Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Stone Mountain Lake


Stone Mountain Park is extremely popular and can become quite crowded at the weekends.  In the winter, there is an attraction called "Snow Mountain".  They make snow from the water from the lake and on the large hill they have an area for sliding, and at the base of the mountain, a place for little kiddies to play in the snow. (The past two months have been quite warm but in the shadow of the mountain, it must have been cold enough to keep the snow!)  You can see from the pictures below that there are times that all of it is in bright sunshine!


Of course, you can also just walk beside the lake and enjoy the beauty of the dogwood trees and the quiet sound of the water lapping against the shore.

At one time, they had two riverboats that would take you around the large lake.  I really do miss them.  (Doesn't the look of it remind you of Mark Twain and his books?)
They have one remaining.  It is no longer used but I have hopes that one day it will be restored and will be an attraction again. 

Mabel is just beside the lake playing the Carillion here.  The sound of this echoes across the water and if the wind is just right, you can hear it from the very top of Stone Mountain.  Even though Stone Mountain can be very busy, you can get away from the crowds, if you really want to!  You know we do!





14 comments:

  1. Your Stone Mountain is full of surprises, and a really fun place. Loved hearing the carillion, and seeing the pretend snow which would be a huge hit with our Aussie grandson. I do hope the riverboat is restored - they are lovely and remind me of that great musical Showboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Stone Mountain, I am sure! The snow is a fairly recent thing but I think it is popular, the kids here don't see snow very often!
      If they ever bring back the riverboat, I will let you know!

      Delete
  2. That is exactly what a park should be. Places for recreation, places for nature, and beautiful music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most parks have a bigger emphasis on the manmade things...rides, ziplines, etc...but Stone Mountain Park still makes sure to allow for those who are more interested in the natural beauty of the place!

      Delete
  3. I much rather walk around the lake with you (or climb the mountain) than play in the snow :-) It does look a bit weird to see just that one patch of snow there, with spring being on its way everywhere else, but I can imagine it is great fun for the kids.
    My favourite picture of this batch is the fourth from the top. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you know Richard took that photo of the dogwood blooming just beside the lake! The snow is not something I really like, it seems a shame to build all that on the hill just for the snow, but then, people do like it, and it keeps the majority happy! :-)

      Delete
  4. You've brought to mind something i hadn't thought about for several years. When i was in high school, i had a friend whose family vacationed for two weeks each summer at Stone Mountain, Georgia. Now i understand why they loved the area so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, that is wonderful! Wish you could have gone with them and I could have met you walking up the mountain!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Stone Mountain was a favorite place to go growing up and when I married we took our girls there. Haven't been in a few years. It's a great attraction at Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks so pretty decorated for Christmas! You should go back again and let me know when you do, I will meet you at the very top! I will still try to walk, but if I can't, I will ride on the lift! :-)

      Delete
  6. "Stone Mountain" is one of the few things I've heard of, at least as far as Georgia goes. It looks incredible. I've never actually seen it before. If I'm ever in Georgia I should take a trip there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look back at my blog, I am sure I have several posts about Stone Mountain! See the little photo beside my name? That is Stone Mountain with the little path in front of it!

      Delete
  7. I'm sure that you've mentioned the carillon before. It all looks delightful whether it be for children (and parents wanting something for them to do outdoors) or for people just wanting a quiet walk. It would be really fun to restore the Mark Twain boat (yes it does remind me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, I have told you about the carillon before! We were just there this past weekend (we go as often as we can) and so this was all fresh in my mind!
      I am glad that the boat reminds you of Mark Twain too!
      Adventures of Huckleberry Finn...that is one of my very favorite books of all time!

      Delete