Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Chattanooga (NOOGA)

 

Chattanooga, Tennessee!  Richard and I just visited in the month of September, and you know I have some photos to show you.  It is commonly called "Nooga" because honestly, that is a long word to type...C H A T T A N O O G A ! 


This was the view from our hotel room.  I loved this so much!


This very modern building is the Tennessee Aquarium and is well worth a visit! It is right beside the Tennessee River.  We took our son there when he was only 3 years old and the area around it has grown so much in those 30 years!





Several bridges cross the river in Chattanooga. The one pictured below is the Market Street bridge. Look at that lovely blue paint! There are cars crossing on that bridge along with pedestrians. 














The Walnut Street bridge is pictured above. Also called the John Ross bridge, it is a truss bridge and was built in 1890. It is now totally for pedestrians and bikes! No cars allowed! Isn't that great! I remember seeing it when we took our son there in the early 1990's and it was all rusty brown. Apparently, it was destined to be TORN DOWN! Can you believe it? A group of like-minded citizens got together and saved it. Along with the Aquarium, it is a jewel of the city. It is one of the longest pedestrian bridges in the country. Did I walk across it? You know I did! Richard and I both did!  It is 2,375 feet across, and we totally enjoyed every step of the way.







These two photos show views from the bridge. Can you recognize the Tennessee Aquarium at the far left of photo? 















On the other side of the bridge there is a lovely park with beautiful fountains. The sculptured animals are made in such a way that children can actually climb upon them. The building behind the fountains has a beautiful carousel inside it.  Had it not been such a gorgeous day, I would have ridden on it, seemed a shame to go indoors even for just a bit!
Next time I am there, I think those pretty painted horses will be seeing me! LOL!






Crossing back across the bridge, this is the view of the Hunter Museum. It is a lovely building built upon a bluff overlooking the river. (We didn't have time to visit there but hopefully we will next time!)

The Chattanooga Riverwalk extends for 16.1 miles along the southern banks of the Tennessee river. (Yes, I typed that correctly! Over 16 miles!!) There are lovely spots to enjoy the sunsets.


I just heard that Loretta Lynn died today. She was 90 years old. I've told you before how much I loved the film based upon her autobiography, "Coal Miner's Daughter"! It was one of my Daddy's favorite films too.   Loretta Lynn wrote most of own songs but one that was a big hit for her was the song "One's On The Way". It was written by Shel Silverstein,  the same man who wrote "A Boy Named Sue" for Johnny Cash. 
"

Take care, my friends!  Enjoy "ever" single day! (That is how Lorretta Lynn said "every", just like my Daddy.)

33 comments:

  1. I assume the "official song" of Chattanooga is "Chattanooga Choo Choo"? And yes, RIP Loretta Lynn. I was a big fan of her music back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but there is not much mentioned about the song "Chattanooga Choo Choo". That might change once the train station is restored. I plan to do another post about the song anyway, so look out for it!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about Loretta Lynn's passing. She was a pioneer in more ways than one, but especially her courage to put songs out there that depicted real life. Many radio stations wouldn't play them. My how times have changed! She was and is a true American icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a nice article about the songs that Loretta Lynn wrote...she was quoted as saying that folks would raise their eyebrows at her songs but they would be grinning at the same time! (I paraphrase a lot but that was the gist of it!)

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard about Loretta Lynn so thank you for posting it here. I always liked her and her music. Tennessee is a beautiful state and one my sister's kids are thinking of moving there one day. You have some pretty wonderful pics here and I love the one of you and Richard! I would really enjoy walking across that bridge! Your carrousel mention reminded me that we have a beautiful carrousel park in Mansfield with beautiful carved horses. I haven't ridden on them but with family visiting this weekend it would be a great place to take my Great nieces and nephews for a few hours of fun! Have a good rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do go on the carrousel with the little ones! And glad you could walk across the bridge with us! Take care. x

      Delete
  4. What a lovely break you had in "Nooga"! So much to see and do, and thank you for sharing it. You know I would have walked that bridge and climbed those sculptures :-)
    Who took the picture of you and Richard? Did Christopher come with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have gotten on the sculptures too but they were very busy with kids AND you really needed a bathing suit, the kids were soaking wet!

      Delete
  5. As soon as I saw the heading 'Chattanooga', the Choo choo theme came into my head! What a pretty place it is, especially the blue bridge. The park looks beautiful, and I would love to see inside the Hunter Museum - what a great position up there on the bluff. I had not heard about Loretta Lynn, so sad. I loved Coal Miner's daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your posts that you share when you visit museums! When we next visit, I really to hope to see inside the museum. If you look closely at the photo, we think they were setting up for a wedding that day. Wouldn't that be a lovely spot?

