Thursday, July 26, 2018

Personal Memories-American Troops in Britain In WW 2


Recently, I told you about my visit with my Dad and sisters to the Currahee Military Museum. Remember I told you the paratroopers were sent to England to await the news for D-Day? Of course, there were many other troops that were stationed there. (My Uncle George, my Dad's brother, was one of them.  He was an MP and he spent two years in England.  How I wish he were still around so I could talk to him about this!)  I was most pleased to hear from a friend in England who told me that his father had good memories of the American troops that he knew as a youngster in Herefordshire.   I was delighted to learn that he had even met JOE LOUIS!  And if you do not know who he is, then I strongly suggest you learn about him!  I have a link for you just here!  

What an amazing and interesting man, see if you don't agree! (And that is something that Joe Louis, the American boxer known as the "Brown Bomber" has in common with the Englishman, Henry!)

 The thousands of Americans that were stationed in Great Britain - I have heard the phrase about them, "Oversexed, overpaid and over here"...yes, I know that but I have to tell you that from anyone that I have ever met the only thing that I have felt is a great relief and gratitude that the "Yanks" as they call us, came into the war. They were very thankful that they did so. The Brits had been at war since 1939... okay, now for those personal memories from Henry who was from Herefordshire!
(My thanks to Henry for speaking with his Dad and getting this information to me and thanks to Henry Sr. for the memories! Cheers from this very grateful YANK!  xx)

Note- "Fags" means cigarettes in Britain!

           Henry on the right, with his wife, Joy and son, Henry.



- The code name for the conveyor belt of American battalions that would pass through Herefordshire on the way to the Continent was Operation Bolero. The main site for the encampment of troops was Berrington Hall, home to the Cawley family, which stood in hundreds of acres just outside Leominster (pronounced Lemster). 

- Henry remembers thousands of troops, drawn from all over the States, being there at any one time. The earliest troops to arrive were black - the first 'negroes' that the locals had seen - and their role was to build the camp. Lady Cawley deliberately  had crops planted at the front of the hall so that the troops would have to live at the back and not be so visible. She was, though, agreeable to the hall being used as a hospital.

- H met Joe Louis briefly. Louis was there more as a morale booster than a regular soldier and it was noticeable that he was treated with more respect than the average black. H recalls going in US Army vehicles over the local hills. And plenty of fags and gum.

- Most of the early units arrived 18 months later in early '44. General Patton, dressed in an Eisenhower jacket and  riding breeches, and bearing a crop and ivory-handled pistols, addressed the troops in June and used the F word liberally

- Other units were stationed around the county. A hospital was set up at the bottom of Hergest Ridge near Kington. Hergest would come to prominence 3 decades later as the brief home of Mike Oldfield and title of his second album

- The main hospital was located just to the north of Leominster at Barons Cross. Its dual functions were the welfare of troops in the vicinity and as a general hospital for those injured in Europe after 6 June and its capacity was 1,000 beds. The water supply came from nearby wells.

- The hospital was put to use just a few days after D-Day when the first trainload of combat casualties arrived at Leominster station. The trains kept coming. 70% of the injuries would be orthopaedic in nature and death was rare. Elective surgery was not carried out on those not expected to return to duty within 90 days

- The heaviest pressure on the hospital was after the Battle of the Bulge. It was not unusual for soldiers to be readmitted to hospital 2 or 3 times after further spells of active duty. The last hospital train arrived on 9 May 1945 and 2 months later the hospital ceased functioning.

- The hospital had its own dance band 'The 135th Woodchoppers'. Christmas 1944 was observed in much the same way as it would be in hospital today.    

-  Many of the menial tasks at the hospital were done by German and Italian POWs who became occupants of the tents and the nissen huts when the Americans left Berrington Hall in early August 45.














  

27 comments:

  1. Thank you for this interesting post, Kay.

    Similar was said about the US soldiers who were stationed here during the Second World War...but we, too, were thankful the Yanks were on our side...and they, that we were on theirs. There is only admiration from our side, and no doubt, from theirs in return.

    Henry looks like he is a fine man...quite a character...and the apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree as far as Henry, his son, is concerned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee! And I don't know if you know this, but it goes along with what you are saying here but Major Dick Winters was actually against bringing that hut over from England to the Military Museum. He said that the building could not convey the overwhelming kindness and welcome that they felt from the locals in England! Of course, it makes sense that there were troops in Australia too, because of the war in the South Pacific, it just never occurred to me.
      Henry AND his son Henry are indeed fine characters. How they will roll their eyes when they read this, but it is here in black and white, Henry and Henry!

