Sunday, May 30, 2021

B J Thomas (1942-2021)

 As many of you know, I appreciate and write about songwriters but what you might not know is that I also greatly admire talented singers. We just lost a very good one- B J Thomas.  He died of lung cancer which was just diagnosed at the end of March of this year.  If you look at his website, it states that he didn't write "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" but he defined it.   His official website is just here.  I urge you to visit it!  Not only was he a great singer but a really nice guy. I loved how he would call so many of his friends, his "brothers". We need more people like B J Thomas in the world, spreading love and music with a positive message.  

B J Thomas went through a rough patch at one point in his life but he credited his wife for getting him back on the right track.  It is his wife and daughters and family that I am thinking of at this moment, along with his many friends around the world. 

Enough of my words, let's hear B J Thomas singing "In The Garden".



 "Most of All"





"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"


"Rock and Roll Lullaby"



"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"  (From the film, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid")

The lyrics to this song were very helpful for me in 2020.  The positive message will be for all time.  (Written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach. It is the B J Thomas vocal that stays with you.)





Billy Joe Thomas (BJ) was a big admirer of Elvis.  It seems that I remember reading that BJ took over the rest of Elvis Presley's concert tour in 1977 after Elvis died.  Writing this post, I tried to research this and can't find that anywhere, perhaps someone could tell me if this is so?  I read a great interview where he talked about driving from Texas to Graceland in Memphis in the 1960's and when he got there, he simply told them, "I'm here to see Elvis".  (Elvis wasn't there, he was in California at the time filming movies but nevertheless, B J was invited inside for sandwiches made by Minnie Mae, Elvis' grandmother.  A different time, the 1960's.) 

 

B J Thomas, rest in peace, my brother.







22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And even though he is gone we still have his songs.

      Delete
  2. I loved Raindrops a lot. He sang it well. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been so hard for his friends and family, he very short time from his diagnose to his death. On the other hand, knowing that his suffering did not drag on and on as it does for some others, can be of some comfort to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do feel as if I have lost a friend, I followed him on Instagram and he followed me back. He even liked my photos!
      I think that was what got me through 2020, honestly. I didn't mention that in my post, it just didn't seem right. I also told him once when someone had hacked his account and he sent me a nice note back. thanking me and signed it "B". Thrilled me no end. By the way, I don't much on Instagram, I think I only put photos on there in 2020 and 2021 just to see if BJ Thomas would "like" them!

      Delete
  4. This is the most beautiful tribute to a talented man. He had a great voice and great material to sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am never good at writing something when I have strong feelings connected to it, so if my admiration came across for him, I'm glad.

      Delete
  5. A very nice tribute, Kay. I'm surprised that he's not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or at least I couldn't find him as one of the inductees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of folks who should be in there but are not, it seems to be a political type thing about it.

      Delete
  6. I remember BJ Thomas and loved his songs. It's so sad to lose him. This is a beautiful tribute to a gifted artist, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay, I do love very good singers.

      Delete
  7. My heart aches for all who knew and loved him. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also makes me think that for those who have lost loved ones this year, that for 2020 when they could have done more things, they couldn't because of the pandemic. Sad.

      Delete
  8. We've lost far too many greats this year. Thankfully they do live on in their songs, recorded for all of us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, music lives forever. Music and love, for always!

      Delete
  9. This site might be of interest to you, Kay...

    https://jeremylr.medium.com/back-when-memphis-was-electric-b-j-thomas-on-chips-moman-and-the-memphis-boys-dcf626f5bd40

    The music of today, in my opinion, is not as good as the music of yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would go so far as to say that much of what passes for music these days is NOT music!
      Thanks for that link! Not only did I read that, but I have read many other articles and interviews about BJ and The Memphis Boys. BJ stated that Reggie Young, the guitarist from the Memphis Boys was "one of the greatest guitar players of them all". (Reggie Young did the guitar intro from "Hooked On A Feeling". So memorable!) I can't tell you how much "research" I do on music and the background to songs! LOL! Thanks! Hope you are okay in your beautiful Australia! x

      Delete
    2. You and I are similar in our music habits, I think, Kay! lol

      If you've not already watched it, there is a very good documentary on Netflix at present..."Elvis Presley...The Searcher". It it worth watching ...3 hours in length...in two episodes. Col. Parker had a lot...a lot to answer for, in my opinion.

      Take good care...The Land of Oz is battling on...a few upsets here and there. All is well with my two furry mates and me. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for telling me about the Elvis documentary. You know I am a big fan of Elvis! And that Col. Parker, I remember reading that he did NOT want Elvis to do his 1968 comeback special but Elvis did it anyway, thank God! I remember being at my Grandfather's house with a bunch of cousins watching that as a kid. Thought is was great then and I still do.
      Life carries on here, we just keep on keeping on! Take care yourself!

      Delete
    4. Parker was an illegal...that's why he never wanted Elvis to give concert tours throughout the world. Parker was Dutch, and never became an American. I wish he'd been kicked out.

      I, too, have always been a fan of Elvis.

      Delete
    5. Yes, I did know that about Col.Parker. Such a shame that Elvis didn't tour around the world. I never saw him live but I understand his concerts were truly something to witness.

      Delete