Sunday, September 13, 2020

Heat Wave/Cold As Ice

 



Ice cubes! We might be the only ones who still use ice cube trays. When I was a kid, the ones that we had were the metal kind. Remember? You pulled up on a lever and bits of ice would fly all over the place? (Maybe I was just too little and didn't know how to do it but that is my memory.) Somewhere along the way, these plastic kind came out and those were much easier to use.  Guess what I just learned?  You know I am always fascinated to learn the history behind inventions. (Even ice trays, you are thinking? Yes, even that!) I hope you remember the singer, Linda Ronstadt? Well, it was her grandfather who came up with using plastic for ice cubes trays! It is called the flexible ice cube tray and his name was Lloyd Groff Copeman. He had over 700 patents to his name! You may read more about him just here! He noticed that he went on a walk on a wintry day and the ice just fell off of his rubber boots...that was the idea behind his invention!

So, you see...you don't have come up with something brand new, just something that is out there and can be improved upon. ( Now, I do know that the majority of people use the ice makers that come in their fridges but ours stopped working years ago!) Now, let's just talk a bit about color, shall we?  For years, I used plain white ice cube trays.  They were perfectly adequate but when I saw that bright red and the bright (what color would you say...teal, dark turquoise?) I knew I had to have them both! Those two colors together just make my heart sing! (I truly do have a thing about color.  By the way, the cherry tomatoes and banana peppers that you see on the counter behind the ice cube trays are also very colourful (there, don't underline it and tell me I am wrong, the Brits spell it that way!) That bright red and light green together...I do so wish I could paint them! (Of course, I would then eat them! So wonderful when you grow them yourself!)

What song? A Linda Ronstadt one, of course! HEAT WAVE!

That's a good one to think about when you are talking ice cubes, right? Take care everyone and remember to appreciate all the little things in life!



Oh okay, you know you want one more...COLD AS ICE!



29 comments:

  1. That was a fun post, Kay, AND I learned something new! Of course I had no idea what a great inventor Linda Ronstad's grandfather was.
    Nobody over here (at least nobody I know) has an in-built icemaker in their fridge. We simply use various things to make ice cubes, last but not least a special plastic bag came out: it is - a bit like a quilted duvet - divided into small pockets, and when you fill it with water, the water neatly flows into each pocket. Once frozen, each pocket is one ice "blob" (not really a cube, but not exactly a ball, either). But as we should all use less throwaway plastic items, I am not buying these anymore, just using up the ones I still have.
    Your colourful ice trays are great! No wonder you had to have both of them. Also, the peppers and tomatoes are a superb match - colour-wise and probably also in terms of taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying this is a fun post! I like the sound of your ice cube duvets! Now you will have to find out who invented those! Our peppers and tomatoes are so good! The cukes are over now. I miss them!

      Delete
  2. I still use the plastic ice cube trays here and have to crack my own. I would love an ice maker, but have an old fashioned fridge. It's cooling down here in Ohio. The week ahead is to be in the 70's and 60's. No heat wave here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are about to get rain from that hurricane, Sally. 4 to 8 inches is possible, hope they're wring!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I remember those metal ice cube trays. They were terrible. I still use plastic ice cube trays (blue ones). My fridge is new but doesn't have a water dispenser or ice maker function, which is fine by me, because those are always the first things to break on the appliance. Cool trivia about LR's grandfather, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, Cool thing also...haha ice cubes...her grandfather was from Canada! 🇨🇦

      Delete
  4. You write my little blog of knowledge! Linda Ronstadt had such a great voice. I miss hearing her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nothing is trivial to me, I know most people disagree with that. At least we have Linda's voice on record. It is sad about her health.

      Delete
  5. Kay, Two great songs. :) I like those plastic trays. We have a ice maker, I hate that dang thing. I always hear it dumping the ice in the middle of the night. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours did that when it worked for a few years! Scared me when it dumped the ice, I am as jumpy as a cat anyway, I need no loud noises around me!

      Delete
  6. I use ice cube trays! Yes, my fridge does have an ice maker but we never connected it since we have hard water and I figured it would eventually not work. So I have red, white, and blue ones that I love and they are plastic of course. Thanks for the info on them..very interesting and it might make me seem smart when I tell about it next time I have to fill them! I do remember the metal ones...your fingers would stick to them! Ha! (I bet tongues would too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love your red, white and blue ice cube trays! You know I would! I point out color combinations all the time to people, they look at me like I'm crazy. I am crazy, about color!

      Delete
  7. You can still get the old kind with the levers, if you want one for old time's sake. Just look online.

    Yes, they spewed bits of ice everywhere for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have never had an ice maker, and only have those boring white trays. Now I want want you have! On the lookout for the red and turquoise, as of now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You love art so much it warms my heart that you like my colorful ice cube trays! Take care and keep an eye out for colour! Spelled it your way!!😀

      Delete
  9. We don't want an ice maker with our fridge, but I do like the plastic ice cube makers. They are a big improvement on the metal one! And I love the colors of your peppers...And also, I love knowing that Linda Ronstadt's grandfather was such a prolific inventor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it makes me glad that you also loved to learn that this famous singer had an inventor for a grandfather! And you must understand my love for color also, you have the same thing I think! :-)

      Delete
  10. I am not sure that my new fridge even has an ice maker! it's a German one so I guess Germans use icecube trays too when they get the desire for icecubes! Many people here buy bags of ice in cubes and use them instead. I like those colourful silicone plastic kitchenware items too. Your red and turquoise look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny Woolf! So lovely to see your kitty cat comment here!
      How are you doing? Hope you are well!
      Happy to share my ice cube colors with my friends, I am so generous! :-)

      Delete
  11. Yep! I certainly do remember the metal ice cube trays. I'm so old I remember everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes! I remember all those ice trays. We had an icemaker so we didn't need the trays anymore. But of course, the ice maker is broken so we're back to the trays again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who first invented the icemaker that comes in the fridge? No one wants to claim that ancestor!☺

      Delete
  13. Brought back a few memories I'd forgotten and also facts I did not know. I do dimly remember metal ice cube trays but not until prompted by this post, and yes they never popped out into a glass without going all over the floor as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob! Leave it to me to remind you of a childhood memory you'd just as soon forget! Hope are doing well in bonny Scotland! 😃

      Delete
  14. You have given me a good idea, I use little ice and will use even less in cooler weather. I'm going to remove the large ice container from the freezer and get a couple of colorful ice trays, it will give more space for food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy whatever colors you choose! Guess what, when my icemaker stopped working donkeys years ago...donkeys years, that's what my English mother in law used to say...anyway, I used the very large tray that used to catch the ice cubes to now hold frozen food. I can cram quite a few frozen bags and containers of food in it!

      Delete