Tuesday, January 31, 2023

WD40/ Blurb












 Someone once wrote a comment on my blog that said, "Thanks SO much for that little factoid".  I have had a few nasty things left here over the years but that one....well, I just thought to myself, if you don't care for the things that interest me then please, just take a hike! 

My father used to listen to show on the radio that was by "The Professor of Useless Knowledge". He loved it! (Very often, info given would be the background of things that we use everyday that we take for granted.) He said to me once, in a kind of confidential tone, "You know, Kay, I don't think any knowledge is useless. I like learning about anything!"  My Daddy died in 2019. How I wish I could tell him the following but by telling it here on my blog, I think it would please him.... (And oh, how much I love to learn of anything and everything too, just as he did!)


Whenever I hear a door squeak as it is closing, I can just hear my Daddy say, "That needs some WD40."  (He always said this, and you know I do the very same thing).   WD40, it stands for water displacement and was invented in San Diego, California in 1953 by the Rocket Chemical Company which is now the WD40 Company! What does the "40" stand for?  They got it right on the 40th try! It was originally designed to protect a missile from rust and corrosion, but the employees of the company began to take cans of the product home in their lunch boxes for personal use.  What exactly is in WD40? I can't tell you that, it is a trade secret and was never patented.  The copy of the formula is in a bank vault in San Diego, California, just in case anyone is worried about it! 

That really tickles me thinking of the 40th try... I wonder, what IF a person had said, "Dad-gum it, this is the 39th time trying this, I am GIVING UP!".  See, whenever you think of failure, just go and look at that can of WD40, you know you have one! 

______________________________________

Remember me telling you that my husband and I like to do "Wordle"? One of the words recently was "blurb".  It made me wonder how long that word had been around.  It was coined in 1907 by Frank Gelett Burgess (1866-1951), an American writer. His book, "Are You a Bromide", showed a woman on the cover called "Belinda Blurb" who touted his book. Therefore, "blurb" came to be known as "an inspired testimonial" or "a flamboyant advertisement". (Those quotes were his descriptions.)  It also amused me to discover that he is the same man who wrote the following:

"I never saw a purple cow,

I never hope to see one;

But I can tell you, anyhow.

I'd rather see than be one."


Perhaps you find that verse tiresome and I think the author himself must have come to feel the same way, since he also wrote this...

"Ah yes, I wrote the "Purple Cow".

I'm sorry now I wrote it.

But I can tell you, anyhow,

I'll kill you if you quote it!"


Still, I am fond of rhyme and you really should have some funny bits to quote to children! You know I always have some! Why, how many people know all the words to "On Top of Spaghetti"?  This is sung to the tune of "On Top of Old Smokey" and I don't know, I STILL think it's funny! Look it up, folks, I will QUIZ you on this!) LOL!

So, that reminds me, very often, I used to call my Daddy and say, "Guess where I am?" and he would say "On Top of Old Smokey?" (meaning Stone Mountain, which is the highest point around this area).  Therefore, I have given you a photo of me on the very top of Stone Mountain!  Go take a hike folks, it's good for you!


And listen to music! As I have been typing this post,  Richard was playing this song by Ralph McTell, "The Maginot Waltz".  Ralph's guitar playing is very good but you know what, Richard is very, very good too!  What a lovely song! If you click on that link below, I do hope you will hear Ralph himself playing and singing!


(2) Maginot Waltz - YouTube








I really wanted to make sure that I got at least one more post written during the month of January. WHEW! I made it! 


31 comments:

  1. I LOVE useless knowledge and trivia! Thanks for enlightening us about the origin of "blurb!" I can only remember two verses of "On Top of Spaghetti" -- are there more? Somehow I think there are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there are more verses! Thank you, Debra! You have inspired another post about songs.

      Delete
  2. I like to keep on learning and it is fun to collect odd little bits of info. I am a librarian, maybe that explains some of that. For WD40, the 40th try, that is a wonderful tidbit of information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smallest thing can amuse me! Guess you can tell,ha ha!

      Delete
  3. Glad you didn't use WD40 on top of Stone Mountain! I thought WD40 was older than that, from the number of old cans I've seen as relatives died off. I wish I'd written down all the jingles my Dad used to tell, like the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, and Sally by the Seashore. Nice blog blurb! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey LInda! Lucky for us we can look up anything online now!

      Delete
  4. WD40 is familiar here, too - I have a can in my tools cupboard but have had need for it only very rarely. I didn't know the history behind the product and the name, and like you, I love such background knowledge!
    I wonder what your Daddy would have made of the whole Covid thing. With my Dad, we were never quite sure how well he understood of what was going on, why he had to wear a mask when going to the doctor's, and why at the very start of the pandemic my sister and I were not coming any closer than outside the house, and would not hug or kiss our parents for months...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2019 was the year of our father's death and then, 2020 was Covid, so those were two rough years there. Our Dad was pretty good at keeping up with the news and I suspect that he might have been one of the first to see what was on the horizon regarding the pandemic. Hard to say how he might have handled it. I'm thinking of you and how you used to visit your parents at their allotment, for some reason, I can picture that so clearly in my mind, as if I had been with you! Must be due to your excellent writing skills and I keep forgetting that English is not your first language!

