Thursday, June 22, 2017

Service of Hope-Southwark Cathedral




Last week, on June 16th, there was a service at Southwark Cathedral in London following the terror attack at London Bridge.
It was called a Service of Hope, to remember and honor the victims of the attack. 
Looking at the Southwark Cathedral website, I was able to view the order of the service. If you would like to see this also, you may do so just here.


One of the songs, "Jesu, Lover of My Soul" was one of the songs in the service.   It is one of my favorites.  I have a video of Aled Jones singing it.  The lyrics are by Charles Wesley and this is what the American preacher Henry Ward Beecher had to say about it - "I would rather have written this hymn of Wesley's than to have the fame of all the kings that ever sat on earth."





14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so too, I was glad to be able to read the service. Wish I could have been there.

      Delete
  2. It is important not to lose hope in sight of all that's going on in our world. Therefore, a "Service of Hope" certainly is a good idea in the face of grief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much going on in the world just now, I wish we had more services like this one.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the order of service for this Service of Hope/ And also Aled Jones beautiful singing of Jesus, Lover of My Soul.Such a powerful performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I am glad that you like Aled Jones performance also, he is a great singer.

      Delete
  4. We need to keep Hope alive these days. Beautiful cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo of Southwark Cathedral is one that Richard took the last time we were in London.

      Delete
  5. That was a really beautiful piece of music. I'm sure it was a real comfort and joy for the people at the service to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I love hymns but that one, it is a very special one.

      Delete
  6. Hope is sometimes wearing thin, thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. We need to give each other hope and encouragement.

      Delete
  7. Is that little Aled Jones, all grown up? Man, I haven't thought of him since he was that popular boy soprano in the 1980s! Still has a beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is the same one! And I am working on a post on Aled Jones so look out for it! :-)
      I think he's great!

      Delete