Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Mary Delany, Artist





Mary Delany was a fascinating woman, who lived from 1700 until 1788.  The most amazing thing, she did not make her unique "mosaiks" until she was in her 70's and she created over 1700 of these pieces!  You could understandably think that the photo below is a water color but it is not, what you see are tiny pieces of paper, cut and pasted, layer upon layer and done with such precision that the finished piece looks very much like the original flower!  (You are thinking, why that is just collage! Yes, I know it is but this is extraordinary work, don't you think?)
And a most extraordinary woman she was too, this was written about her... "She judged everything and everybody for herself; and, while ridiculing all empty-headed or vain insipidity, whether fashionable or eccentric, was always ready to applaud the unusual, if sincere and worthy. She was eager in the acquisition of knowledge of all kinds to the end of her life."
Mary Delany04.jpg
 Passion Flower by Mary Delany-1777


Mary Delany was a great letter writer and corresponded with Jonathan Swift and was also great friends with the musician Handel.  I can only imagine what it must have been like to have been in her company! 
Where can you see some of her works?  Why, at one of my favorite places in the world, The Enlightenment Gallery at the British Museum!  You may read much more about Mary Delany here. Also, just here!
I hope you will find her story as interesting as I do!

"She was eager in the acquisition of knowledge OF ALL KINDS to the end of her life."   

    Wild azalea  (NOT a landscape plant, it is a wildflower!)  at Stone Mountain , March 2017.

21 comments:

  1. Wow! That is some amazing, amazing artwork. I never heard of her. She sounds like a gem of a person. Thanks for the introduction to her artwork. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really deserved more written about her but perhaps this short post of mine will call some attention to her!

      Delete
  2. You ccome up with the most interesting subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! You know you do the same! :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, and hard to believe they are not water colours! I wonder how long it took her to complete one. Did she colour the paper herself? I doubt you could just go to the next stationery shop and buy coloured paper back then.
    I'd never heard of Mary Delany before - as is so often the case, you opened yet another window to the world for me through your blog. Thank you, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct, she colored the papers herself! Happy to introduce you to Mary Delaney!
      I have added another link above, if you would like to read more about her!

      Delete
  4. I once read an article about her in Smithsonian I think it was. I thought she sounded interesting too. I didn't know there was more about her in the Enlightenment gallery, so it's time I went to the British Museum again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Smithsonian, you can find some interesting items there! (Richard and I found an article by YOU in one of our past issues! Remember I told you that before?
      Yes, go to the British Museum, by all means!

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of Mary Delany but she obviously was an extremely talented and gifted artist. The passion flower is gorgeous, and to me much more difficult as a cut collage than it would be to paint. It really is exquisite with all those little tendrils. Thank you for introducing us, and for the wild azalea - gorgeous also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was also a dress designer, I do believe. I saw another piece written about her that I really liked but I can't seem to find it just now! There is a book about her by Molly Peacock and I has just now requested it from the library!
      Glad you like the wild azalea too. xx

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of Mary Delany. Thank you for letting us know about her! What exquisite work! And that azalea is amazing! I remember seeing these when we went camping in the Smoky Mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We have wild azaleas at Arabia Mountain and Panola Mountain too, and we have also seen them when we were in Hiawassee last Spring!
      Since you are an artist, I am pleased that I have told you about Mary Delany! I am not an artist but I do appreciate the artists in this world from any century.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing. She was a remarkable artist and one I'd never heard of. The wild flowers on your mountain are remarkable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tire of wildflowers, they are not only beautiful but believe it or not, often overlooked!

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of her before but she sounds amazing! And I'd love to have been pals with Handel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me and you both! Did you notice that whoever put the video together used the music from Handel? I thought that was a nice touch.

      Delete
  9. Never heard of her before, but like her work. What a beauty your wild azalea is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love all flowers but the wild azalea is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the introduction to her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was just a kind of way of pointing her out to you. Glad you like her too!

      Delete
  11. I haven't heard of her before but her work is wonderful. I love collage. One of my favourite paintings in MoMA is Jasper Johns' American flag. I'd never realised until I saw it up close that it's made of scraps of newspaper and so much more fascinating because of it. X

    ReplyDelete