Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Otis Redding

 Thanks very much for the birthday wishes for my husband on my last post!  Today (Sept. 9th) would have been the birthday of a fellow Georgian, Otis Redding.  Sadly, he passed away in a plane crash at the age of 26 on Dec. 10, 1967.  "Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay" was recorded just days before his death.  Written by Otis Redding and Steve Cropper, it was the first posthumous single to reach the top of the charts in the USA.  So, not only did Otis Redding have that incredible voice, he also was a songwriter! (You might first think of the great vocal from the amazing Aretha Franklin when you hear the song "Respect" but it is Otis Redding who wrote it!)  


"These Arms of Mine" is the video I have for you.  Amazing song written and sung by the one and only Otis Redding. This was written in 1962. Once at the sunflower festival that I liked to attend with my Dad,  a band did a cover version of this song.  Everyone was loud and chatting away but when this song began, they all went quiet and listened intently to the music and the words. Hope you like it too.




Otis Redding   Click on his name and that will take you to the official Otis Redding website.  Well worth a read, I promise you.  I have told you before, I admire songwriters very much but I like nice guys even better!

14 comments:

  1. Truly a wonderful voice and, by all accounts, a wonderful man. Some people achieve in a short 26 years more than most will ever manage in 80 (myself included).
    "Respect" is one of my favourite songs - I guessed Aretha Franklin had not written it herself, but I didn't know it was Otis Redding.

    By the way, I have only now realised that your previous post was actually Richard's birthday post - silly me! So sorry to have not read and interpreted the title properly. Belated Happy Birthday wishes to Richard, all the way from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes for Richard from Germany! I think we should celebrate our birth MONTH rather than just the day anyway!
      Now, I might have asked you this before but I hope you have seen the film "The Blues Brothers"! Of course, Aretha is in that and she sings "Respect"! Also, Steve Cropper is in it..."Play it, Steve". It is SO funny! I think I know the movie by heart! :-)

      Delete
    2. I have never seen the movie but of course I have heard about it.
      Oh yes, I'm all for celebrating one's birthday MONTH - or at least the full week (like I almost did for my 50th birthday).

      Delete
    3. Now Meike, you MUST see that film! And I do hope you will think it is as funny as I do! (Frank Oz has a cameo in it and also Steven Spielberg among many others!) And the music is fantastic!
      Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, he was a big talent who died much, much too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think of what else he could have done! Oh well, I am grateful for his music and his legacy.

      Delete
  3. It seems strange that many talented singers die young!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't you just picture him sitting on the dock? It is a great feel good song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems strange to see the pictures of San Francisco Bay this morning on the news, it looked more like something from Mars, the red was from all the horrible wildfires they are having just now. I am praying for them all.

      Delete
  5. He was truly unique and gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Otis Redding's music was such an important and special part of my young years. It was a tragedy when he died. A terrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, a terrible tragedy. Steve Cropper spoke to a group of young people in a video and told of his friendship with Otis Redding and the making of "Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay.". Very special to hear.

      Delete