Sunday, November 28, 2021

November (How Sweet It Is)

 



 What a lovely late Autumn we have been having in Georgia! The leaves are rapidly falling now but they have been spectacular all through November...































What a pleasure to walk along under the trees and to look up and now and then and see the leaves with the sun shining upon them, truly gorgeous.  Now, I have not been able to go on as many walks as I would have liked but I have truly admired the trees along my drive to work and also those planted in the parking lot at my job.  The reds and golds of late Autumn are simply breathtaking.

It is always the fourth Thursday in November when we celebrate Thanksgiving here in America.  It was a lovely day. Richard and I watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special on TV and I loved how it was pointed out by the wonderful Charles Schultz that America is the only country that has a national holiday that is set aside simply for giving thanks.  

November is also the month of our son's birthday! Happy Birthday to C.!  He shares a birthday with Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown.  Remember me telling y'all about the great documentary about Motown, "Hitsville: The Making of Motown"?  My son watched it and he has been on a quest to read all the books he can find about Motown and of course listen to the great music. Songwriter that he is, he recognizes the true gift of songwriters! He brought a book for me to read, one that he really enjoyed.  "How Sweet It Is" by Lamont Dozier.  You might recognize the name from the songwriting team from Motown, "Holland -Dozier - Holland".  (Lamont Dozier writing with the Holland brothers, Eddie and Brian.)  Now, I have not had time to finish the book yet but it is a fantastic book! He even gives his counsel on the art of songwriting. (A nice touch, each time that he offers his advice, the words on the pages are in a bolder print.)







What song for this post? Of course, it has to be Motown! Not just one song but a medley from The Four Tops from The Ed Sullivan Show.  Be sure to listen to the very end! 
  Does anyone remember how Don Cornelius always ended "Soul Train"?
"Wishing you love, peace and...SOUL!"

Wishing the same to you all!



20 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is a national holiday in Canada too, but earlier than yours -- ours is on the 2nd Monday in October. You celebrate Columbus Day on that date instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, but I suppose Charles Schultz was including you too since you are in North America. He didn't say USA but America. Can you tell I'm crazy about the creator of Peanuts?

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pictures, Kay - thank you for sharing them, and I am glad that you got at least some walking in to enjoy the autumn colours! Also, it is so "you" to even notice the beauty of the trees on your parking lot at work. I am like that, too :-)
    Here in Germany, Erntedank ("Harvest Thanks") is a church event, not a public holiday but celebrated in churches, kindergardens, schools and so on (if they are so inclined). It is at the end of summer, and I have always loved it; the abundance of fruit and produce displayed in front of the altar, to be distributed for charity later. Gratitude is a dominating emotion in my life, so our Erntedank has always suited me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also have Harvest Festivals in England too which I'm sure you know! I took lots of photos of the trees in parking lot at work but they are on my phone so I can't share them here. The red maples were so beautiful. I must send you a long chatty email! I think time must be condensing somehow. Take care!

      Delete
  3. What a pleasure to see your autumn colours. That always lifts up my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham! Your great photos of your gorgeous island are uplifting to me too! Richard's photos are so good, I'm happy to share them here. Our autumnal colors amaze me every year.

      Delete
  4. Our trees are now bare and we've had some snow. The leaves are all on the ground. I saw this morning on TV that they had the Soul Train Awards. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday to your son. How wonderful that he writes songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, our son has always been a writer. It is how he makes his living as an adult! The songwriting part though he has just done for fun, I hope he can share his songs with the world one day.

      Delete
  5. Having lived in Detroit for so many years I appreciate the sounds of Motown and all that goes with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating story,the history of Motown. I hope you saw that documentary, Hitsville:The Making of Motown. It's so good!

      Delete
  6. Your autumn is beautiful! Also, you teach me more about music than i'd ever find out on my own, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, I'm very interested in the background story of songs and songwriters. I drive myself crazy looking stuff up!!😊

      Delete
  7. Loved the music! I was hoping to see Ed Sullivan do the Boogaloo! Our leaves lasted longer this year and I was sorry to say goodbye to Fall. Your leaf pics are beautiful! We've already had a few snowfalls. So I truly feel winter has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And our weather here has been crazy. All the Christmas decorations up now and yesterday, it was in mid 70's!

      Delete
  8. They don't write music like that anymore!
    Loved the sound...
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice thing though, we can still enjoy the music from that time today and introduce it to younger generations! We just have to educate them!😊Hugs to you!

      Delete
  9. Ahhhh the 4 Tops a real favorite of mine. Saw them in concert once. They were fantastic. I also like the fact that they stuck to their original members, not like the Temptations. Nice pictures. Our fall wasn't particularly pretty this year and didn't last long at all with all the high wind and rain we had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lucky you got to see The 4 Tops!!! Our Fall was very late this year in Georgia but when the leaves began to change, it was stunning.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I sure do! So nice to see your comment here! Take care.

      Delete