Friday, May 31, 2024

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

 Imagine this:

It is the first day of January in 1916, and you are trapped on an island of ice in Antarctica.   It is cold and you are hungry.  Returning from a trip across the ice, you are on skis and are almost back to camp....

Suddenly, and without warning, a giant head pops up from the ice! You run as fast as you can and shout for help! The animal - a sea leopard- springs out of the water and comes straight after you! It almost reaches you when suddenly, it goes underwater again, in the slushy part of the ice. You have almost made it to the side of the ice floe when the sea leopard's head comes right up in front of you!  The animal has tracked your shadow across the ice. One of your mates has heard your screams and has a rifle.  The animal tries to bite HIM but he gets a shot off and kills the creature. When they bring the carcass of the sea leopard into camp, it measures 12 feet long and they estimate it to be about 1,100 pounds.  They give the jawbone to you as a souvenir, it is nearly 9 inches across.

----------------------------------------------------------

The above story is a true one and it is one of the accounts in the extraordinary book : "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing.  Perhaps you have read many books about Ernest Shackleton or maybe you don't know one thing about him. Either way, you should read this book! Alfred Lansing's book was published in 1959 and he had been able to interview many of those who had been on this expedition and to also study their journals. (What wonderful writers they all were, and so very good to include so many of their own words in this book!)

-------------------------------------------------------------


  Led by Sir Ernest Shackelton, the polar expedition had set sail on August 1914 for Antarctica on the Endurance.  It became trapped in ice and finally sank on Nov. 21, 1915. You will be filled with admiration for Ernest Shackleton, I promise that you will! Here's the thing: you will like ALL these men on this trip, you will! It is a truly wonderful story of survival and of the power of being positive.  I don't think I am giving anything away by telling you that ALL SURVIVED! Did you know that many major corporations now have classes that follow the leadership techniques of Sir Ernest Shackleton? It's true! 

My friends, I have read a great many books of non-fiction in my life. THIS book might possibly be one of the best.  This should be an example of how to write, not just non fiction but how to write, period.

As I started to write this post, I recalled how much I loved giving book reports in school and how much my classmates enjoyed them. I always had to start my report in front of the class with a true "hook" for the guys who never read books unless they had to do so.   That is what made me think of opening with this account of the sea leopard! I hope you will understand my line of thought.


Of course, I could tell you a lot more about this book and what happened on this expedition to Antarctica, but I want you to read the book!


ENDURANCE: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.

  


 

On the cover of this book, that is an actual photo of the ship stuck in the ice!

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a gripping book! The more common name for "sea leopard" these days is "leopard seal" and, while they rarely attack humans, they can seriously wound or even kill if they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to use the words "leopard seal" but then, just that one word "seal" conjures up a sweet little face and that is not what the leopard seal looks like! LOL!! You are absolutely correct, of course and I appreciate your comment! And it is a MOST gripping book, you are right about that too!

      Delete
  2. You know that this is very much my kind of book, too. Good to know the men on the Shackleton expedition all survived - very different to those who went on board the Erebus and the Terror, never to be seen again, and whose final days and hours remain pretty much a mystery to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I have just checked my blog for book reviews of similar expeditions; not sure you read my blog in 2013 when I posted this:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2013/04/read-in-2013-11-in-arctic-seas.html
      The post contains links to other reviews of mine, such as the great „Frozen in Time“.

      Like you, I have always loved to introduce books to others. Your method of starting with a hook is great!

      Delete
    2. I have read "Frozen In Time" and also enjoyed it! (Must be fair and say it is not nearly as good as the book I have told you about here, truly!) I think I first read "A Night To Remember" when I was 11 years old, about the sinking of the Titanic. II think I've been hooked on those kinds of stories since then. (It's even better if all survive though!) Glad you liked my "hook" at the beginning!

      Delete
  3. I read that book years ago out the local library. It is a cracker. Also spotted a stuffed Leopard Seal in Kelvingrove Museum after I'd read about it and it is an impressive beast with a mouthful of daggers for catching prey. Well named. Another good sea adventure is 'In the Heart of the Sea' by Nathaniel Philbrick. The true story of the Essex events that inspired Moby Dick. Bob. BSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A mouthful of daggers", yes that is what the description said in the book also!! Imagine being chased by one! So glad you know the book and also that you were able to see a stuffed leopard seal at a museum. I do envy the museums that you have! I have also read "In the Heart of the Sea", which I liked very much. Let me know if you have any great books of non fiction to recommend, I am a big fan.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kay, I do not read that many non fiction books but if you haven't read it The Salt Path by Raynor Winn is worth looking out for as is Adrift: 76 days lost at sea by Steven Callahan. Also A child in the forest by Winifred Foley. You did ask and I enjoyed all of them. Best wishes Bob. BSS.

      Delete
    3. I have read the book by Steven Callahan but not the other two. Thank you for telling me! Best wishes to you!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good book to read. I like your opening paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so well written, it was a great pleasure to read.

      Delete
  5. You began with a great story. Books like this keep history alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I used to tell my classmates to not be turned off by dull history books. There were great books out there, you just have to find them. (Easier now with the internet, but back in my day, you had to search them out!)

      Delete
  6. Kay of Musings: Wow! This is a riveting experience. It’s so awesome that everyone survived on that journey. How sad that Shackleton passed away so young though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Shackleton didn't live too long after. And some of the others died in the Great War, if I am remembering correctly.

      Delete
  7. It sounds fascinating, with what I am sure are some amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You see, I didn't want to spoil it by telling too much but I hope it will make someone read this book!

      Delete
  8. What an awesome sounding book and yes, you had me at the beginning! I kept thinking how I hate being too cold in the winter and can't imagine surviving such an ordeal. Then I was wondering if they could eat that beast? I guess I'll have to read the book to find out! I know one thing for sure...my blog books will not inspire anyone to write a book report about them! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they most certainly ate that big beast! They ate everything that they could, they had no food at all. I don't know, YAYA, your blog books should inspire someone to write a book report on a great loving family!

      Delete
  9. Wow. The hook worked! Thank you for the book recommendation - it does sound absolutely fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue!! It is such a great book, I do hope you will read it.

      Delete
  10. I am always so impressed by people who do this kind of thing. Years ago there were more opportunities to face challenges than now, and of course more risks too. In one school I attended, the houses were named after brave men, including Shackleton, Scott and Nansen. I don't know if they were trying to encourage us girls to consider donning the snowshoes and set off into the wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny Woolf! So nice to see your comment here! I love that the houses at your school were named after inspiring men but I do wonder that they didn't also include some women also but alas, that is something that is more of a modern idea, isn't it? Still, perhaps those names DID inspire some of you at your school, you are a successful author, right? Take care!

      Delete
  11. Well, you hooked me, Kay! I've written this book down in my list of books to buy. Thanks for visiting my blog. I really appreciated you giving me a poke! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't say too much about what all happened. You will thank me when you read the book! It is truly marvelous.

      Delete