Thursday, May 6, 2021

Interruptions (Porlock) - Happy Trails!

 


There are things that seem to disrupt my inspired creativity these days...


Do you all know the poem "Kubla Klan" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge? I bet you do.  The one that talks about "a stately pleasure dome" and "the river Alph" and "Xanadu"?  The full title of the poem is "Kubla Khan: or A Vision In A Dream". You see, the poem came to him after a drug induced dream in the year 1797.  The next morning when he set about to write it all down, he was interrupted by a visitor from the neighboring village of Porlock. Sad to say, he just could not get back into the rhythm of it and was not able to fully complete it as he wanted. He wrote down what he could and was unhappy about it, as it was not as he originally envisioned and only showed it to friends. Coleridge left it unpublished until his friend, Lord Byron persuaded him to publish it in the year 1816.  Therefore, if one has a "visitor from Porlock" or just "Porlock" it means that someone or something has interrupted one's inspired creativity!

Now, I have TWO things that make me think of the word "interrupt"...one is quite lovely and the other is quite silly.

I know you are all dying to know my examples!

Okay, here is the beautiful one..."Interrupted fern".

Ferns are so beautiful! I have spent quite some time trying to identify ferns recently. You might think that this would be a simple thing, but that is not the case. Georgia has a great number of native ferns and they are just as difficult to identify as oak trees! The interrupted fern is not one that I would see here in Georgia but the sound of it pleases me, I can't say why that is so. (The interrupted fern is called that because there is an "interruption" of fronds in the middle.) 

Now, for the silly one... it is a knock knock joke!

"Knock knock".

"Who's there"

"The interrupting cow".

"The interrupting cow, wh...."

"MOO".


HA HA! Silly but funny.  And not a bad joke for children, you can teach them some manners at the same time.


Happy trails, my friends!






14 comments:

  1. I definitely remember that poem by my old friend Sam. He was quite the fan of opium. I like both of your interruptions.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the examples of interruptions. The ones that stop me from doing things aren't nearly as fun.

      Delete
  2. It's a while since I heard the poem Kubla Khan. My Mum used to recite it. Needless to say I didn't know the story you told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your Mum recited that poem,it must be very special to you. Happy to share that background about it, only just learned that myself.

      Delete
  3. It won‘t surprise you that I am not familiar with the poem, but it is always interesting to learn a bit of background story or context to any piece of art, be it a song, a poem, a book, a sculpture or a paintimg.
    Ferns are beautiful, and belong to the oldest species of plants on our planet.
    The interrupting cow could be a joke coming from little P., Jennifer‘s friend - I believe you know her blog, too, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ferns are very ancient. I always think of a fern frond in a fossil, don't you? I know so much about ferns from my research, in luring what every single bit is called. That part ...tge brownish part...the comes up from the soil before it becomes green...that is a stipe. Now, if only I knew for sure the fern we are trying to ID outside our kitchen window! And I'm not sure if I know the blogger you mean, sorry, if I do but forgotten. I tend to do things like that!

      Delete
  4. I did not know that story about "Kubla Khan," thanks for telling us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're welcome! I only just learned it too, had to share it.

      Delete
  5. Dale Evans wrote Happy Trails in the car on the way to the studio one day. The idea came from a song written by Foy Willing for a movie that starred Roy Rogers. It's a great song anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure I've mentioned that before and was going to say it again here but had to end this post abruptly as I was interrupted!😊

      Delete
  6. Forget the kids...I don't have any...never had any...but I am presently being interrupted by Remy, my male cat who is nagging me to share my lunch with him!! He's already had two breakfasts. His sister, Shama, is asleep, snuggled up under the bed covers. My lunch interests her not at all...and I shan't interrupt her slumber!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats! They always interrupt! Back in the day reading a newspaper, our cat would plop right down on the paper as I was reading! One has to laugh.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the Knock Knock joke. I just texted it to my grandsons. They love Knock Knock jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad to pass along a knock knock joke! You have made my day, Kay! 😊

      Delete