Monday, October 29, 2018

Streets of London (Ralph McTell With Crisis Choir and Annie Lennox)



Ralph McTell, do you know him? If you play the guitar, it is most likely that you are familiar with him. He is an amazing guitarist but also a great singer and songwriter. ( I have mentioned him before.)
Now, I just found out that he had a single at Christmas of last year...it was a remake of one of his big hits, "Streets of London". 
(It was to mark the 50th anniversary of both the song and for "Crisis", the homeless charity.)  If you listen to the words of the song, you will know that it is about the homeless in the London...

"And how can you tell me that you're lonely and say for you that the sun don't shine.  Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London, I'll show you something to make you change your mind." 



Richard and I once visited a church in London, St James Piccadilly, and we observed quite a few men peacefully sleeping on the pews.  There was a sign at the front and Richard took a photo of it. I have it for you here and if you can't read it, it says, " Dear Guests, Please be aware that you may only sleep on this side of the church in the front 13 pews."

I hope you are able to see the video. I found it very moving. 





16 comments:

  1. It is touching that the church accommodates those who need a warm place to sleep. I would like to see more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look for the helpers, reminds me of Mr. Rogers.

      Delete
  2. I must have read your previous post about Ralp McTell but can not remember it; I have known the song since I was a little girl but never knew who wrote and/or sang it.
    Here in Germany, some churches provided (and still do provide) shelter for refugees who are in danger of being sent back to their countries of origin. I am sure there are also some who have regular sleeping guests out of the ranks of the homeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned that Ralph McTell is one of of Richard's favorites, he also grew up in Croydon, same place that Richard did. The church as a sanctuary and safe shelter, I think it should be so.

      Delete
  3. Working with the homeless is a blessing as much to me as to them. Every person has a unique story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful tribute to that church...truth be told though, there are always a few sleepers in our church most any Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that can sometimes happen.
      We were very pleased to see the men sleeping and so much at peace.

      Delete
  5. Kay, It's a beautiful church. I loved the sign. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful song which I remember from long ago, I think. But I'm really glad to hear it again. And the message from the church is very touching. In high school we were taught seven corporal and seven spiritual works of mercy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_of_mercy
    And though the world seems so crazy now, there are still many people and organizations which are always doing these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, the world does seem crazy right now.
      Mercy, a word that you don't hear much anymore. Thank you for reminding me of it. x

      Delete
  7. That is an incredibly moving music video. I love it.

    We must never forget our homeless...being homeless is not always the fault of the homeless. Oft times its out of the control of individual. For some, beyond their control, life can be harsh and heartless....

    I had tickets to go see The Eurythmics aka Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart back in 1986 when I was managing the resort on Hinchinbrook Island. Unfortunately, I couldn't leave the island at the time because of work commitments, so I gave the tickets to one of my staff as her birthday gift. She was over the moon. I told her all I asked in return was to hear she enjoyed the concert and had a ball...she did! So I was happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee, for watching the video. I thought it was well worth seeing. Life can be harsh and heartless, all the more reason we should try to help.
      How wonderful that you gave away those tickets since you couldn't go! I think Annie Lennox is great, I didn't say that but I hope it was implied. xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Kay - love this song ... am listening now ... and believe it or not I've yet to visit St James - usually on the bus on the way to Victoria and home ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the bus and on the way to Victoria and home...home being the lovely Meads area in Eastbourne? Bliss. xx

      Delete