Friday, February 21, 2020

100 Years Ago





I've been telling you about my husband's father lately. Today, Feb. 21st, 2020, would have been his 100th birthday.  Richard wrote something on his Facebook and he has allowed me to share it with you here.  (The photo above is of his parents on the beach in Eastbourne sometime in the 1950's.)  



100 years ago today my father, William  "Bill"  to family and friends - was born in Holborn in London. Twenty - something years later when he and his two brothers were in various parts of the world fighting for their lives and our future, the family home in London was destroyed by the Luftwaffe but none of my family was seriously hurt. Tragically, my father died in 1959 - almost certainly as a result of his service during World War 2 - having spent five years of his short life in military service. When at last the war was over and my father returned from Burma to the family home - which was by now a prefabricated house in the southern suburbs of London - he arrived at the front door in the middle of the night. Rather than wake the family, he sat outside and waited for the day to dawn! This may be hopelessly sentimental but I imagine he enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the English night as he sat outside and probably smoked a pipe or two of tobacco. I hope there was a beautiful sunrise and dawn chorus as all the while he was looking forward to the first of many happy reunions. My father did come home from the war and I know hundreds of thousands did not, but the inscription on the Kohima Memorial in India to the fallen of the Campaign in Burma still seems appropriate to me: " When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today. " We owe so much to the Greatest Generation! Thanks, Dad! Wish you could have had a lot more time with us! And thank you, my friends, if you've made it through this! " At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."


There...I hope you found that as moving as I did. The story of him getting back home and staying out in the garden...perhaps relishing the sound of the dawn chorus and the peace of being back home. It does paint a picture, doesn't it?  

 I knew that Richard was writing this and the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" came into my head. I think it fits this post. So, I have it for you here...




32 comments:

  1. How very very touching.Today is also my late brother's birthday. My father's is on the 26th. He was born in 1897 and did not have me until he was in his 50s. I was his first child. He was a medic in WWI so saw things he never talked about. Thank Richard for sharing his story. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. World War I was so terrible, it is no wonder that he didn't speak about it. Thanks very much for your comment, Diana! My husband will appreciate your words just as I do. xx

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story, and a song I have always loved!
    thanks for posting this ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I am thankful for your comment here also.

      Delete
  3. An emotive, heartfelt tribute to a much-loved gentleman.

    Thanks for sharing this story with us, Kay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A much-loved gentleman, you have understood that perfectly!
      Thank you. xx

      Delete
  4. I have to say that the tears welling up in my eyes are making it hard to type this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much, Graham, I know just what you mean.

      Delete
  5. Well written and a good memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I will tell Richard you said so.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful tory of finding peace after the war. We will always remember them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Love the quote, oh yes, The Greatest Generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louis Zamperini liked to call his generation, the "hardy" generation, and if you look up that word, you can see his meaning. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. I am in tears...This is a beautiful tribute. I'm sorry Richard lost his father so soon. Sorry his father lost his life so soon. He sounds like such a wonderful person, so thoughtful of others, so brave. May he rest in perfect peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, thoughtful, brave...that is a lovely observation. Thank you! xx

      Delete
  9. A worthy tribute and commemoration! The Burma campaign was particularly brutal so yes, no surprise that the effects of that shortened his life. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. I am thankful that Richard was able to get some thoughts down. It's hard sometimes to write of something that you care deeply about.

      Delete
  10. Very moving, and it is wonderful of Richard sharing this with us through your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read this on Richard's Facebook, I knew I wanted to share it on my blog! You can see why I married my pen-pal, the man can write. xx

      Delete
  11. My father never went off to war, so I don't know what it was like to have a father who did. That song is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A precious post and lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please thank Richard for allowing you to share his beautiful family history. It made me teary to read it. I can imagine his dad feeling the peace of the English night, but I also marvel at his incredible kindness in allowing his family to get their rest before the reunion. It really tells you about the beauty of this man, this father, this husband, this patriot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is lovely...this father, this husband,this patriot.
      Thank you, Kay!
      And I know Richard will read the comments here, so I appreciate yours very much. xx

      Delete
  14. This was so moving. Happy Birthday to that wonderful man and I'm so thankful for his and the many others of that generation for all their service and for keeping this world safe...atleast for that time! My Grandson's birthday is Feb. 21 too. It will be interesting to see the world at his 100th bday..not that I'll be around of course! I'll have to watch from above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH your grandson's birthday is also Feb. 21st! That is wonderful.
      How different will the world be on his 100th birthday? Hopefully, we will be able to beam ourselves around and there will be no traffic jams, that sounds like heaven to me! :-)

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was so beautiful and moving, Kay. Thank you and Richard for sharing this! That photo of Richard's parents is so poignant: Two people young and in love with all their lives ahead of them. It goes so fast. And those words: "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today." So powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise! I love that photo of them, so young! Richard looks like both of them. I will tell Richard that you liked his writing, and you are such a good writer, that means a lot. xx

      Delete
  17. Thank you, Jan! All the best to you also. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you. You don't hear the word "gentleman" much anymore.

    ReplyDelete