Thursday, November 14, 2019

Nonfiction November



November is moving along just as quickly as October did! Besides having a few health problems, now our computer looks as if it might "pack it in".  That is what the Brits say! (Or my Brit does anyway.)  

Do any of you have an Instagram account? I have one but I don't do very much on it.  (I am lucky to be able to get to my blog these days.)  One thing that I wish that I could do on there is something called "Nonfiction November".  For one day of this month, you were asked to have a "shelfie", showing your shelf full of nonfiction books. Another day, you were asked to show your "must-read". Wish I had time to do this!  I think I might have mentioned to you that I don't like to read fiction very often. I am the QUEEN of nonfiction! And please, don't tell me that about a nonfiction book that reads like fiction! No, no, no! A well written book reads like a well written book, thank you very much!  I love books written by journalists...they have a very straightforward style of writing that I find very appealing.  Remember when I told you about re-reading "The Nearest Faraway Place", about the Beach Boys? The author was Timothy White, a rock music journalist.  I also read the book "Murder In Coweta County" by Margaret Anne Barnes. (Another journalist!) This book is based on a true story set in the late 1940's in rural Georgia.  It was made into a TV movie in the 1970's with Johnny Cash and Andy Griffith.  June Carter Cash (Johnny's wife) was also in the film and her performance was truly astounding to me!  I will really have to do a post just on that book alone when I have more time and energy to write about it properly.

So many books on nonfiction that I can tell you about! And besides my nonfiction books, I also prefer films that are based on true stories.  It's all nonfiction for me!  Do YOU have a favorite book that is non fiction? Do tell me!

Remember when I told you about the lakes being drained at Panola Mountain State Park? It has now been re opened. The lakes are not as they were and the dam is ...well, it is functional but not very beautiful.  Those small trees that I have in the photo above? They are gone now and lots more were cut down also. Can't really see why it was necessary for so many to be removed. I do mourn the loss of trees.   I miss the lakes...I suppose now, it is considered a wetland area rather than a lake.  At least, we did see the great egret again when we were there...

Wish I could show y'all our photos when we walked this past weekend at the trail at Panola Mountain State Park The hickory trees were golden in the sunshine! Why can't I show you the photos? This dang computer won't let me! What time is it?
Time to get a new computer!

Recently, I listened to a CD with all kinds of songs that my son had made for me years ago. He titled it "Crooners".  One of the songs is "Duke of Earl".    Enjoy.


21 comments:

  1. "Packing it in" is what I would say, too; you know my English is mainly British (and very much Yorkshire-coloured).
    I'll have to think about what to do about my computer soon, too; the support for WIN7 is running out in January, and I fear that by switching to WIN10, I might not be able to run my favourite game anymore - its oldes parts are from 2004... Also, my monitor is playing up every now and then. We'll see! Maybe I'll use this year's bonus to buy me a brand new set for next year's birthday.

    As for fiction v. non-fiction, you know how much I need the one to counter-balance the other. Right now, I am reading a biography about Leonardo Da Vinci. It is very well written and paints a fascinating picture of the man and his time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I have read a lot of books of fiction in my life also! It is just that for the past, oh about 30 years, I only like to read non fiction books and I was happy to see the thing on Instagram with nonfiction books highlighted for this month. Biographies! I love them.

      Delete
  2. This year is flying by...more quickly than any other, I feel.

    I hope you're feeling a better very soon, Kay.

    And, no...I do not have an Instagram account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee, I am much better now.
      My son set me up on that Instagram account several years ago, but I have just started to use it more, be more active on there...I don't even know the proper language to use! If you notice, I told you about Nonfiction November but have I put anything on there about it? NO! :-)

      Delete
  3. I guess you should buy a new computer. As for non-fiction books, I used to enjoy books about near death experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I used to read books about true crime but I read one that was so heartbreaking, I never read another one.

      Delete
  4. I'm never for cutting down trees. Those ones were beautiful. I like non fiction but to relax I always end up with fiction. I haven't yet worked out why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I read fiction but it has to be very, very well written, with characters that I care about. I understand that people like to lose themselves in a book and that can be relaxing. For me, that means a book of non fiction! I will have to go back and take another photo from the same spot so you can see what it looks like now.

      Delete
  5. I do love fiction and stories with happy endings. I don't really read much non fiction at all but I used to be more disaplined and read both as much as the other. I've learned a lot that I'd never know if it hadn't been for reading books. I love them all! I do not do instagram either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like books on history and also, biographies. Here is a book that I know you would like..."Angels Without Wings" by Jane Vonnegut Yarmolinsky. It is a true story and one that is inspirational, I think.

      Delete
  6. I read a book once. It had a green cover. I really must get around to reading another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, Graham, you are too funny!
      You know, you have reminded me. "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover" but you can always appreciate a beautiful cover on a book. I always do.

      Delete
  7. I love the Duke of Earl. It is such a great song. I like fiction books but I also like non-fiction. Sometimes it depends on my mood. I am especially fond of biographies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great song! I try to read fiction but I just can't. There are so many things that I want to study and learn about, just not enough time for everything!

      Delete
  8. Have you not been well? I can't get to blogs as often as I'd like, but I do hope all is well. I read a mixture of fiction and non-fiction and thought everybody did! I can of course recommend a fabulous non-fiction book about Britain's history - and a wonderful cure it is for insomnia! I haven't heard 'Duke of Earl' for ages - think I'll dig out my '50s CDs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not 100% as my husband would say and that also means not 100% for my brain either. I was going to ask you what book on Britain's history and then "the penny dropped", as you Brits say, and I bet you mean "A Bit About Britain's History" by Mike Biles!
      I need to order it for my father-in-law for Christmas! Won't he be pleased when I tell him you are one of my blogging friends! Notice I gave you a video that showed the lyrics, I hope you sang along.

      Delete
  9. I don't read that much non-fiction but I do read biographies, garden books, art books, and cookbooks and they are non-fiction. And I read the occasional political book but they are more upsetting that satisfying to read. I am so sorry to read about the changes to Panola Mountain State Park. I hope you are able to upload the photos you wanted to! Thank you for The Duke of Earl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non fiction has quite a few sub categories...and whatever book I read, it must be well written! A book on politics? That sounds like a punishment to me! :-)
      Hopefully, trees will come back. Nature finds a way!

      Delete
  10. Non-fiction is the best, and sometimes a computer just gives it up and you have to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that computers don't last that long but you are talking to someone that thinks that ALL things should last forever. Still using my electric hair curlers from 1984. Not kidding!

      Delete
  11. I usually read fiction, but not nearly as much as I'd like. At work I proofread engineering reports, so that's plenty of non-fiction reading for me, LOL. I always excuse my "fluff" reading with needing to balance out the engineering reports.

    ReplyDelete