Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Our Lady of the Holy Spirit Monastery-Conyers, Ga.

Notice the Wise Men are not here...this photo was taken before Epiphany!
After Epiphany, here are the Wise Men, notice they are carefully positioned in adoration.


This is the balcony of the church. Concrete walls, stained glass, wooden benches-all made by the monks..

I wonder if any of the movie stars filming in Rockdale County right now have any idea how close they are to a Trappist Monastery? You may find the monastery website here.  When the Monastery was being built in the 1940's, this area really was out in the middle of nowhere.  I love the story of the monks sending a sample of the soil to the monastery up in Kentucky (where they came from) and asking them what could the soil be good for...the one word answer that came back to them...bricks!


One of the monks writes for our local paper, and when Amy Winehouse died, he wrote an article at how surprised he was by the cruelty of the writing on the Internet after her death.  I found it for you and you may read it here.

The following prayer is attributed to St. Francis and has always been a favorite of mine, and I hope of yours too.






Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

I wish more would join the Monastery.  John from his blog, Reflections, just did a post recently wishing that more would join a monastery.  It is a funny post but also very accurate.  You may see his post here.   
Thanks to all who have become my new followers.  The winter is always a bit of a challenge for me. Hopefully, I will have more time to read all your lovely blogs and leave my words of wisdom with you.  Take care, Spring will come soon!  "Now The Green Blade Riseth" is one of my favorite songs...



19 comments:

  1. How clever -- they don't often remember to time the Wise Men's visit! Thanks for sharing the article about Ms Winehouse -- I was astonished too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always found St. Francis to be endlessly fascinating. One of my favourite memories of Italy is visiting Assisi and seeing the Giotto frescoes of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and fascinating place. Just gorgeous, Kay- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the blue light in the monastery nave. John certainly makes the monastic life sound attractive but I would miss partnmer and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blue pictures. No Christian ought to be in a monastery however, they need to be out in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quiet, contemplative life seems to hold so much promise. In our "go, go, go" world, few see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it is is beautiful! We saw a beautiful Abbey on our cross country trip
    http://www.assumptionabbey.com
    We drove by on the highway, saw it in the distance and drove back to see what it was. We have gorgeous photos of it. Such a different world!
    As for St.Francis, my husband, his dad, and my son have Francis as a middle name, so I am very fond of St. Francis. I have been looking for a nice St. Francis statue for our garden.

    Thanks for always writing about things that are so close to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So incredibly beautiful - I can imagine sitting in that upper balcony for long periods of time, just drinking in the peaceful atmosphere & meditating on life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful church! Great details. And I like the light from the glas window very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of the Monastery! There is something soothing and majestic about churches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one of my favorite prayers. I wish I could follow it better.
    Thanks for mentioning my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that stained glass photo. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful church. The blue makes it feel like another world.
    When I was young many people did join religious orders. Perhaps that will someday return. I think it will never completely die out. What a nice blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kay,

    We will be singing Now the Green Blade Riseth on Easter Day at St. Simon's. Hope to see you there. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such lovely, calming photos, Kay. The blue light in the monastery is spiritual. When Terry and I got married, one of our musical selections was the Prayer of St. Francis. I love this hymn! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! Those tulips are just so gorgeous and cheerful. That monastery epitomizes what religion should be about. Understanding, love, peace...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting, and lovely photos. Since I live in Alabama, a trip to visit this monastery might make for an delightful weekend road trip. Thanks for sharing.

    I found your blog via Best Posts of the Week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very lovely church, but I love most theprayer. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That prayer is one of my favorites. I actually wen to Italy and saw the Monastery there of St. Francis. Very interesting - nice post . I am going to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete