Thursday, March 22, 2012

Patriot Guard Riders/Song of Hope


If you feel in need of some hope and encouragement (and isn't that something we can all have more of ?), please watch this video that I have here for you.  This was from a few years ago and is from a high school production of "The Man Of La Mancha".   The sound quality is not the best but this young man sings so well and so earnestly that I felt very moved by his performance.   Please let me know if you think that this is as good as I think it is.  I watched some very professional actors and singers do this but I felt the sincerity of this was very good.  I have already had this song on one of my earlier posts which was the hit song by Andy Williams and was in a car TV ad, but it is too good a song not to have it on here again.   We are all in need of remembering to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

In the midst of preparing for a baby shower this weekend, there has been a death of one of my son's friends.  They were good friends during the years that they were in Boy Scouts together.  His name is Stephen Bost and he was only twenty-two years old.  We just got back from the visitation at the funeral home.  Since he was in the Air Force, there was a Patriot Honor Guard stationed at the front entrance.  Have you ever heard of them?  Many of them ride motorcyles and they stand respectfully at attention and hold the doors for those who enter and leave and they hold very large American flags, flags that are 3 by 5 feet.  It is a very moving thing to see.  If needed, they shield the family from any protesters and drown out the protesters by singing patriotic songs or by reving their motorcyles.  I am filled with admiration for them.  Here is a link to what they do. http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2407051 

Please forgive me if I have not had the time to read all your wonderful posts that I so much enjoy reading, I hope to get on track soon.  Please say a prayer for the family of this young man...and I thank you in advance.


19 comments:

  1. The young man did an excellent job. The song became popular when I was in high school and it meant a lot to me even then. Sorry to hear about the death of your son's friend. It is hard when a young person dies. I have done a few funerals of such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you liked the song.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree - he sings it very well! How sad about your son's friend,I think the Patriot Honor Guard is a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very moved by those men standing with their flags as we walked past them.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and SK, I meant to say that I am glad you like that song too!

      Delete
  3. The video was really nice, Kay; thank you for sharing it. I am so sorry about Stephen Bost. It's always tragic when someone dies so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha,
      Thank you. I'm glad you liked the song with the young man singing his heart out, I felt like it fitted in this post somehow.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry about your son's friend, Kay. I hope the Patriot Honor Guard helped ease the pain a bit. Hang in there.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dee,
      Thank you so much. I am sure the family were very glad to have them there.

      Delete
  5. Yes, i will pray for the young man's family.

    When i get to the other computer (Ol' Bessy doesn't play videos, they make her choke), i will watch the performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi,
      Thank you. When you do get to see it, let me know and you can tell me on any of my future posts and I will remember it was from this one.

      Delete
  6. I think he did an amazing rendition of this song!

    How tragic when someone this young dies. I have nothing but admiration for the Patriot Honor Guard. It's unconscionable that someone would even consider protesting at a wake or funeral - political views can wait - they are heartless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane,
      So glad you liked it too, that you could see beyond the poor quality of the recording. Like you, I was horrified the first time that I heard of that church protesting at a soldier's funeral but felt in awe of the motorcyle club that blocked the protesters from the family.

      Delete
  7. Very sorry to hear about Stephen's death. I know his family will appreciate all that is done for them - like the Patriot Honor Guard - but at the end of the day there is no real consolation. It's a terrible cliche but time will help to translate grief to grateful remembrance for the twenty two years they had. The problem is that the time needed is measured in years not weeks or months. I hope your son might feel able to keep in touch with them and be there for them as time goes on. Needless to say I shall think of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Scriptor (John),
      Thank you for your comment and I know that since this is such a personal matter, I thank you for your insights into grief.
      Hey, my language skills are not quite up to the job here...I can't write how sorry I felt for the family, how moved I felt by the Honor Guard, how I think the song I put on here goes with this post and I can't thank you properly for your heartfelt comment.

      Delete
  8. Oh my this is a terribly sad post. I am so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with him and his family.
    I agree with you the song is sung really well indeed. I am most grateful for you putting the video up and links.
    Kay I was popping over to say thank you for the gorgeous Square. He is really so good, I shall have a lot of fun putting him in the Blanket. I have mailed you.
    Many thanks.
    Suex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, remember this song from high school, this young man did a wonderful job singing it. I don't do funerals very well, the older I get, and most especially this kind. How very sad. The Honor Guards are beautiful standing there with the flags. That would have made me cry before I even went in. My thoughts are with you and your son and his friends family.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Dorothy,
    Thank you so much for your comment.
    A good many of the Boy Scouts were there and they are all such handsome young men now, I remember them all when they were just little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out of respect, I will close the comments on this particular post. I thank everyone for your continued thoughts and prayers for this family.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete