Monday, February 17, 2014

Louis Zamperini-Olympian/Hero



Watching the Olympics in Sochi, I have been thinking of Mr. Zamperini.  Louis Zamperini was in the 1936 Olympics when they were held in Berlin. You  know the one, where Jesse Owens won four gold medals!  Mr. Zamperini was on the same track team and was the roommate of Jesse Owens.   I have written of my admiration of Louis Zamperini and Jesse Owens both, if you look back at some of my earlier posts.  (I read "Devil At My Heels" in 2004 and wrote a letter to the publisher and asked if that letter could be forwarded to Mr. Zamperini just to let him know how much I admired him.  I was surprised to receive a handwritten note from him.  I now know that he must have replied to hundreds of letters!)

 Once you are an Olympian, you are always an Olympian...it would be wonderful to win a medal, but let's face it, the majority of the athletes go home without any medals.  For those who do not place first, second or third...I say to them. hold your head high, you are OLYMPIANS and will always have the memory of having competed amongst the finest of the athletes of your time.

 Mr. Zamperini did not win any medals at his Olympics in 1936, but he is still proud of his Olympic experience and yes, he is still very much with us.   At the age of 97, he still gives inspirational speeches!    His life story has been so full that I can scarcely believe how the director of his life story "Unbroken" will be able to accurately portray his story in the time allotted in a movie.  He has had such a life....   I found a movie trailer of "Unbroken" which will be released this Christmas.  Look at this and tell me what you think.  Me?  I plan to see it as soon as it is released!  If not on Christmas day, at least on the day after that!


 

25 comments:

  1. What an amazing man. Unbroken-kind of says it all, doesn't it? You are so right- One an Olympian-always an Olympian. God bless all of the athletes that have put their heart and soul into competing. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart and soul, that is it exactly. And I admire that in anyone!
      I know I have spoken of Mr. Zamperini before, but I truly admire him.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. It's an amazing story, isn't it? Jolie has been spending a lot of time here in Queensland while making the movie. She, too, is an inspiring person, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing the movie when it's released. Clips of it were shown on TV this morning.

    I've been watching Sochi...when the Games are over, I'll have withdrawals!! I'm enjoying them...I like the Winter Olympics...there certainly are some nail-biting events...and I love the skating, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I saw a long white bridge that will be used in the movie...do you know the one? I think I saw it on an Australian news website...
      Let me know of anything you hear about this movie! It is one that I eagerly looking forward to!
      These winter Olympics have been most enjoyable, even with the TV coverage here which is not the best, you have to disregard some to the blab and the blather, if you know what I mean!
      I wrote a few posts about the Summer Olympics when they were in London, and I wrote about the withdrawal after they finished!

      Delete
  3. We need more inspiring stories like his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...and I those are the kind of stories that I like to read and to share!

      Delete
  4. This gave me goose bumps. I certainly will be going to see the movie. thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was hoping someone would see this who might not have heard of Louis Zamperini!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, Kay, I hadn't seen the trailer. How amazing to see Louis interviewed. He's 97 ~ it just brings me shivers to think about his unbelievable life and unwavering spirit! I really can't wait to see the movie. Alain and I watched "All Is Lost" last night (the survival movie with Robert Redford) and it made me think of Louis over and over again. I know where I'll be on Christmas night! Hee hee....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never see anything about people being adrift at sea without thinking of Mr. Zamperini and how he survived. Amazing story and one that I HOPE will come across in the film!

      Delete
  6. I literally got shivers watching the trailer! Can't wait to see the movie. Your header is glorious! Have a happy day, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bet that I will see the movie and will do a post about it, I am sure!
      That header photo is from a few years ago, from a bouquet from England!
      Have a great week, Louise! Hope your weather will be kind in Colorado!

      Delete
  7. This is a story of which I knew nothing and I'm so glad that you posted something about it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristi!
      I have written several times about Mr. Zamperini but I still felt I had to share this movie trailer of "Unbroken". I am glad I posted it if one more person knows a bit of his story!

      Delete
  8. I love your flower header - it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandie! Flowers from England, they are and they take my breath away!

      Delete
  9. You have me all ready for the movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing me, I might have to do several more posts about this movie before it is released...I don't want anyone to miss it!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! This looks like an amazing movie. And he's 97 right now? He is certainly an incredible man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kay!
    Mr. Zamperini went back to Japan and met with his former captors and forgave them. He also went to Japan and carried the Olympic Torch in the 1998 Winter Games on his 81st birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such an amazing story! Wow! I'll be looking for the movie.

      Delete
  12. I love your enthusiasm! It is like the sun on a cloudy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, dear Nan!!
      The world tampers my enthusiasm right down but I let it fly on my blog!!
      Take care! xx

      Delete
  13. Looks a cracking film and a worthy subject. I know what you mean about the world impacting on your enthusiasm. Been there- had that passion diluted by general apathy or derision- bounced back up again with something else inspirational a week later. Never give up your belief in the things that matter to you- is my motto as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is my hope that everyone who sees this film will be as thrilled with Mr. Zamperini and his story as much as I am.
    And yes, you are right, I have great enthusiasm and very often I am met with scorn and apathy, but hey, that's not MY problem!
    Thanks very much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete