Monday, October 26, 2020

Jackie Coogan (Can't Someone Make A Film About Him?) Please?

 

Why doesn't someone make a film about Jackie Coogan? (I even know who should be cast in the role!)

Jackie Coogan was born on Oct. 26, 1914.  He starred with the genius film maker  Charlie Chaplin in "The Kid" in 1921 and is one of the very first child film stars.  His mother and step-father squandered his movie earnings which brought about legal protection for children in the industry, the California Child Actors Bill, well known as the Coogan Act. (He lost almost all of what he had earned, an estimated $3 to $4 million!)

Most of my generation would remember him from various TV shows but especially from "The Addams Family" for his portrayal of "Uncle Fester".

In 1924, he worked with the charity "Near East Relief " on a fundraising drive which brought in over $4million.  When he was only 20 years old, he survived a car accident that took the life of his father and three others, including his best friend. Jackie Coogan served in World War II as a glider pilot taking British troops behind enemy lines in Burma.

Jackie Coogan was married four times and had four children. One of his grandsons, Keith Coogan, is in one of my favorite films, "Adventures In Babysitting"! And THAT is who I think should be cast in my imaginary film about Jackie Coogan, his own grandson, Keith Coogan! Keith was born Keith Mitchell in 1970 but changed his name to Keith Coogan in 1986, two years after the death of his grandfather. He married on Oct. 26, 2013 on what would have been his grandfather's 99th birthday. There...you see, who else should be in that role?

Keith Coogan was a teenager in the film "Adventures In Babysitting" and I thought he did an excellent job. All of the actors were good and the MUSIC!
Oh, I love every single song, you know I do! At one point, the babysitter and the kids have to go on stage and sing a Blues song...I tried to get that song on here for you...perhaps you could do a search and find it!




Time for me to tell you that the clocks have already changed for the UK, so I have to remember that it is just a 4 hour difference at the moment between Georgia and England. It will be back to a 5 hour difference by Sunday, as our clocks fall back this weekend in the USA! Take care everyone, I will still speak to you all when I am a famous movie director, I promise!

24 comments:

  1. One day soon, one hopes that such a bio-film/documentary will be made. With the streaming services, such as Netflix, now available, it could very well be on the cards...and then on our screens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you hear that someone has made one! We can say that they got the idea from me! :-)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like it would make a great film, Kay! You should write up a proposal and send it to a producer, see if you don't get their attention - I am sure they are always on the lookout for interesting film projects.

    Here in Germany, the clocks have changed back to normal time last Sunday, too. Now sunset is at 5:00 pm, and I need to find a way to incorporate my daily walks into the working day. An occasional walk in the dark is nice, but I much rather catch some precious daylight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I am sure that folks are just DYING to get my written words! LOL! You must know me well enough that I could never do that. Heck, you had to almost beg me to have my own blog!!
      It has been so hard to get a good walk in these days, let alone with the days getting shorter and soon enough with the time change. Oh well, we must try our best!

      Delete
    2. Ha! And what happened when my pestering you to start your own blog was finally succesful? Your blog has turned out to be a great place for information and entertainment, and is well-loved by well over 200 readers!

      Maybe I should start a campaign for you to hand in your movie ideas...

      Delete
    3. And we could attend the Oscars together! Now, doesn't that sound like the best of fun?! Dreaming is nice!☺

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe I could get my son to write and direct a film about him. He is a proper writer after all and a film major to boot!

      Delete
  4. I remember Uncle Fester, but did not know anything about Jackie Coogan. Yes, it does sound like his story would make a good movie. Maybe you could try writing a script? We do not change the clocks here in Queensland, which seems to be unusual these days. But of course we need to know when it happens, in order to work out when to contact our children in various states and countries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a script. As I said in my reply to Adullamite above, I think my son could do it!
      And it is just as you say, I need to know the time change in England because of my father-in-law in EAstbourne!

      Delete
  5. He was such a cute little kid. And he was a riot as Uncle Fester in the Addams Family (not The Munsters, I'm afraid)! Yes, his life story would make a great biopic, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra!! My next post will be about the character of Han Solo in STAR TREK!! (LOL!!) Of course, I better be careful, don't want any Star Trek/Star Wars fans in a war over words, they can get fighting crazy, don't you know!
      And I always did get those two shows mixed up, I never change.

      Delete
  6. Jackie Coogan's story is a good one to know. Most people believe that the Coogan Law covers all children in the entertainment business. Not true. It only covers California. And there are ways around that. The parents are allowed to use the child's earnings to make living arrangements suitable for the child. That includes a home and furnishings, food, entertainment, etc. Clothing for the whole family is warranted so as not to embarrass the entertainer. I could go on. Even Shirley Temple's father wasted a lot of her money but she forgave him. Macaulay Culkins parents fought over custody of him mostly because of his earning power. There are so many sad stories. Coogan's story should be told in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I wonder if you have ever heard of Paul Petersen? He was a child actor, I remember him from The Donna Reed Show and also, in one of my favorite films, "Houseboat" with Clark Gable and Sophia Loren. Anyway, he started an organization called "A Minor Consideration" which supports child stars through legislation and counseling. He started it after a fellow child actor committed suicide. (It was Rusty Hamer, if you remember from "The DAnny Thomas Show".) I truly think it must be terrible to find out that your parents have spent all your earnings and left you with very little. Even if the children have been treated fairly in terms of their earnings, I still feel sorry for them. You only have one childhood.

      Delete
    2. I am a member of A Minor Consideration.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I am glad to know that! I like people who find ways to help others. Are you or someone in your family a child film star? Just wondering! You know I am not but you see my great interest in movies.

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant idea for a movie. I had no idea that he was a glider pilot. What a frightening job. I definitely think you should make a documentary about him in addition to the movie. If you send me your Academy Awards, I promise to take good care of them for you (I'm the cat who denies eating the canary while I have a yellow feather stuck in my teeth).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did more research on the glider pilots in WW2. Yikes, that was dangerous! And hardly anyone knows they were used. All the more reason to do film on Jackie Coogan! Still waiting to win trophy of any kind, although I did win a bag of chocolates for finding the most Easter eggs when I was 7. Uh, that was a while ago! 😁

      Delete
    2. It was incredibly dangerous to be a glider pilot. When I was a reporter, I interviewed a former glider pilot. He had to land in Belgium during The Battle of the Bulge. He started to cry after we had talked for a little while. I don't think he spoke about it often. It was a very moving experience to interview him.

      Delete
    3. Oh that brings tears to my eyes that he cried while you were interviewing him. I think I have mentioned before how I liked to speak with the WW2 vets as they were making their travel plans for their army reunions. This would have been the 1980s and 1990s. They were hesitant at first but when they saw my genuine interest, many of them spoke openly and honestly. Well, as much as they could anyway. My admiration and respect for them for them is just...hard to put into words. Thanks very much for your comment, Janie.

      Delete
  8. I remember the Addams Family. Good bio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that theme song too! Thanks, this post was written in a rush, still had much left to do that day so glad it made some sense!

      Delete
  9. Hawaii doesn't change to daylight savings so I always have to remember what the time difference is between Illinois and Maryland. There's a 6 hour difference with Maryland which sometimes gets me in trouble with our son when I forget. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is talk of Georgia keeping their time the same, just as Hawaii does. I am in favor of that idea! Time changes messes me up! Lovely to see your masked face here,Kay! Stay safe!!

      Delete