Friday, March 1, 2019

Ever Been Stuck In A Lift?




Have you ever been stuck in an elevator? I have! Since this happened in England, I have to tell you that I was trapped in a "lift" since that is what it is called there! I was the only American with five other women, all of them English. There was a phone in the lift...but it didn't work. So...when I suggested that we yell for help, the others said, "Oh no, we can just wait. Help will come.".
"The heck with that" is what I wanted to say...what I did say was, "Well, I am going to yell anyway!"  So, I did and not too long after that...we heard the lift beginning to move. Maybe this help would have come to us anyway, but I didn't want to take any chances! What would you have done?

I just read a story on the BBC about the artist, David Hockney who was trapped in a lift with the editor of the Daily Mail (a British newspaper) and a journalist from the BBC.  That almost sounds like the beginning of a joke but this really happened this past week in Amsterdam. (All of them were there due to the exhibition at the Van Gogh Museum which opened today:  "Hockney-Van Gogh: The Joy of Nature".) David Hockney is now 81 years old and was only trapped for about 30 minutes until he and the others were rescued by firefighters.  Thirty minutes might not seem that long but minutes go by slowly when you are trapped and don't know when you will be rescued! After he was released, he asked for a cigarette and ...wait for it...Yorkshire tea!  


David Hockney is from Yorkshire, England! Now, I have to tell you, I have never been to Yorkshire but I dearly love Yorkshire tea!



Here is a quote from David Hockney...

"I've always found the world quite beautiful, looking at it, just looking. And that's an important thing I share with Vincent Van Gogh. We both really, really enjoy looking at the world." 

By the way, there is a painting by David Hockney that is called "Mr and Mrs. Clark and Percy".  It is extraordinary to me since the Mr. Clark in the painting looks so very much like my husband, Richard from the 1970's with his long hair.  His head is even tilted in the same way like Richard! Look up the painting and I think you will see what I mean.  Our son bought a fridge magnet of this painting and gave it to his Dad, since he sees this strong resemblance too. (Thanks, son. You have your father's artistic eye with your mother's frugal ways!)

18 comments:

  1. I've been in elevators that have jerked and dropped a little bit before resuming, but never in one that stopped completely until help came. I hope never to be be in that situation! I would yell too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told later that the reason that aid came to us was because I was heard saying "Help! We're stuck in an elevator!". Wonder how long it would have taken before anyone noticed the lift wasn't working? I didn't want to wait to see! :-)

      Delete
  2. First off I have to tell you those pansies that are at the top of your post are amazing! What a delight to see. No, thankfully, I've never been stuck on an elevator. I'd probably yell too ! I'm thinking those ladies had previous experience, if they remained calm through it all. What a blessing you've had being able to travel to England.
    Love and Hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brits remain fairly calm no matter what! At least from my experience anyway. I have spent a good bit of time in England, just a small corner of it anyway. I am grateful. And glad you like the pansies too! They will survive the winter here but in late winter, they really come to life and I love their faces. x

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny how different people react to situations? I would probably sit down and go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not have had room to sleep in this lift, it was pretty little! I didn't panic or anything, just didn't want to stand around waiting for help. I am sure we would have been noticed eventually but man, I am telling you, a lift gets really small when it is not moving.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kay - I won't get in a lift if it's full of people ... and I don't think I'd be too happy - but probably would remain relatively calm. I know poor old Hockney - he's an amazing man ... incredibly talented and forward thinking ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness me, Hilary, you KNOW David Hockney! That's wonderful! Did you read about this, about him being trapped on the elevator? I think I read that they were able to get a seat for him in the lift, after all he is 81! AND he has good taste, to love his Yorkshire tea!

      Delete
  5. LOL, Kay- I would have yelled, too. I have never been stuck in a lift but have always been afraid of that happening when I had to go to the bathroom really bad. LOL
    Glad Hockney only had to wait 30 minutes. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to take the stairs as much as I can, although getting older, that is not as easy as it used to be! Oh, and I hope this never happens to me now at my age, I might be taking a flower vase with me on elevators from now on...and that vase won't be for flowers! LOL!

      Delete
  6. I've never been stuck in a stopped elevator. I would not panic, but I would certainly call loudly for help. Don't most elevators have a button to push if this happens, if they stop working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I didn't panic, I have been around Brits long enough not to do that but I wanted my presence to be known! :-)
      Let's see, this would have happened in 1985, I think and there is no telling how old that lift was...so no button to push that I knew about. When it did began working, the lift only came partly to the floor and we had to step down from the lift, and it was quite a drop. Good thing I was young at the time.

      Delete
  7. And those pansies are beautiful in your header. They make me remember Beth from Little Women making slippers for MR. Laurence and that pansies stand for "heart's ease".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart's ease, that is a nice thought. Thank you! I love pansies and their dear little faces!

      Delete
  8. I'd have yelled, too, Kay! I spent a few minutes looking at some of David Hockney's paintings. I love his use of color! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to introduce you to another artist! And I will share a elevator with you anytime, Louise! xx

      Delete
  9. Apparently it also stands for "thoughts" from the French "pensee".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je pense que tu as raison. (I think you are right.)
      At least I hope that's right, I took French in high school, and sometimes I can watch French films and I understand them as long as they don't speak too fast! LOL!

      Delete