Sunday, July 29, 2018

Will The Circle Be Unbroken (Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, Pops Staples, Carlene Anderson)









American/English.  I know I drive you all crazy but I promise that these kind of connections just fall into my lap.  My aunt in North Carolina likes to have videos on her Facebook page.  Recently, she had a song on there which was from a music show from England hosted by Jools Holland.   If you watch the video, you should know that Johnny Cash, June Carter and Pops Staples are no longer with us, but we can still enjoy their music!  (The show was from 1994.)

So...the show was from England and the song was "Will The Circle Be Unbroken".  Did you know that the lyrics to this song was written by a woman from England? Ada R. Habershon was born in Marylebone, England in 1861 and spent her childhood in Chelsea in London.  Her first hymns were written in German.  I just looked it up! Not that I know much German but I think I recognize it when I see it! "Vorbilder: Christus im alten Testament, 1899." (Just looked THIS up and it means, "Role Model: Christ In the Old Testament.)  

Now, the song "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" was re written by  A. P. Carter for a funeral and released in 1935 by the Carter Family. (June Carter Cash, a part of the famous Carter Family, of course.)  I wonder if the version by the Carter Family is the one that you are hearing in this video!   

I love the video so very much!  Each and every one of the singers here- just amazing! Johnny Cash, what a voice!  June Carter Cash, her voice is very good in this, and it makes it special to me to know that this song must have been a treasured family memory for her.
Pops Staples! His voice on this song is incredible!  Why, when I listened to this the first time, I had to keep re-winding it and keep listening to him. What joy!  "Clap ya hands, you'll feel better!"  
Love that! 
My friends, if you don't know Pops Staples- please read about him just here!

Carleen Anderson...goodness me, here comes that English connection again for me! She is American and is the step daughter of Bobby Byrd (who was born in my place of birth, Toccoa, Georgia.) but she now lives in England! She is very successful there but I just bet that if you are reading this in the USA, you might never have heard of her.  That is often the case, many of our artists are much more appreciated on the other side of the pond!

Okay now, at the very beginning of the video...the man on the piano is Jools Holland, who was also the host of this TV show.  Jools Holland was in the band "Squeeze". I hope you know that music from the 1980's!  (Cool For Cats, Up The Junction, Another Nail In My Heart.)




Hey  Y'all!  You know OWL always love you!  High in a pine tree, this is not the best photo but I almost fell over backwards taking it!  That is one big owl, isn't it?

32 comments:

  1. I love that hymn and now I will watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful rendition of that song! It brings great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you liked this video....love all the information...you shared very interesting....love and blessings

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mimi! Glad you liked it too!

      Thanks, Brenda! You left a comment as a reply to Mimi, but that's okay. Mimi is so sweet, I am sure she won't mind! LOL! I really did enjoy that video as I enjoy all the videos that you share and all that you link to. Happy to have you on my family tree! :-) (I am just the biggest NUT on it! Ha ha!)

      Delete
  3. Oh-I remember that hymn and have heard it many times. Just now going to listen to this version. Thanks for all the research and details you always give us. xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how it will often be somehow related to England for me! :-)

      Delete
  4. I always loved that song and my Daddy LOVED The Carter Family. I came to appreciate them myself over the years. Thanks for all this good information and the story and the video, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! The more I read about each and every person in this video, the more I wanted to tell you about them!

      Delete
  5. Johnny Cash loved being a part of the Carter family. I had not heard of this performance of Will The Circle Be Unbroken but I have heard many others. I'm a big fan of Johnny Cash. He had a really wicked sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and Johnny Cash is someone that I wish more country artists would emulate today!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kay -if that's an owl ... there must be a breed of 'elephant owl' he's enormous!! Loved Johnny Cash ... and Jools Holland has done so much for the music industry - introducing us to all sorts of acts etc ... great video clip - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That owl was huge! We think it was Great Horned Owl, the largest owl in North America, with a possible wing span of five feet! Yes, I think that most from England would know Jools HOlland but I don't think that many Americans would know him. Could be wrong. Hope you are doing well out west!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that sure is one big owl alright! Loved Johnny Cash, and June Carter Cash, know the words of all the songs. And loved the movie too with Reese Witherspoon. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will the Circle be Unbroken is a favorite of mine right up there with Amazing Grace. Love the picture of the Owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MA! We were tickled to see the owl, it really was very high in that pine tree!

