Monday, September 7, 2020

The Shadows (Happy Birthday, Richard!)

 






Do you play the guitar? If so, you will most certainly know "The Shadows"! They were the backing band for Cliff Richard from 1958 until 1968 and they have performing since that time on their own! (Cliff Richard? Very well known in the UK.  In the USA, you might remember his biggest hit, "Devil Woman" from 1976.)

I found the above video celebrating the 60th anniversary of the song "Apache", one of their biggest hits. I enjoyed this video so much, I wanted to share it with you!  The photo of the Shadows guitar songbook belongs to Richard and is in pristine condition! It is not for sale, I am just always amazed at how well Richard takes care of his things! (It is from 1964.  I saw a similar one displayed at a museum in London!)

From my post title, you can see that it is Richard's birthday! Isn't he clever to arrange it on a holiday? (Labor Day today in the USA.)
Not only that but our weather is gorgeous just now! Amazing! We have some kind of dry air that came from somewhere, we hardly ever have it, it means that the temp feels just as it says it is, rather than 10 degrees more! (Out in Colorado, I am feeling for my friend, Louise and my sister, Pam...their temps were in the 90's yesterday and for tonight, they say the temp will go down in the 20's. A 70 degree drop...I can't believe it!)

So...Richard's birthday. I hope that you all enjoy the photos on my blog, I am able to use many of his great shots! We are planning on a long hike today.  That is what we love to do!  In the evening, I think that he will be playing the guitar! There is a song that he plays...it is "Romance", I really love it.  I am hopeful that I can get him to play it one day and I could have it here for you. In the meantime, I found someone else playing it for you...it is really lovely. (As good she is, Richard's is even better, honest it is.)

Hope you all have a lovely day too!  Take care, my friends.




Look!  Here is a photo that I was thinking about...it is from 2010.  It is on the seafront from Eastbourne!
Happy Birthday, Richard! (This is ONE photo that was taken by me!)




 

26 comments:

  1. Great picture of your husband and the musician. I do not recall Cliff Richard. I blame it on being married with children, when I can't recall music. LOL. Blessings to you sweet girl, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean!
      Blessings to you my sweet friend! Take care! xx

      Delete
  2. How cool is that!! I so love it when older people still "got it" and can show the young ones a thing or two :-D
    Happy hiking, dear Kay - and I hope you were serenaded with "Romance" in the evening! You sure deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meike!
      I showed this same video to our son when he visited and he loved it too! One day, I will convince Richard to play his guitar and I will have it here for you. One day!!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday, Richard! Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, birthday wishes from Hawaii. That is great! THank you!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to your Richard ! and Happy Labor Day. Hope you enjoy your sunny day. We have rain here and lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely day, not too hot and dry air rather than high humidity.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Richard. Apache is a great instrumental. You can almost see them riding along the Plains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes for Richard! It is a great song, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I loved the videos and the wonderful photo you took of your son and hubby. So cute! Happy Birthday Richard! I don't play guitar but my #3 son does and #1 son plays drums and just started learning the guitar from his brother. My Granddaughter also plays guitar. They did not get their talent from me! I'm glad your day is pleasant and I also was amazed at Colorado's snow and cold so soon in the season. We have a rainy day but we need it! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't play a musical instrument either but I love music! Thanks very much for your birthday wishes!!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday to Richard! I remember Cliff Richard - I loved his song "Dreamin'", and his recordings of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" and "Little Town" (of Bethlehem).

    Hope you both enjoyed your hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you! I looked up both songs by him and you are absolutely correct, they are very good indeed!
      We had marvelous hikes on all 4 days that we had off from work!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to Richard, although I realize the celebrations are probably over and I hope you had a great hike together today. We had heavy rain nearly all day, but it was very much needed so I am happy about that, though perhaps not so happy about the early morning hail stones which woke me up. Again lovely music videos. I don't think I knew the name The Shadows, but I recognized their music. And enjoyed the classical guitar at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the classical music, Richard does it even better, I promise he does!
      We had great weather here in Georgia, September is usually just like July.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Aye, I will pass along your good wishes from Scotland. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to Richard...I hope he had a very happy birthday and didn't labour over it! :)

    It's a while since I've heard any music of The Shadows. Thanks for stirring up some memories.

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he didn't LABOUR over it! HA HA!
      Glad to rekindle musical memories. Take care, Lee!

      Delete
  11. Sorry i am late, please wish him many happy returns of the day from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mimi! I will give him your best wishes!!
      Take care!

      Delete
  12. Just two words: Summer Holiday
    (doo doody-oo doo doo wah...)
    It was the summer of 1964 that my cousin Linda brought her record player and the soundtrack to Summer Holiday to the cottage, and we spent weeks playing it over and over.
    I LOVED it, and still remember every note of every song.

    Don't remember that deathless movie? Cliff Richard and the Shadows refurbish a London Bus to take on a holiday through Europe. Of course they meet four girls whose car breaks down....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Guess what, I just watched that film with my husband! You're not kidding, it was pretty dated but I do like that Summer Holiday song though!

      Delete
  13. Happy extremely belated birthday to Richard!
    When I was in college, an international student came to our apartment and played Romance. I have loved it ever since. Please convince Richard to play it for us. You have such a musical family, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes for Richard! AND I will encourage him to play "Romance" on the guitar and will tell him that we have a friend in Hawaii who wants to hear it!
      Say hey to Art and to your lovely Mom! xx

      Delete