Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Because All Men Are Brothers

 My goodness, you all know after my last post I had to look up the person who wrote the lyrics to "On Top of Old Spaghetti"! The words are by Tom Glazer (1914-2003) and although that particular song was very popular (it was in the charts for 9 weeks in 1963), he also came to feel a bit chagrinned at its success, much as Mr. Burgess did with his "Purple Cow" poem.  (You have to read my last post!)  You may read more about Tom Glazer just here.)  I do hope you will read about him! 

The wonderful thing about good lyricists to me...they might not write music, but they know a good melody when they hear one and have no qualms about writing words to a song even if it is a well-known one.  Listen to the following song, Tom Glazer wrote the lyrics in 1948 and it is set to Bach's "Passion Chorale", which Bach adapted from a melody by Hans Leo Hussler (1564-1612.) -

 "Because All Men Are Brothers". 




Isn't it something that the man who wrote "On Top of Spaghetti" also wrote "Because All Men Are Brothers"?  I hope you were able to listen to the song and to hear the words.  (I gave you two videos!)



The amaryllis is a nice flower at this time of year! 









14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on Tom Glazer -- did not know this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I just learned it when I was doing my last post. Had to share.

      Delete
  2. That was lovely. One of my favourite tunes, too. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing. Talent always comes forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you wonder at what one is capable of, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. The song is beautiful and it's sung beautifully by Peter, Paul and Mary. How I love that beautiful harmony.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such special words and wishes in that tune. Very relevant today as it was when Peter, Paul, and Mary were popular. I could listen to them all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have time to watch the videos right now or follow the link, but I love the amaryllis!
    Must admit I don't know the Spaghetti song; it must have not been popular in Germany when I was a baby (I was born in 1968 so my parents would listen to a lot of 1960s music).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you can see the amaryllis! I wonder if you even know "On Top of Old Smokey"? Maybe not! :-)

      Delete
  7. Can't go wrong with anything sung by Peter, Paul and Mary...beautiful.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so fabulous to hear Mary sing again. I really loved Peter, Paul and Mary.

    ReplyDelete