Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Red/ "Gone From My Sight"





All of these photos are from England except the two flower photos...the large flower is an amaryllis and the small red one is a fire pink which is a beautiful wildflower that grows here.  Why am I thinking of red?  My mother-in-law passed away recently and she left instructions for everyone to wear red at her Memorial service. So, this is just my way of showing this color in her honor.







...

Joan wanted the songs "Jerusalem" and "All Things Bright and Beautiful" at her service.   Should I have both songs on here for you? Of course, I will!










Thinking of those who have lost loved ones recently...there is a poem that I wonder if you know.   It is called "Gone From My Sight".  It was written by Henry Van Dyke in the 1860's...


Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"


Why, you will never guess...the same man who wrote this poem also wrote the lyrics to "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" which is set to the music of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.  
You must know that song! If not, you will now!










30 comments:

  1. "Jerusalem" and "All Things Bright and Beautiful" are two of my favourites as well. What beautiful choices for her memorial service. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay - lovely to see all your red and those memories of your MIL - both those hymns ring true to me and my early life ... yes may she rest in peace - and her family have lovely memories - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. They are both very English hymns to me.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful tribute...a beautiful post, Kay.

    And as for the colour red...a truly beautiful, powerful, positive colour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I love that she asked for red.

      Delete
  4. I think this is lovely. Wearing red at her memorial service is very nice. I wore colors to both my parents' services. And I love the poem because that's how I feel as well. Love the songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay! Lovely to see your comment here! So glad you like the poem too! Did you know it? I only learned of it a few years ago myself, I really like it.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea for everyone to wear red instead of black and I love I love the hymn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I hope that you will be humming these tunes today!

      Delete
  6. I do love the color red and I'm thinking that I too should tell my children to wear red. You have done a wonderful tribute for your MIL. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MA! No doubt someone else could have done a much better tribute for Joan, but my little bits of red and music are my attempt as a tribute!

      Delete
  7. A good way to mark this sad but special day, and the poem is very touching, I didn't know it.
    Do you know the one where it says something like "I'm only in the next room"? Steve's older sister read that at his funeral service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that poem, the one that you mention, but it sounds very similar to this one, doesn't it?
      I love to find a poem that says exactly what I am thinking. If only I could write something like this myself!

      Delete
  8. Please accept my condolences. You have honored your Mother-in-Law’s memory beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! There is nothing like color and beautiful music to bring beauty to the world!

      Delete
  9. Red is a nice color for a memorial service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. You would have liked to have known Joan, i am sure. I love that she saw your Aloha wishes from Hawaii. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Two of my favourite hymns. Jerusalem always gives me goosebumps. Think of the Last night of the proms.
    Red, what a great idea. Maybe I should think ahead. What colour would I like? Hmmmmmmm, I like black though.
    Luv Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was able to be over there a few years ago while the Proms were going on and I have a video of myself singing along on the last night of the Proms! Wish we had something like that here!

      Delete
  11. Of course, thanks to you, I know the poem and very lovely it is too. I remember my Maternal Grandmother insisting that at her funeral no black was to be worn. Given that she died at 93 over 30 years ago this was quite a departure from the tradition of her generation. Generally speaking I think we should give thanks for a life lived and be happy for that rather than mourn the loss which is ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have known of this poem for some time but I only found out that the author was also the one who wrote the words to "Joyful, Joyful, WE Adore Thee". I only learned that while I was writing this post. That is why I love to blog, it helps me learn so many things.
      "A life well lived". I give thanks.

      Delete
  12. I think wearing red is a fabulous idea and what a lovely tribute you've given your dear Mother-in-law. I love every hymn here and especially "Joyful, Joyful". Hugs to you and your family and knowing we will see each other again in a better place always helps ease my sadness. Take care Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these hymns too! Thank you so much for your comment here, Yaya. I started to put the song "I Want To Stroll Over Heaven With You" on this post. If I had, it would have gone along with what you wrote here! (That song was sung at my Grandmother's funeral.) xx

      Delete
  13. That's so wonderful that your mother in law left that instruction - I'll bet her service was joyful.

    I love the color red, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Red is such a bright, joyful color, I love that she wanted it also.

      Delete
  14. So sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's passing. I love that she requested mourners wear red. How wonderful! And her choice of hymns was lovely. Your post here is a loving tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mairead. I know you know these hymns! Hope you are having a beautiful spring. x

      Delete