Sunday, June 6, 2021

I Just Can't Help Believing (Brasstown Bald)

 


This is not a photo of an old lady hailing a taxi, this is me with my tag showing that I have paid admission for Brasstown Bald. (Highest point in Georgia at elevation of 4,784 feet.) My husband and I hiked to the top on a nice paved trail that is only 1/6 of a mile but it is quite steep! We BELIEVE that we can still do it! (There is a shuttle that runs from the parking lot if you can't make the short hike.) Can you see that tower at the top of the mountain? That's where we're headed!

The trail can be quite busy but the day we were there, it was very quiet, just leaves rustling and birds singing...


 






Look, we've almost made it!

Once you climb that short distance to the flag, there are steps up to different levels. It is really like being on a ship at sea, but instead of water, it is trees as far as the eye can see...










There is the tower that I showed you! You can't climb up that,  I would if permitted to do so.


Not only are the mountains gorgeous but the clouds on the day that we were there were very nice too.


We were up there with the birds, I am telling you! (See how it looks like a ship?)  That's me with my hiking bag trying to ruin the shot! (We're not certain what kind of bird this is, we will have to do more research.)






Look! We can see our car from the top! There are only 3 vehicles in the parking lot. Told you it was quiet! (Our car is the one near the white van.)  Richard is very good with a zoom, don't you think?

Interesting for us, the leaves on the trees were a light green, as in early Spring. In our area, the leaves have been out for some time and full and dark green now.  It is that much of a difference between the Atlanta area and the North Georgia mountains!




Brasstown Bald is near the town of Hiawassee. It is on Lake Chatuge and there is a botanical garden there called Hamilton Gardens. You know we had go there!


We just saw the last of the rhododendrons in bloom. There are 1200 rhododendrons in the gardens! (Their peak is from the last two weeks of April through mid May.)  Even though we missed the mass of the blooms, we were very well pleased to see the lovely TREES along the trails there.  A truly lovely spot.





The Lakeside Trail was very nice in the trace of a misty morning.




If you can remember the beginning of my post, the tag that I have around my wrist says "Let's Go FIND Outdoors".  Let's do that, people!
__________________________________________




Found a great video for you.  B J Thomas with Vince Gill.

Hope you like this as much as I do! (I keep humming this to myself.)



34 comments:

  1. What a wonderful view from the top! That is just awesome. I hate going uphill. I know I'm such a wimp, but I love it once we're up there. How wonderful that you were able to have such a lovely view, such a lovely day. I remember that song. Thank for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day! And I didn't say but it was our anniversary! So happy we were able to get up to the mountains to celebrate! I must admit, I really liked the downhill hike better! LOL!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I've got you with whom to go on a virtual trek, Kay. Left to my own devices, I'd still be stuck in the car! :)

    Love the video. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day out! Reminds me of walking up Glastonbury Tor to St Michael's Tower at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day! I've never been to Glastonbury which is in Somerset, I would really like to see more of England!

      Delete
  4. A great day out. Great views and great foto's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks! It sure was nice to get in the car and go somewhere.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't be able to make that climb anymore, but so glad you could and that you showed pictures. Being on a mountain top is beautiful and full of exciting views. I bet you felt on top of the world! Thanks so much for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! On top of the world! I noticed that there were arrows painted on the flooring asking folks to walk one way, so that means that there are usually a WHOLE LOT of folks up there! So glad it was a quiet day when we visited.

      Delete
  6. Breathtaking views. All I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that is exactly what I said, "WOW'.

      Delete
  7. It would take me a long time to get up there but it would be great. Thanks for the views and it does look like a ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like a ship but nice thing, I didn't get seasick! LOL.

      Delete
  8. Very much the kind of walk O.K. and I enjoy! What's with the tower, not open to the public?
    You are right, it really is like a ship, with the trees for water! Great pictures, and I am so glad you were able to do that walk and have it all to yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not given the reason, it just says the the observation tower is not open to the public. So, I don't know why! As I say, I would go up there if I could. And yes, we were glad we pretty much had it to ourselves. It was our anniversary!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful spot and great pictures. I'll have to put that location on my lists of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, and the little town of Hiawassee too! There are some fun artists who perform at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds!