      Delete
  9. I love owls and that's a great picture. How wonderful to see one and be able to get a shot at it
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it was a shot at with a camera and NOT a gun!
      Hope you are doing well just now, Janice, and I hope you get to your gorgeous beach soon with the pretty stones. xx

      Delete
  10. Owls don't exist here in Hawaii, so that photo was a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHO else would have a post with a giant owl? HA!

      Delete
  11. So many people, ideas, and music to ponder! Love that owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I drove myself crazy reading about all the talented people in this video! I knew them but I wanted to make sure I didn't write about them incorrectly!
      That owl was huge and quite a sight to see on a walk at Panola Mountain State Park.

      Delete
  12. Good post, Kay. I was a fan of Cash. I love the movie "I Walk the Line"....I've watched it a few times. I love country music...I love music...as you know! :)

    I wrote a further comment in response on your previous post...I think it might be of interest to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever send "Coal Miner's Daughter" with Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn? It is one of my very favorites! AND it was directed by a Brit, Michael Apted!

      Thanks for telling me, I will go to that post and read it! x

      Delete
    2. I certainly have seen "Coal Miner's Daughter", Kay...a number of times. It's a wonderful movie.

      I almost mentioned it somewhere yesterday...can't remember where at this moment time...but, coincidentally, I was thinking about Loretta Lynn and that movie about her life yesterday. :)

      Delete
  13. Crikey! That song takes me back to the early days of learning to play banjo. My stepdad has a prodigious collection of bluegrass vinyls from some obscure record club he used to subscribe to. I think there is a version on the "Grand Ole Opry" double album with Mother Maybelle (?) singing this. I must have driven everyone mad practising my thumb-in-and-out rolls to this. Certainly a blast from the past. I have seen Jools live twice too. We all had a good stomp in the mud at Glastonbury Abbey to a great set by him a few years ago. Absolutely brilliant performer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! So pleased to see your comment here!
      I am glad to know that you can play the banjo and have fond memories of this particular song. How lucky to have seen Jools Holland perform. Not only is he a great performer but he also appreciates others who are musically gifted with the evidence from this video that I shared here. Music...I just think it is the universal language.
      Thanks again for your comment. Crikey! That word reminds me of my English mother-in-law who died in March. I miss her.

      Delete
  14. I recall my youth when we sang this in the Baptist church during Sunday school assembly. I didn't understand it for several years and I didn't like it because I thought it was too sad about the hearse come rolling. When I was about 10, I suddenly understood it. Unfortunately we were in church at the time and I shouted to my mother in the next row, "I get it now."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! "I GET IT NOW!" I love that.
      Thanks for your comment! Haven't we had some strange rain this summer? I am sure it has been the same for you in North CArolina! :-)

      Delete
  15. I know the show well but don't watch it very often as it's too random a selection of artists you have to sit through before something good comes on. I know 'Will the circle be unbroken' more recently from The Bioshock Trilogy and the religious preacher in it. A very good snapshot of the entire history of the USA and belief systems and although only a game I learned a great deal from it about American attitudes and values which are very different from here. I like both versions of the song. Only know June Carter from Walk The Line film by proxy as I don't remember ever seeing her on UK TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June Carter Cash was in a film with Johnny Cash, it was called "Murder In Coweta County" and it was based on a true story. They were both very good actors! If you are ever able to view it, please remember that I told you about it here!

      Delete