Friday, July 15, 2022

First Song (And I Still Love You)

 

If any of you are lucky enough to be around someone who knows how to play the guitar, I suggest you ask them to learn some songs by Ralph McTell!  Richard loves to play a song by him called "First Song".  Now, here's the thing...it is a beautiful song but it is very hard to sing along as you play it!  Go ahead, try it.... see what I mean? I have the video of the song with Ralph McTell and I do hope you enjoy this as much as I do! (You MUST listen until the very end...but in case you can't, I have given you the ending in the title to this post. AND I found the lyrics too!)

As you are listening to it, I hope you like a few photos that Richard has taken over the past weeks.  Let's see, Richard is a gardener, a musician, and a photographer...what do I do?

Well, SOMEONE has to just sit around and enjoy those around them who are super talented! At least, I am honest and appreciative!






Super zoomed in view of Stone Mountain from Panola Mountain! 




The lovely Fire Pink that I look for every single year.  (It's always there! At Panola Mountain.) And it is hard to photograph- the flowers are delicate and on very slender stalks. The least amount of wind moves them.

This is one of the trails at Panola Mountain State Park.





The Monastery in Rockdale County


"Consider the lilies of the field"



 PLEASE LISTEN TO THE VIDEO ABOVE!!  You will thank me! Music and lyrics by Ralph McTell.

   LYRICS: 

I've written words that say I'm leaving
Words express the pain
Old songs lose young meanings
But new ones they gain
from changes that I've been through
And new ones I'm coming to
And you were my first song and I still....

Sure I still get feelings to get back on the road
And I still get leanings to forget the things I know
About myself and changes gone through and coming to
And you were my first song and I still ....

Do words express true meanings,
I mean the words are still the same
And old loves lose young feelings
But new ones they gain
From changes that I've been through
And new ones I'm coming to
And you were my first song and I still... 

love you.



20 comments:

  1. Beautiful lyrics, and beautiful photos!
    Thank you for this beautiful post, dear Kay. It was good to read this before embarking on the long trip to Yorkshire. Consider the lilies... yes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are having fun in Yorkshire and not getting too hot! Take care!

      Delete
  2. I remember your fire pinks from posts past. For once I actually stopped and listened to the song. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for taking the time to listen to the song, Graham! Just think, I get to hear it all the time! I am so lucky. I love music on the guitar.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful song, thanks for introducing us to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do thank you!! He is mentioned in the wonderful Electric Eden by Rob Young. I think that's a book that would really interest you and Richard. I wrote a bit about it here: https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2021/01/2020-book-facts.html
    It is kind of in the middle of the posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I went back and read your post! I am not surprised that Ralph McTell is mentioned in that book. He is very popular almost everywhere except America! And Ralph is very well known by most guitarists, I should think. Ralph McTell was brought up in Croydon in England, just as my husband was, they both attended John Ruskin School, although Richard was a few years later! Like you, books and articles will send me researching all kinds of things, especially songs!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful song...it has meaning for me...
    hughug
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I am so pleased that you like it and find wonderful meaning to it. xx

      Delete
  6. I listened and thought the music was lovely with its tender lyrics.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie! I very much enjoyed sharing this and hoping that others would love it too. xx

      Delete
  7. I love the finger-picking style - some call it the Travis Pick, after Merle Travis I presume. It's been my husband's preferred style since his folk music days. An aside, he has 3 fake Acrylic nails on right hand so he doesn't have to wear the special metal picks. He gets funny looks in the Nail Salons where we now live, but when we lived in Nashville, it was a common thing among 'pickers.' Thank you for the music (I bookmark all of them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and son also finger pick when they play guitar! And it does not surprise me at all about the fingernails! It is always a big thing when a guitarist breaks a nail! (There goes the music until the nail grows back! LOL!)

      Delete
  8. No guitar players here in my household. My two furry mates refuse to pluck the strings! However, I have been watching and listening to lots of great music videos streaming on Stingray.

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I bet those furry mates get up to all kinds of things that you don't know about! Isn't great that you can listen to any kind of music now? Whatever floats your boat!!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post and song! Like you, i don't have much talent except the talent to appreciate what others can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate and am thankful every day! So glad you liked the song!!

      Delete
  10. I too am a talent appreciator! My son does play guitar and I'll have to show him this. Very lovely song and lyrics. Thanks for sharing and even thanks for the simple tears shed when reading as he sang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to tell your son about Ralph McTell! "Streets of London" might be one of Ralph's best known songs but even then, Ralph Mctell is not that well known among Americans. So glad you liked the song too! Stay cool, fellow appreciator! xx

      Delete