      Delete
  10. My Gosh- What a beautiful sight with all those mountains and trees and seas of green. Will listen to the BJ Thomas song- I loved him and am sad to know he has joined the heavenly band. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana!
      I was so very sad to learn of B J's passing. Do you do Instagram? I do but just like blogging, I'm not very good at it. Guess what B J Thomas followed ME! Yes, I know, little old me in Georgia. He LIKED my photos! I truly think that was one of the few things that got me through 2020. My poor husband would hear me holler from another room..."BJ LIKED MY PHOTO!!!" Can't tell you how much that thrilled me. xx

      Delete
  11. That looks such a beautiful place, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan! It is a gorgeous spot. Happy to share. xx

      Delete
  12. Dear Kay, this posting with the video music was, for me, like a slice of Georgia delivered into my home. I've been there only once. As an editor, I flew to Atlanta and went to Emory to visit with a professor there who was writing a book. I hoped to interest him in publishing with the Minnesota press for which I worked. So I've never really been out in the country and seen the beauty of your mountains. (Are they the foothills of the Appalachians or the Smokies?)The music, too, spoke to me. Ah, such a delicious slice of Georgia! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brasstown Bald is in the Blue Ridge Mountains. (You can see why they are called that!) The Blue Ridge Mountains are a physiographic province of the Appalachian Mountains. When one is looking west from Brasstown Bald, one is overlooking the Appalachian Trail which begins (or ends, depending on your direction traveled) in Springer Mountain, Georgia. The Great Smoky Mountains are just that bit further north of here, in North Carolina and Tennessee. Also, part of the Appalachians! So glad you liked this post! When you said it was a delicious slice or Georgia, it reminds me of that I bought some Georgia peaches when I was up there! :-)

      Delete
  13. Dear Kay, thanks for the geography lesson. The lay of the land was never my strong suit in school. I have camped in the Great Smokies, but never looked at the map to see exactly where the mountains wended to. As to those peaches, yum. yum. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 0h my goodness, I hope you know that I looked all that up and put this on here for you! 😊 I mean, I knew this area was Blue Ridge Mountains but somehow it was the Appalachians too! Thanks very much for sending me peace, I am in great need of it, so stressed out I'm afraid to take my blood pressure! Peace to you.

      Delete
  14. You've been very quiet, Kay...I do hope all is well with you and yours. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking, Lee. I have had some stuff happen in my life but that's life, isn't it? You will have bring out your Frank Sinatra albums and play me that song! Hope you are well in your part of the world. Keep on keeping on! xx

      Delete
  15. Looks a great summit view. Glad you got it on a quiet day as that makes it extra special. Not much grows here above 1000 foot at all, certainly no trees, so interesting to see forests thriving that high up due to latitude and a much warmer climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a t shirt that I want that says, "I Walked the Width of the Appalachian Trail". Notice it says "WIDTH". There is a spot where the trail crosses OVER a road, if you pull over and walk it, you should wear that t shirt! And there is another mountain not too far away called "Blood Mountain" that is almost as high as Brasstown Bald with amazing views. I lived there as a small child and the memory of the mountains on the horizon is a good one. Doing my family research, my "people" have been in those mountains since very early days of settlement!

      Delete
  16. That should say, I lived NEAR Blood Mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this blog- brought back such good memories. We climbed up that butt-kicking hill a few times to watch the professional cyclists in the Tour de Georgia. It was so much fun! I hate they canceled the tour.
    Loving the song here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tour de Georgia! Oh yes, maybe they will bring that back one day.
      Thanks very much for your visit. I drive everyone crazy with songs from YOUTUBE. Can't help it, I think there is music for everything. And please stop by my blog again. I might even be able to write another post one day! LOL!

      Delete
  18. So beautiful, the photos and the music! Thank you, Kay!

    ReplyDelete