Sunday, June 4, 2017

"A Part of the Main"

                                       London Bridge

                                                             Borough Market


Richard and I came home last night and switched on the TV to see the news from London.
Borough Market is just beside Southwark Cathedral on the South Bank.

                                  Southwark Cathedral


I looked at the website for Southwark Cathedral and this is what was posted for today.


Sunday 4 June

As a consequence of the terror attack on London Bridge and in the Borough Market the Cathedral is closed until the police cordon is lifted. We will post updates. Please pray for the Cathedral, its parish and community and all those caught up in the attack.

Praying for SE1

(SE1 is the post code for this area. It stands for Southeast 1.)

                          


 
No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
                    

The above was written by John Donne, a cleric in the Church of England, in 1624.  If you would like to read more about his life and writings you may do so just here.
Sorry to say that it states that for a many number of years his work was considered "inept and crude".  Well.
If I had never written any other thing in my life, if I could have written the truth as he has stated it in that piece of prose above, I would be content.


Note:  I don't have much control over this world but this is my blog and if anyone leaves me a comment that I find offensive, it will be deleted. 







23 comments:

  1. The world is in such a sad state right now. People taking pleasure in the pain of others is beyond my comprehension. I mourn with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly believe the news these days, there is just so much hatred and violence.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I know, Richard and I were stunned to see images of these places that we know very well.

      Delete
  4. John Donne's poem is especially apt today. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. Maybe I should send it to Trump too?

      Delete
  5. I was shocked to hear about this and my prayers go out to those who were injured. Such tragedy these past weeks...I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For anyone who have lost loved ones in attacks, my heart goes out to them.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post Kay, and inspiration to use John Donne's poem. We too are stunned and shocked by what is happening, not far from where we happily holidayed last year. Thank you for the lovely photos, which help put location into perspective. What a lovely cathedral - so, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you go back to London, I hope you will go to see Southwark Cathedral, it is one of the oldest in London and is amazing to see.
      Patricia, you know I realized later that we were in London at the same time that you were! I wish we could have met!
      I feel more than saddened by this news from London, and I find it very hard to write words when I am this way.
      Thank you for your kind words. x

      Delete
  7. Beautifully put, Kay. I remember being introduced to those lines by Donne at school. I was visiting London at the weekend, went through London Bridge earlier in the day - it's a favourite part of town and nearby places have often been featured on A Bit About Britain - and watched events unfold on social media later with a mixture of horror and disbelief. We will beat these people - and their actions will not divide us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I can only imagine how you feel, knowing that you were on London Bridge that same day.
      Horror and disbelief, I can understand that.
      You know that I have a great admiration of the Brits and the strength that they have always shown. God be with us all.

      Delete
  8. It's a shame they closed the cathedral. I'm sure the people would have appreciated having a place of worship open they could all congregate to. Hopefully it's not closed for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I am sure that it will not be closed for long. I imagine the only reason they did so was because the police had closed down the streets to it.
      It has been a place of worship for over 1000 years!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It is a terrible tragedy. I am praying for the families who lost loved ones and praying for those still in hospital fighting for their lives.

      Delete
  10. A perfect poem. I'm still reeling over all of the attacks. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are, each one of us, a part of this world.
      It might sound trite like something from a greeting card or a pop song, but hey, this is the only planet we have and we need to care for it and for each other.

      Delete
  11. Nice photo of the Walkie Talkie and the cheesegrater skyscrapers. That's the London I'd like to visit to see all the new buildings. A lot of folk here are calling for all the immigrants to be kicked out of the UK in the usual knee jerk reaction but if they did that London and many other cities would be ghost towns with village sized populations :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love London. I saw it for the first time in 1981 and it was love at first sight. It has changed so much over the years but I very much enjoy the newer buildings. My favorite, The Shard, is very close to Southwark Cathedral.
      I can't think what the best solution would be, I can only pray for guidance for those in charge.

      Delete