Sunday, November 8, 2020

To Everything There Is A Season (Turn, Turn, Turn)

 







TWO videos for you of the same song!  "Turn, Turn, Turn" was a big hit for The Byrds in 1965 although it had been written by Pete Seeger in the late 1950's. So, I have the Byrds singing it for you and also Pete Seeger... it astounds me how a song can be so very different by how it is arranged and by new singers. (Songwriters 101 might become the new name for my blog.)

All of the lyrics except for the "Turn, Turn, Turn Part" and the final two lines are all from the Bible, the Book of Ecclesiastes. 


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain that which is to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time of love, and a time of hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.


"A time to refrain from embracing"...does this remind you of this year when it has become mandatory for us to keep our distance?
Let's always keep hope in our hearts! Stay safe everyone!




24 comments:

  1. Has always been a favourite song of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song and hearing the Bryds brings back my childhood! I've seen many seasons turn in my 67yrs..some good, even great, and some like this year not so good. I hope our country can now go into this new season head of us and learn to have love, peace, and even silence when all that's going on is shouting. Thanks for the memory! I now will have to go find my love beads and I can remember really wanting glasses like those! (Never got them...dang it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, my sister was born in 1966 so I guess I thought I was an adult then, even though I was 9 years old!😊 I didn't get any of the drug references in the 60's, just the peace and love and music!

      Delete
  3. I think we are going to see a time to love. I hope, hope, hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Let's always keep hope in our hearts!"
    Amen


    Many thanks for the music.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always want music and want to share it. All the best to you.

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking it's now time to heal... division, hatred, racism, self centeredness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My late husband loved the Byrds and I still have lots of his music in my account, because they were part of my coming of age years, too. Pete Seeger I didn't know about until a little later, but I appreciate all of them so much, and this happily reminds me of former times.

    But -- I still wish we could be as cozy as those cabbages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo is from a few years back, the most wonderful farmer grew them, my very own Dad. He passed away in Feb. 2019. A man of the Earth who passed along his love for growing things. Beautiful things.

      Delete
  7. I've always loved the song...both the original and the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought it was timely here. Biden quoted this in his speech given on Saturday night.

      Delete
  8. The 1965 version was still very popular during my early childhood (I was born in 1968), and I remember it well; always liked it and still do.
    The lyrics are timeless but really very apt these days!

    You too stay safe, dear Kay, and keep hope in your heart :-x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The refraining from embracing part...that amazes me. You stay safe too!

      Delete
  9. Although it's a bible verse it does lend itself very well as a song the measured way it is written. The Byrds had a very distinctive musical style that stood out from other artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love hymns and this really could be one! Hope you and Alex are keeping well in your part of the world! If you go out, wear a mask! Promise me! Take care.

      Delete
  10. After suffering many inconveniences from COVID-19, I deeply understood we are not alone, many people have been enduring days in 2020 thinking about family members, friends and neighbours in the world. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Nice Sunday to you also, I am reading this on a Sunday!😊

      Delete