      Delete
  5. Super post Kay, and your Dad sounded such a sweet guy and I enjoyed your memories of him. I love learning these things as I did today. All fun trivia/info and I will look forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I say "my" Dad but really must say "our" Dad because he had more children than just me! Our Dad was a great father and a great guy too, a very funny man he was!

      Delete
  6. I love "factoids"!! Bring 'em on! How do people learn new things, if not from others?
    Oh, and for squeaky doors? Use Pledge Furniture polish! Spray it on hinges instead of WD40...WD40 gets gummy after a while but furniture polish doesn't!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have seen that people use Pledge also! Not that I ever have, since I have asthma, strong smells bother me so I always let someone else fix squeaky doors! Just being honest!!

      Delete
  7. I love useless knowledge! You just never know when it will come in handy to fill an awkward situation! 'If you open your eyes in a pitch-black room, the color you'll see is called "eigengrau."'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No useless knowledge here! LOL!
      You know I have notes for a post about color and I do think that word is in my notes! Now, I have not written that post because it got a bit too long and colorful! HA HA!

      Delete
  8. I agree with your Dad there is no such thing as useless knowledge. Every day is a school day for me and I love learning new things. It seems the more I know the more there is to learn. Thanks for you very interesting post..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad and I would love to call each other up and say, "Guess what I learned today?" I sure do miss that.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. THANKS, Ma for letting me know that was you! xx

      Delete
  10. I just loved this and loved how you loved your dad so much. You know I did good in school but I can't say I wanted to learn.
    Now I am interested in truly learning something.
    That is one good thing about old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I bet your parents might have gottten this note from your teachers..."Would do better if she didn't talk so much". Am I right? Never mind, we can learn it as we go in life!

      Delete
  11. Music has always been important to me. I love all kinds. Yes I do know all the words to On Top Of Old Smoky both the original and the parody On Top Of Spaghetti. I did not know the origin of blurb so I thank you for that. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Truly". Thank YOU! Your comment made me smile!

      Delete
  12. I always find your posts edifying and interesting. Often I research a song or topic you mention; for example, I find that I did not know the correct definition of 'factoid'. I thought it was a fancier synonym for 'fact' - didn't know it meant trivial and was a put-down. So I learned that I love factoids and have wished there was a market for my useless knowledge. Please pay attention to all the compliments and appreciative comments you receive about your blog topics, and ignore the negative ones (I'm sure they are few in number.)

    BTW, I am originally from Augusta and Athens but am also an Anglophile. So you can see why your blog title intrigued me. Please keep posting interesting topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Edifying" is a wonderful word that I truly love associated with my blog. Thank you! (You hardly ever see that word anywhere these days.) I certainly know the word "factoid". I don't think that anything should be said to anyone else as a "put-down". We need to think of ways of building each other up, not the opposite!
      Thanks, Eileen in Florida! (Georgia Girl/Anglophile)

      Delete
  13. I've used WD40 on many things over the years, cars, engines, locks, metal ladders, stuck windows and doors, safes, etc and never had a clue who made it so that was a very interesting fact for me. I always keep a can of it in the boot of the car just in case as it's so useful in any situation... frozen door locks, engine not starting in sub zero temperatures etc...and it works... like magic. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob! So good to see your comment here!
      Isn't it funny how you can just look up just about anything on the internet now. I drive myself crazy researching just about everything! Now, if only I can remember it. LOL!!

      Delete
  14. Haha, is that you, Adman in Scotland? If not, you have a twin commenter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, my hubby loves that stuff! We use it on everything. I love to learn something new each day and I enjoy when you share your knowledge and also your love of music. I do wordle too and I usually get it in at least 3 tries. There are some days that I wish there were 40 tries! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Wordle too! I am hoping to get it in ONE try one day! We are very much alike, my friend. You must let me know if you ever visit this area, we could meet up at Stone Mountain! (After finishing our Wordle for that day, of course!!) Take care!

      Delete
    2. I hope to get to your neck of the woods one day as my brother lives in Georgia..(in Ackworth)! That would be a fun day on the mountain! P.S..I got wordle in 2 today!

      Delete
    3. We go past Acworth on drive to Chattanooga, it's north of Atlanta so about 1 1/2 hours from us. We have gotten Wordle in 2 but not today! Took us 4 tries! One of our friends said on Facebook that he just gave up today! LOL!!

      Delete