Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Doris Day "Nothing Could Be Finer"




Join me in wishing a happy birthday to Doris Day today! 

Doris Day- kind, beautiful, funny, and oh so talented at singing and acting!  I only knew her from her films with Rock Hudson from the 1960's (and also her TV show from the same decade)  but thanks to the TCM network that shows classic movies, I have grown to appreciate her great talent. 

Often, people will think that someone who is bright and sunny, seemingly always cheerful has led a charmed life.  We all know that is not always the case, right?  The reason she had that TV show in the 1960's? When her husband, Marty Melcher died in 1968, she discovered that he had squandered all her savings and she was really forced to do it for the money. (That and also several TV specials which she really didn't want to do.)  What happened? Why, she soldiered on and the TV show and all her specials were big hits. 







Did I mention her kindness?  Doris Day has been an advocate for animals for many years.   You may read more about her great work just here.  If you click on that link, you may also donate towards the Doris Day Animal Fund. You know that would be the best present for Doris Day!


In honor of Doris Day, here is one of our native wildflowers-an azalea.   Just like her, it is naturally beautiful!

If you are wondering about my the title of my post...I hope you know that is from "Carolina In The Morning" and was written by Gus Khan (played by the wonderful Danny Thomas in that film that you MUST see, "I'll See You In My Dreams".)  

24 comments:

  1. She was a very talented person and I loved to hear her sing and watched many of those old movies too. How wonderful to have azaleas growing as wild flowers. Just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Easter Sunday, my good friend had this this same flower, it was a gigantic bush in her yard and it was magnificent, so perfect for Easter! (It does grow wild in our woods here and when you happen to come across it, it takes your breath away.)

      Delete
  2. I always liked Doris Day when I was a kid and watched many of her movies and TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same but I didn't really appreciate her singing until I saw her movies from the 50's. I read that Ella Fitzgerald admired her too, so that just shows how what kind of a singer she was back then!

      Delete
  3. I just watched my favorite Doris Day movie Lover Come Back. She is not given credit for her dramatic roles. I am waiting to see Calamity Jane again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That same network I told you about "TCM, showed a few of her movies on her birthday. I have recorded them and will enjoy them later!

      Delete
  4. Gosh that film goes back a long long time. I was only a youngster when I saw it. Yes, Doris Day is a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she is still around for us to wish her a happy birthday! I hope she looked at the message that I sent to her and that she read how much I adored that movie she made with Danny Thomas, it was directed by Michael Curtiz, the same one who did "Casablanca". It was wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I've heard of her but haven't seen her shows or know that much about her... will have to change that! Thank you sharing, have a great day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you only see one of her movies, make sure it is the one with Danny Thomas, "I'll See You In My Dreams". I simply loved it.

      Delete
  6. She's still beautiful! I love all her old movies and when she acted with Rock Hudson she was always delightful! Happy Birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They just showed "Pillow Talk" recently. I watched it to see if it was as good as I remembered it. It was!
      xx

      Delete
  7. She is simply one beautiful person, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my kind of person, we need more like that.

      Delete
  8. And now I have a happy song playing in my head! :)

    Hope you're feeling better Kay. So sorry to hear about the asthma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue! I am much better now, thank you! Hope YOU are well!
      And with a happy song in your head, that makes me happy!

      Delete
  9. Here's another real lady, just like your late mother-in-law. I knew about her animal charity and hope it gets many donations for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true, and of course, you know that I am thinking of Joan, Doris Day is the same generation.
      Doris Day has done a great deal of good things, not too many people appreciate her!

      Delete
  10. I don't think her earlier life was that happy, either. But how much happiness she brought to others, and to animals, I think. A very nice post, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, she really didn't have that great a childhood and yet, you would never know it by her sunny smile. We really never know what a person has gone through in life, do we? Thanks very much for liking my post! I can't seem to quite get to what I am trying to say these days, so I am glad you "get" me!

      Delete
  11. I always liked Doris Day's movies with Rock Hudson. Wonderful romantic comedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She was just very funny too, with perfect timing.

      Delete
  12. She has lived a good life. I loved her movies when I was a kid. Especially those she made with Rock Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee, Just now seeing your post! Loved those funny films with Rock Hudson too.

      Delete