Saturday, February 18, 2023

Watch This: "The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari"

 If you have not seen this excellent documentary about the deadly 2019 volcanic eruption in New Zealand, please do so! I have seen it described as "gripping" and that was certainly true for me.  Don't know if you know this but I am all about books and films about true stories from real life, and especially those that show the bravery and resilience of people during (and after) a traumatic experience. I say "during" and "after" because after such a life altering experience as being on an island during a volcano eruption, for those who survive, the effects are lingering, not just physical but psychological.  

The documentary is by Rory Kennedy. Perhaps you might remember her name, she is the youngest child of Robert and Ethel Kennedy.  After seeing the documentary, I read a magazine article where she was interviewed. One of the things that she said was that she chose to tell the story only through the views of those who were there.  I can't tell you how many times I have watched documentaries where some "expert" comes on and tells us every single detail of the science behind the event.  I just want to say, "Never mind that, just let us hear from the actual PEOPLE who lived through it!" This film does just that and what is more, if you watch this and are not absolutely overwhelmed by the courage of those who survived and the rescuers...well, you just will, I know you will. I pray for those who lost loved ones and for continued strength for those who survived and for those who were involved in the rescue.

If you are not able to view this in your part of the world just now, please make a note of it for the future.  I want to say more about it, but of course, I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't seen it.



Perhaps you know of couples who have met on dating apps and wonder if any of them are successful? The couple that survived the volcano in this film met in such a way. They were on their honeymoon cruise when they did this shore excursion to the island of Whakaari in New Zealand. Such an amazing couple! I am sure you will think so too, their love shines through for all to see.

The song that I have to go with this post is one that I also hope you will listen to carefully.  You might be tempted to sing along but please, make sure you listen to the harmonies! They are amazing. By the way, you all know that I am big fan of Glen Campbell, Sadly, he died a few years back.  This video is a medley of him singing with David Gates. (Remember the group "Bread"?) It is from a show on the BBC in 1975. Note the expression of great respect on the face of Glen Campbell when they begin singing. Now, after listening to the song, I am glad to say that David Gates is still married to his high school sweetheart, married since 1959! Of course, they didn't meet on a dating app but that doesn't mean that you can't find true love online! 

Peace and harmony, my friends. Love always!








34 comments:

  1. I honestly don't remember that Volcano - I have to check it out.
    I love Glen Campbell - sorry he died with Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tragedy in New Zealand in 2019. The documentary is done in a very respectful manner. I was most impressed by it.
      Glen Campbell will always be a favorite of mine. My husband and son are both guitarists, so they are huge fans also.

      Delete
  2. You would probably love the book I have finished recently, Dr. Edith Eva Eger‘s autobiography that is all about resilience and taking responsibilty for one‘s own life and happiness, no matter the aversities.

    I met my late husband online (in a Star Trek chatroom in 1999), and I found O.K. on a dating website. Both times I can honestly say that it was and is true love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked her up, Dr. Edith Eva Eger and you are correct, I would most certainly like her book, as well as anything else she has written.
      Yes! I well remember you telling me about the Star Trek chatroom! And that you met O.K. on a dating website. I hope you will see the documentary I told you about and see if what you think of the couple that I have told you about here. I wish I could meet them! As I wish I could meet all those that they showed on the doc, they are all heroes.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Make sure to look out for the documentary, I am sure you will see why I wrote this post about it.

      Delete
  4. H, Kay! This video sure brought back memories. thanks for sharing it. I've bookmarked the volcano video to watch later. I remember when this happened. Have a great week! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Let me know when you watch this! I just know you will appreciate it too. Hugs to you out in snowy Colorado from Georgia in 80 degree heat!!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you. I want first person accounts. That is a great duet. You always choose fantastic music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying I choose fantastic music! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!

      Delete
  6. I will make a note of this documentary Kay. Surviving such calamitous, horrendous events, these people are incredible, inspirational. Thank you for sharing it, and for that wonderful video also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I just know you will find the documentary as inspirational as I do! And glad you liked the video too!

      Delete
  7. Another friend mentioned this day before yesterday, i am determined to make time to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? I'm not the only one who must be talking of this documentary. I read that it was very much talked about in December of 2022 but then, I am always late to things! LOL!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kay - the eruption 'down under' was frightening and so sad that people died - I saw a few programmes here on it - always informative. I've just read Pompeii by Robert Harris - which was so educative. Thanks for your visit - Cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you, Hilary! I have seen a LOT of documentaries in my time. One of my very favorites is "The Donner Party" by Ric Burns. (Not the more well-known Ken Burns, Ric Burns is his brother.) I must say that this documentary is just as good as that one or even better. You have to know how particular I am about "my" films! I don't recommend things to you lightly.
      If you get the chance, you should see it.

      Delete
  9. It's amazing what people can do when it comes to helping others. No matter what disaster occurs you see people coming from all over to help out. The news is full of people helping others. Good reminder to all of us to do what we can to help too. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the point that Rory Kennedy was making in the film! You would love this, I know it. xx

      Delete
  10. I'll have to wait for it to come by me.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John! Be sure and let me know what you think when you see it! Hope you are doing well! Take care!

      Delete
    2. John, It seems that I can't look at your blog. It says that I am denied permission. I don't know about blogger these days!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kay, I'll try and see what's happening.

      Delete
    4. When I checked, it was set to "custom readers" I changed it to anyone can comment.

      Delete
    5. Thanks! I thought it was something I was doing wrong. That's the usual case! LOL.

      Delete
  11. I used to watch the Glenn Campbell show when I was younger and loved him. Thank you for the recommendation about the NZ volcano. I just told Art about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think about it!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to tell you we watched The Volcano. Oh my gosh! That was awful and so very sad. The video was very, very interesting. Thank you for telling us about it. Thank goodness our volcanoes in Hawaii are not as dangerous.

      Delete
    3. I know. It was very sad. The documentary was made by Rory Kennedy, the daughter of Robert and Ethel Kennedy. Ethel was pregnant with Rory at time of Robert Kennedy's assassination. Also very sad.

      Delete
  12. I'll look for the documentary! Thanks for the heads up!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna! Hugs to you, my friend. I know I am the worst person to write about a good book or film. I don't want to say too much, just read it or watch it! LOL!

      Delete
  13. Lots of volcano's and earthquakes out that way. They are best avoided in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And now I have a Bread song running through my head (Everything I Own - not sure why that popped up when you mentioned David Gates)! I'll look out for that documentary. It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny! I also have been singing "Everything I Own"! It's true! Please make sure you do see the film, you will be filled with admiration and respect for the rescuers and survivors.

      Delete