Monday, August 7, 2017

Fractured Fairy Tales/Talky Tina/ Cindy Lou Who-June Foray







Last week, June Foray died at the age of 99.  She was known as the "Cartoon Queen" as she voiced so many characters over several decades.  I knew that she had been the voice of "Rocky" from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" and also the voice of "Granny" from Sylvester and Tweety.  I now know that she was also the voice behind the wonderful Cindy Lou Who on "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"!  Not only did June Foray use her voice on cartoons but she was ...wait for it...the voice of the doll "Chatty Cathy"!  (This was hugely popular when I was a young girl. I didn't have one and I can't remember wanting one...but you can guess that I was glad my name wasn't Cathy growing up, I was CALLED Chatty Cathy sometimes. Hmm...I wonder why?  HA!)
Anyway, when Rod Serling wanted to write a story on his "Twilight Zone" show with a talking doll ...who do you think he called? Why, that would be June Foray, of course! (Remember the episode of the scary doll with Telly Savalas?  I sure do, it scared me so!)

June Foray was the voice of "Rocky", as I told you above. It made me think...one of my very favorite things on that show was "Fractured Fairy Tales" and I wondered if she might have done some of the voices on those marvelous clever stories, where they took a well known fairy tale but put a twist upon them. Sure enough, she was!  They were wonderful and very funny.  You are able to watch them on YouTube, that is fantastic! Look some up and see what I mean!
Hey! I found the episode of "The Twilight Zone" with "Talky Tina" (I didn't remember the doll's name.)  Watch it if you dare!
June Foray was a very talented woman.    What a lot of work she did in her long life.  You may read her wonderful obituary just here.
                          This photo looks like something from a fairy tale, but not a fractured one!  Richard can get some of the best shots on our walks! I love the light just around the corner...

25 comments:

  1. Kay, I saw a news spot about June passing this past weekend. Sad.
    I loved your road picture. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susie! Would you believe it, that is really one of the trails around here, it does look like a road doesn't it? If it was a road, I KNOW what would be around the corner, a whole bunch of traffic! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, and one that was a large part of my childhood, as it turns out. There may be others who loved cartoons as much I did, but I doubt it. :-)

      Delete
  3. That last shot is really great!
    That is amazing about June. I did not know that. I remember Chatty Cathy! lol My son calls his wife that--and her name is NOt Cathy either.
    Did you know that my aunt lived next door to Rod Serling on Cayuga Lake in NYS. I met him when I was about 11 or 12. He was a small, very intense man that smoked non-stop. lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana, Richard is a great photographer, in my opinion and others think so too!
      You MET Rod Serling! WHat! That is SO neat! I well remember most of the men of that time smoking one cigarette after the other.
      Now, what OTHER things are you keeping from me? Do tell!
      xx

      Delete
  4. That's a wonderful photo, good enough to frame!

    My wife told me a while ago that the light is called "God Rays" or crepuscular rays. I think it has a heavenly spiritual feeling.

    From Wikipedia:
    Crepuscular rays, in atmospheric optics, are rays of sunlight that appear to radiate from the point in the sky where the sun is located. These rays, which stream through gaps in clouds or between other objects, are columns of sunlit air separated by darker cloud-shadowed regions. ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_rays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John!
      Yes, God's rays or crepuscular rays...I did a post on that subject, don't ask me how many years ago! LOL!
      I was hoping that someone might mention the rays and that someone was YOU, so I thank you! :-)

      Delete
  5. Fractured Fairy Tales was my favorite segment on Rocky and Bullwinkle. June Foray did contribute to so many of the best loved cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! You loved the Fractured Fairy Tales too! Is that why people think we are both a bit cracked? Could be! HA!

      Delete
    2. I'll ask Mr Peabody and his boy Sherman. They may have to check the wayback machine.

      Delete
  6. I'd never heard of June Foray, of course, since any cartoon show originally from the US would have had German voice-overs when shown here. Just the fact alone that she was 99 is impressive!
    That photo with the sun rays - it really makes me want to find out what comes behind that bend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved to have been on that walk with us! Do you see the sun shining just beside the trail on the right side? You know I had to walk in front of Richard and get my face in that bright spot of sunshine, it felt glorious, it was early morning so it wasn't burning hot YET!

      Delete
  7. We always loved the Fractured Fairy Tales too, although I have not heard of June Foray. She was clearly very talented.
    What a great photo of sun rays - quite brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patricia! So, you got the Rocky and Bullwinkle show too!
      June Foray also did the voice of the Russian villain, Natasha Fatale on the show!
      Richard just amazes me with this photography skills, he really does!

      Delete
  8. An amazing lady, my condolences to her friends, family and fans. Yes, i'm included in that latter cagegory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know the name, but I surely did know the voice. It will live on and on. Beautiful picture your Richard captured. Maybe not a fairy tale, but wonderful all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MA! I really thought that was a great shot, he really has a good eye, I think!

      Delete
  10. I must confess that I've never heard of June Foray, but I've heard some of her voices. Indeed, we do not know what's round the corner - loved that last photo, Kay. I used to LOVE 'The Twilight Zone' - not in the 60s, but much later when I was a student it was something of a cult thing after the pub. A very young Telly Savalas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I think I saw the episodes of the show when it was repeated in the 70's, I really liked it.
      That Telly Savalas was quite a character, I always liked him too! Who loves ya, Baby?!

      Delete
  11. Hi, Kay! June foray was completely unknown to me until I read your post. What an interesting life she had. Richard is a great photographer ~ loved that last photo! Have a good one, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Louise! It is my job to make sure that folks know about...let's see...the wings of a butterfly, different kinds of chickens, cartoon voices, British TV shows, music that no one else knows about...you know, the IMPORTANT things in life.

      Delete
  12. Thanks Kay for the information on June Foray and I will look online for the video as it would not play on your post. There was an unavailable message, just so you know. Nice photo of the sun's rays coming around the bend. Kudos to Richar on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me that the video won't work! It did when I did this post but that happens sometimes with YouTube!
      Richard is good with his photos, isn't he?
      Thanks again for telling me about the video, I will try to find another one that works! :-)

      Delete