Thursday, December 23, 2021

Christmas 2021- Buffalo Plaid and Gnomes!



 

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas, my friends!

Anybody else notice that for Christmas this year it seems that buffalo plaid and gnomes are simply everywhere! I told you in my last post that we bought a new Christmas tree this year but then, I needed a tree skirt to go around it.  After looking at the prices of tree skirts, the buffalo plaid blanket that my son gave me last year for Christmas suddenly became my new tree skirt!  Buffalo plaid, it is not only used in decor but is on pajamas, shirts, jackets...why, it's everywhere! Yet, why it is called buffalo plaid and where did it come from? You know there must be a story behind it!



If you remember, I have written a post about "plaid" and "tartan." In America, we say "plaid" but in the UK, it is called "tartan".  Of course, you should know that the tartan is from Scotland.  Therefore, when those from Scotland came to America, they brought their tartan cloths with them, made into blankets.  The Gaelic word for blanket is "pladjer" and the Native Americans, turned that into "plaid".


Okay then, the man we should thank for the Buffalo Plaid is a Scottish man named Jock McClusky, who was a descendant of "Rob Roy" MacGregor.  (Click on that link to learn more about him.)   Jock McClusky settled in Montana in the late 1800's and he was unusual at that time due to his fair dealings with the Native Americans.  He was most respected by many different tribes.  Jock McClusky would barter with them for buffalo pelts, offering things in exchange but the most coveted by the Native Americans were the blankets, especially with the red and black pattern.  (The Native Americans most appreciated the deep red, considering it to give the owner special powers.  And Jock McClusky, didn't tell them any different!)  There, doesn't that just give you a warm, fuzzy feeling for Christmas! The story of how the native people were treated here in America is very often a very sad thing but I think the story of the buffalo plaid is a good one and so now, when you see this familiar red and black pattern, you will smile and think, oh, that's nice to see, especially at this time of year.


"Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown.... that is a book that I read years ago and I highly recommend it.  OH, and one more..."Indian Givers: How Native Americans Transformed The World" by Jack Weatherford.  If you read one or both of these books, you will thank me!


Gnomes? Why are they so popular this year? I have no idea! Trends always amuse me!  I have read that gnomes are supposed to bring you luck and let's face it, after 2020 and 2021, we can use all the good luck we can get, right?  

----------------------------------------------------

Last year, I heard this hymn "The Shepherd's Carol" for the first time.  It was from Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge.  I loved it so much.  I have it here for you.

The Shepherd's Carol by Bob Chillcott
 
We stood on the hills, Lady,
Our day's work done, watching the frosted meadows
that winter had won.
The evening was calm, Lady,
The air so still.
Silence more lovely than music
folded the hill.
There was a star, Lady
shone in the night.
Larger than Venus it was
And bright, so bright
Oh, a voice from the sky, Lady
It seemed to us then
Telling of God being born 
in the world of men.
And so we have come, Lady,
our day's work done.
Our Love, our hopes, ourselves
We give to your son.




                    Merry Christmas to you all.  Peace and Joy! 


32 comments:

  1. I've also noticed the popularity of gnomes and buffalo plaid this year! I've got 2 large gnomes residing in my big basket of cushions at the moment. And just a couple of months ago, I bought myself a pair of blue-and-black buffalo plaid fleece PJ pants at the Hudson's Bay Company -- so cozy and warm, I love them! Thanks for teaching me the back story of how buffalo plaid got its name -- I did not know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, You are bang on trend- as always! Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  2. Can't say I have noticed the same here in Germany, but plaids/tartans always seem to pop up everywhere in late autumn, with a high of the ones with red and greens in them around Christmas. My sister and I have always loved checks, tartans, gingham, dogtooth, Prince of Wales checks - you name it, we love it! And such patterns feature quite big in my wardrobe. In fact, you have just inspired me for a post about that - some time after Christmas :-)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, dear Kay! Thank you for putting together so many interesting and entertaining posts for us this year, just like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you say dogtooth, we say houndstooth! In fact, I an wearing a houndstooth blouse right now! And I should have said how popular plaid and gnomes are here in America. I've hardly gone out of this little county in quite some time!😏Merry Christmas to you in your gorgeous part of the world!