      Delete
  6. What a lovely place to visit. That bridge is beautiful, There are a lot of old bridges across the US that need to be renovated. Loretta Lynn will definitely be missed. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many bridges that need to be replaced or renovated! I hope folks in charge are paying attention to them all!

      Delete
  7. It looks like such an enjoyable place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is becoming a "trendy" kind of place and sometimes that can be bad and good, if you know what I mean. We enjoyed ourselves!

      Delete
  8. We drove through Chattanooga once when we were on vacation but didn't have time to stop and explore. Someday i'll have to try to rectify that situation.

    It made me sad to hear of Ms. Loretta Lynn's passing away. She was a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read a most wonderful article in the NY Times written by George Vecsey, who helped with her autobiography. I think he would agree that she was a wonderful lady.
      Next time you are in Chattanooga area, make sure to see ROCK CITY! That is one of the spots that we visited most as a child!

      Delete
  9. Nice picture tour of 'nooga'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took loads more photos! That view out our hotel window, for one...as I was looking out, I actually saw a rainbow appear right in front of me! My photos didn't turn out very well but to see that happen right in front of my eyes, it was amazing!

      Delete
  10. What a good trip. Glad you enjoyed all that was on offer. Nice to know Chattanooga actually exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, indeed Chattanooga is a real place! There is a lot to do there, so hopefully you will see more about the area in the future!

      Delete
  11. Lovely photographs from your trip.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! It was a nice trip. Hope you are well these days. xx

      Delete
  12. Shel Silverstein wrote A Boy Named Sue? Oh my gosh! I had no idea. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you know his children's books. Fascinating guy. Look him up! He did a lot of things.

      Delete
  13. I was so surprised to hear about Silverstein that I forgot to note how wonderful your trip is looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was nice. We were blessed with nice weather. The week before Chattanooga had flooding from lots of rain!

      Delete
  14. Dear Kay, thanks so much for including a video of Loretto singing. I can always count on you to teach me something about music . . . and words also. I've never been in Tennessee and never knew that "Nooga" was such a beautiful city. I think in reading your posting I recognized a bias in myself. As someone from the North and the MidWest and as someone who studied Slavery and Southern History in grad school and who got involved in the Civil Rights protesting, I realized today that I have a bias against the South. Still, after all these years of trying to be open to Life as it presents itself to me, I find that I have a semi-closed mind to the South. I'm grateful that you showed us the bridges, the river, the museums, all of it because you got me in touch with a bias that I need to rid myself of. Thank you. Peace from Dee Ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the only one who has a bias against the South. I have experienced it my whole life. I think that is one of the reasons that I loved Elvis so much as a child, he spoke with a real Southern accent and well...he was Elvis! Our whole country has a lot to recognize from history that is shameful, not just the South. I think it is important that we teach all of history, not just sanitized versions. As more and more people move to Georgia from other states, I am finding the attitude that you have expressed here. Hey, we are all just people, no matter what part of the country, no matter what part of the world! Peace to you and to our world.

      Delete
    2. Dear Kay, I do agree that we are all one and I will work on getting rid of this bias. I'm going to read more about the history of the South in the 20th century and this century. Anything you'd suggest, I'd be interested in. Thank you. Peace . . . in Oneness. From Dee Ready

      Delete
    3. As much as I love history, I realize that I can't really recommend any books to you just off the top of my head! However, there is a book of fiction by Olive Ann Burns that is set in Georgia that I highly recommend. It is called "Cold Sassy Tree".

      Delete
    4. Dear Kay, I'll look for it in our library. And, I so agree with your first response, that during our country's history all sorts of negative and reprehensible things happened throughout the country, not just in the South. I want all that history to be taught. We all need to be informed about our past so that we do not end up reliving what never should have been in the first place. Peace from Dee Ready

      Delete
  15. Dear Kay, you said in one of your responses to my comments that you loved Elvis. I did too. Just wanted you to know that I added a video of his sing "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You" to my postings on August 19. You might enjoy listening to it--or reading the posting. Also, my library did have the book you suggested "Cold Sassy Tree" as well as it's unfinished sequel. I borrowed them from the library. Thanks again for the suggestion. Peace from Dee Ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you will enjoy the books! The way she wrote about the differences between town and country folk is spot on, I think. (My Daddy was Country.) I am embarrassed to say that I should know your blog name but I can't link to it, you come up as Anonymous! Tell me your blog name, pretty please! Peace to you!

      Delete