      Delete
    2. An addendum...one of my father's sisters, one Aunt of mine (and my late older brother) married an American soldier who had been based here. She moved to the US with him after they married. Rockhampton, in central Queensland...the town in which my brother and I were born had a huge US base there...as did Townsville further up north. There were a lot of Americans here.

      The Battle of the Coral Sea was a major battle...and the fighting continued in Papua New Guinea. The Japanese bombed Darwin...blew up a hospital ship in Moreton Bay, just a little north of Brisbane. A Japanese submarine was located in Sydney Harbour.

      US soldiers flooded Brisbane.

      We were right in the midst of it all.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Lee for coming back and telling me this! You might know from my past posts that I am fascinated about the history of World War II. I met so many of the vets arranging their reunions when I was a travel agent. It was my honor to speak with each and every one. Because of them, I have read a great many books on the subject. One of them is "The War Journal of Damon"Rocky" Gause" and HIS story is so incredible, it really should be made into a movie! He made it to Australia from the Phillipines and his story...just amazing. You should check it out!

      I just bet that those American soldiers fell in love with Australia just as my uncle did with the Brits while he was in England! Thank God for our allies, then and now!

      Delete
  2. How interesting. I have been driving right past Berrington Hall and its beautiful estate for almost 30 years and I never knew. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It makes me so happy that you have told me this!! Of course, I have never been to this part of England but it doesn't make me stop having info about it from someone else! LOL!
      Thanks again for your comment! x

      Delete
  3. So interesting to read about the war from the English perspective. My parents talked a lot about when the 'Yanks' came to Queensland, and of course they used the same phrase '.....and over here'! It was quite the joke apparently. The population of Brisbane doubled when they arrived for the final push to keep the Japanese army from coming to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in fact I heard that joke so much that I thought that the US servicemen must have been made to feel unwelcome but it seems that the opposite was true, now I know it was the same in Australia! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Such fascinating memories. My father was a dentist with the American Army Air Force stationed in Bedford and had a lot of interesting memories. When he arrived he discovered he was supposed to use a dental drill without a motor. He had a orderly to use his foot to pump something to make it run. Dad was very proud of finding a Singer sewing machine and being able to use its motor to run his equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is an amazing story! Using a Singer sewing machine's motor for his dental drill, this is really something!
      Thanks for your comment! The American Army Air Force, I know it was part of the army at first, from Mr. Zamperini's book, "Devil AT My Heels"!

      Delete
  5. Interesting that the first group of American soldiers were black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you click on that link for Joe Louis, you will read that the "colored" troops were used as "support", for building, service, etc. Even so, they enjoyed more freedom during that time than they had ever known. And then, to come back to America...once again, if you read the link about Joe Louis, you will see what he had to fight against upon his return to the USA. Quite the gentleman. Here is a quote from one of the sportswriters after Joe Louis died..."He was a credit to his race- the HUMAN race." Love that.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the history lesson, i love learning more things about that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! This is really from Henry in England, (Henry, the son sent it by email but Henry, his father got the thoughts together.) Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. always many historic facts in every corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! We learn so much from each other. And for some reason, that period in history was left out of my education. So I'm always glad to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what! Just learned something new about that time period! Look out for a future post!
      Thanks for you comment, Lottie! Please visit me again!

      Delete
  9. Trying to check and see if my comment came through. I think I might have clicked off too soon. Anyway, love your "lessons"...thank you for them.
    Have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana! You will be tested on them soon! Just make sure you are not making "eyes" at the quarterback, young lady! LOL!

      Delete
  10. I enjoy reading and learning about this period of time in history. When we visited London, we did a pub crawl tour in which the guide took us to various locations that had to do with Americans there in WWII and how grateful they were to them. I wish I could remember it all. That was 16 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a big American hospital in Glasgow not far from where I grew up and a lot of American film stars visited the troops at it during the war. Watched a recent documentary about Winston Churchill (possibly) withholding vital British intelligence info about Pearl Harbour attack as he was desperate to get the USA into the war and it was counterproductive to send any reports picked up by spies that something big was planned in that area. All speculation of course by historians as it's something you would definitely keep under wraps. Italian and German POW's built most of the housing district I lived in growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has always been speculation that the info about Pearl Harbor was kept hidden. I hope that is not true but perhaps it is, it certainly "awakened a sleeping giant".

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing this post and I love the photo of the couple and their son..what a nice looking family! My Dad fought in WWII and I wish I had listened more to his stories when I was young. He passed away 42yrs ago but we know a bit about his service. Your story here would make a great movie! Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy & Henry also have a daughter, but she was not around for me to take her photo! :-)
      I think that a film could be made of the memories of these war time children. Wait , I just thinking of one..."Hope and Glory". Check it out! It was from years ago, but it was good!

      Delete
  13. Thanks, I hope that Henry will read this AND all the comments!

    ReplyDelete