      Delete
  3. Interesting about the Buffalo Plaid. I have two gnomes that guard my plants. I like them. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy little plant guarding gnomes, I love that. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Jock McClusky sounds a typical good Scotsman.
    Lots like him...
    May your Christmas be a special one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like you!😊 A very happy Christmas to you!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the story about Buffalo plaid. Yes, that was my daughter's son in the photo of the buffalo plaid shirt in my blog. One of my son's and his family are all going to be wearing it this year. It is popular ! So are the Gnomes. Wishing you a Merry Christmas Eve and a happy and Lucky New Year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to tell the story about the buffalo plaid to your grandchildren. Something positive! Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

      Delete
  6. I've noticed the plaid and gnomes, too, and wondered about them. Thanks for the info on plaid. Merry Christmas!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, after growing up in Oklahoma and acing Oklahoma History, I hadn't heard about that connection. Very interesting. Then again, it was a tad warmer in Oklahoma, so maybe they didn't need blankets as much, and many "negotiators" took away so much from the Central Plains Indians. If there were more McClusky types in Oklahoma, maybe the state wouldn't have been stolen from the Indians.
    Have a Merry and Warm Christmas! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days you can't believe everything you read but the story I gave you for the background appears to be true. There must be some reason we say plaid in America and they say tartan in Britain! There will always be need of more people like Jock McClusky, to treat everyone with respect. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. A blessed and beautiful Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely to hear about someone who actually treated the Native Americans fairly. It's rare to hear about something good when you hear about their past. I love the idea of the plaid too. Tartan hunh? I shall have to remember that if I find myself in Scotland. Have a wonderful, peaceful and safe Christmas, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! And not just Scotland but anywhere in the UK, it is tartan not plaid. I remember my English mother in law saying she liked my tartan scarf! Those books I told you about? Kay, you would really like them, I promise. Merry Christmas! Aloha!

      Delete
  10. Gnomes are going to take over the world, Kay! HAHA Merry Christmas. Wishing peace, love and joy to you and those you love. 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha! So lovely to see your comment!! Let's go to Cuba and walk on the beaches, you know I will always think of your photos from there. Wishing you peace, love and joy! Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  11. I have resisted the gnome trend because I've afraid I'd be stuck with a bunch that will be out of style one day! But I love the buffalo plaid and my sister even made curtains for her kitchen this year in that plaid and it looks so cute! Funny how trends come and go. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day Kay! Thank you for that beautiful song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing, if you keep things long enough they cone back in style! Ask me how I know!! LOL! So glad you liked the song too, I had never heard it til last year. Hope you are taking it easy and enjoying your lovely family. God bless you!

      Delete
  12. During this Season I'm most grateful for the beautiful music you share with your Readers. We attended Christmas Eve services last night and the choir performed "In the Bleak Mid-Winter." You wrote about its origins and played it back on 12/11/20. I saved your post and went back and re-listened over and over today. Thank you for making a Christmas memory for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have made my day! Thank you so much! I've read that most people never click on videos that are shared on blogging posts but you will never know how much time I take to select just the right one!😊So please know how much I appreciate YOU taking the time to listen. Blessings on you!

      Delete
    2. Oh I listen, learn something, and bookmark favorites to my personal playlist (I'm not very technical). BTW, my husband is a amatuer songwriter too and taught the craft for 20 years for NSAI. So we're just "eat up" with music, and I love how you appreciate the creators and writers. Isn't it wonderful to have music in our lives during these trying times?

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed, I think we need music now more than ever!

      Delete
  13. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! The Gnomes ARE taking over! lol.. Thanks for the background info on the plaid/tartan, hadn't thought about the connection. Buffalo plaid has been popular here for a long time. I'm of Scottish descent and our tartan has lots of blue and green, very little red so not as good for Christmas decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Hope you're having some happy holidays! I don't know, blue and green tartan could be used too, I notice a lot more blue used in Christmas decorations. You could start a new trend! Wishing you the best in the new year and always.

      Delete
  14. Merry Christmas Kay. I have never heard of buffalo plaid or skirts for Christmas trees although the colours are a close match for our ubiquitous travel rug pattern you buy in garages over here. Mind you, reading Yahoo News articles for the last few years online I've learned there's thousands of words and phrases North America uses that we do not and that before the current age of global communication that would have been one way how completely different languages (and attitudes) developed over time in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you! Do you not use tartan in Scotland for Christmas decor? And you don't have tree skirts? Well, neither do I really, mine is a blanket! I found that interesting that the Scot was respectful of Indians and they responded in kind. And we have lots of words and phrases that we say everyday in America that we have gotten from Native Americans. Those books I recommended? You should read them! Happy 2022!

      Delete