christmas day will be on a Monday this year.

      Delete
  18. Happy blogoversary! So sorry to be late to the party. It's lovely that you feature your husband's photos - a nice thing for a couple to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Sometimes I feel a bit guilty using his photos and when he sees me choosing a photo, he will encourage me to use the very best one that he has taken of a subject. He is nice that way! :-)

      Delete