Saturday, November 23, 2019

Eastbourne Hotel Fire

Recently, I wrote a post about the Langham Hotel in Eastbourne, England.  I told you that all of the hotels in Eastbourne were built across the street from the beach so that they all have lovely sea views. What I didn't tell you is that they were built in the Victorian era and are absolutely stunning.  Grand Parade it is called and grand it certainly is!  One of them caught fire yesterday and I am so terribly sad about the loss of it. Built between 1851 and 1855,  it is the Claremont Hotel but it was originally the Burlington Hotel, and that is the name that I remember it by.  How lovely it was! That gleaming white building with the sun shining upon it and the lovely Carpet Gardens in front and the pier just steps away! (The Carpet Gardens are what they call the flower beds pictured above, the flowers are changed out for the season and they also are stunning in their beauty.)  I have a photo of the hotel above, it is the big white one at the right with the black wrought iron balconies. (I assume they are wrought iron, I can only go by my American eyes.)

From what I have read about it, no one died in the fire but I think there might be some injuries.  It is truly a miracle that no one was killed. Let's all take a moment to remember the brave firefighters!
I saw a photo of them on the BBC and they were shown on the beach getting sea water to quench the flames!
Back in 2014, the magnificent pier in Eastbourne caught fire.  One of the steel structures on the pier was lost but the wooden pier was saved.  Thank God for firefighters!

Above is a photo of the steel building on the pier that was burned. Can you believe that they were able to save a wooden pier with such a fire that completely melted that steel?
You can see the size of the steel structure that I am speaking of in the above photo, it is to the far left of the picture.
(By the way, Richard took this photo and I think it is lovely. Even on a grey day, Richard can capture beauty.)

I have spoken of my love for natural beauty but I have also expressed my love for beautiful architecture. I mourn the loss of this building.





You may read about the fire just here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My friends, I have been visiting Eastbourne since the 80's. So, here is a huge hit song from 1985.
After all, everyone wants to rule the world, right?












35 comments:

  1. That's the problem with Victorian-era hotels. No matter how glamorous they look, the old wiring and old wood make them firetraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Victorians sure knew how to build though...did you see the TV series about Victoria and Albert? I think it was called Victoria but it really should have been named both of them, he was a genius, I think.

      Delete
  2. It is sad when a landmark is destroyed. Another piece of history only a memory. Of course I have to comment on the song. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! So glad you like the song too...ah, the 80's, I recall them with a great fondness.

      Delete
  3. How sad to have a Victorian era hotel destroyed by fire. I hope they don't dare replace it with something that has a modern design. You know, steel and concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I very much dislike most modern buildings but not all of them but they MUST be in similar buildings around them to fit in!

      Delete
  4. I saw news of the fire and thought of you, I hoped it wasn't somewhere you knew.if it is in a conservation area the replacement will be in keeping with the other buildings nearby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brits are so good at looking at things in a historical context and trying to keep it closely with nearby buildings. In my area, if you buy a building, anything goes!

      Delete
  5. Your blog is the first time I hear of that fire. So glad to know nobody died, and yes indeed, we can all be grateful for firefighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those who go directly into danger in order to save lives...they are the real heroes of the world.

      Delete
  6. Oh how sad to see that elegant hotel lost to a fire. Eastbourne looks beautiful along its foreshore, with the pretty garden along the front. The Pier is also lovely, and so sad that it too suffered a fire. The English holiday cities are beautiful with their Victorian facades. We have not seen Eastbourne but did visit a couple of others in our trips to the UK,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Victorian town is really pretty. There have been several movies filmed there and I think tourism is a big part of their economy. The pier is gorgeous, I am so thankful that it was saved.

      Delete
  7. I didn't see the fire on the national news. It will be a scar on the seafront if it's not restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep a close eye on Eastbourne. Not just because I love it but because my father in law lives there. He had the smoke in his back garden but he didn't know what caused it until later.

      Delete
  8. It's sad that the hotel burned down. I hope they can rebuild it someday with the same architectural design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so very sorry to hear this. It was such a beautiful hotel. When we were over in 1992, we stayed in a hotel in Arundel that later burned down. It was like a rabbit warren with little winding halls. I don't believe anyone was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did a check online, and here is the info: https://www.totalfiregroup.org/white-swan-arundel-fined-25000-serious-breaches-fire-safety-regulations/

    New people own it now, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up!It said that they had fire alarms but they were on SILENT! Richard and I stayed in a small inn in Franklin, NC once and I looked it up recently. I was shocked to learn that it had burned down and two people died. It was Poor Richard's Summit Inn.
      Richard and I went to Arundel just once, to see a bird sanctuary there. It was lovely, the castle was on the hill just behind us.

      Delete
  11. From what I saw the front of the building might be saved, the inside was hutted.
    It may b possible to rebuild keeping the front as it was and renewing the interior.
    This happens all the time, only safety concerns have to be looked at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also know that it can be built to the same kind of "look", if you will. Richard and I really loved many of the churches in London that were re built after the bombing of WW2. St. Bride's, I am remembering, was one of my favorites.

      Delete
  12. Such a sad thing to have happened, though a blessing no one was killed. I remember when you first blogged about the pier fire. So sorry, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thankful that the pier was saved. Had it completely burned up, like the one in Brighton, I would have been very, very sad. (And Brighton had TWO piers, so I am sure they were thankful they still had that second one!)

      Delete
  13. So much lost in that fire that cannot be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least no one died and that is the most important thing.

      Delete
  14. My heart aches when i think of fire, it is truly an enemy when it is out of control.

    Our firefighters are precious to us, the ones near our neighborhood are getting a special Thanksgiving dinner from the residents this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat is GREAT! WE need to be very, very grateful to our firefighters!

      Delete
  15. So sad..such beauty gone but thankfully nobody was killed. Firefighters deserve the pay of professional sports figures don't you think? Perhaps they will rebuild but history can't be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that our firefighters should be given the recognition they deserve, by money and by our great respect!

      Delete
  16. Like the song. Solid heavy timber is really hard to burn, just stick a large log in a fire without embers and try to get it alight. So much so that they are thinking of building 40 floors high skyscrapers in London, just made of treated wood. Whether it will actually happen is another story, given recent events but it is more inflammable than many other materials you might think would be more resistant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting! I just looked this up and found this....
      https://www.cnn.com/style/article/wooden-skyscrapers-timber-trend-catching-fire-duplicate-2/index.html

      Delete
  17. I love that I get a history lesson when I come here. I see you have been spammed above. Just make sure you click them thru as spam so they can't leave comments on your blog anymore.

    Amazing they were able to save that wooden wharf!!! Have a wonderful weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a problem with spam. Clicking on spam doesn't seem to do anything, other than saying I have reported it as spam. I keep getting that same spammy guy!
      You would love the Victorian pier...it is indeed beautiful!

      Delete
  18. How sad to learn that the hotel burned. At least no one died. I am fascinated by all the English seaside playgrounds, especially by the contrast between architecture and carnival! I'm sorry that I'm catching up again. I've had a jam-packed run of weeks! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Notwithstanding the fires, I enjoyed the shots of Eastbourne. Often nicknamed one of God's waiting rooms, it's a lovely place - haven't been there for years!

    ReplyDelete